“I wanted to like the hotel, but....”

SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel has a lot of potential. The lobby is very open and airy, and the room design is impressively modern. The breakfast is predictable, and fruit is left out into the night for late snacking. All the right touches were there, except for a couple of things that made all the difference. Despite the appearances, the rooms are really set up for one occupant. There is a single sink, the WC has a sliding door that doesn't fully close, frosted glass doors wake up a sleeping partner if using the WC at night, and the spaces in the king room require some maneuvering to pass. The separation of the working area from the bedroom is nice. But, at least in our room, the fan loft directly above our room started rumbling at around 10pm and seemed to last all night, making sleep virtually impossible for a sound sensitive person like me. Overall, an average stay, but stay away from room 502 if low frequency noise bothers you.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelguyPa
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear travelguyPA,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you liked the lobby area and the room design but I’m sorry to hear that your stay was affected by a roof top a/c unit. I hope that if you are in the Columbia area again you will look to us and enjoy a quieter room location.

Jacob Toda

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I enjoyed the room layout and the aqua colors and shimmering bath tiles and well designed lighting. The flat screen TV is in the center of the room so I did not hear anyone elses TV. The room entry doors are at an angle so I did not hear anyone in the hallway. I got a great nights sleep. I know the Hotel was busy with a wedding party that was staying the same night. The breakfast starts at 6:30 am and it was very busy in the breakfast area at 7:15 am when I was leaving so get downstairs early if you can. I will stay here again when I am in Columbia SC.

Room Tip: FIfth floor room 518 is at the corner above the front of the hotel with a wing of rooms on the side...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

BusinessTravellerVA,

Thanks for leaving us such a great review on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear that you'll be staying with us the next time you are in Columbia! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Shower and vanity in one room, toilet and sink in another room. My husband and I found ourselves bumping into each other going back and forth between areas.

Also have frosted glass doors on toilet and shower so if your partner wants to sleep in they can't because the lights go right through the doors and the beds are directly across from the rooms.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

AnnC,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm so sorry to hear that the layout of our rooms did not work well for you and your husband. I hope you were still able to enjoy your stay and your visit in Columbia! Have a great summer!

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I don't have to wait to write my review. This hotel is awesome! Has a bar that stays open until late, has unusual but way cool floor plans, and has folks who go the extra mile. Will be here one more night - don't hate me because I'm loving this place!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Carasnyder2001,
Wow! Thank you so much for the awesome review! I'm so glad to know that you and your family had such a wonderful experience at our hotel and that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. Hopefully we'll be able to accommodate you soon in the future!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here for our daughter's visit to USC. It is an excellent location if the school is what brings you to the area. There are a few hotels closer, but we didn't know the city at all when making the reservation. As it turns out, we didn't do too bad. It was just a short drive to campus where we were allowed to park free at the admissions office since we had a rescheduled visit. This hotel lives up to the quality expected of its namesake. The lobby and rooms were clean and well maintained. Check in was quick and our reservation was in order upon arrival. Parking is free and off the street, which is always a bonus when staying in the city. The breakfast was the usual Marriott fare including pastries, fruits, cereals, yogurt, waffles, eggs, sausage.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Redelaneymd,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review! I'm happy to hear that our hotel was able to meet all of your travel needs. Hopefully USC will be your daughter's school of choice and we'll have the opportunity to accommodate you much in the future!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The décor is contemporary and unique. I was fascinated with the way the small room was designed and decorated to feel large and comfortable, AND attractive. Instructions for getting onto Wi-Fi for my android smart phone were not clear, so I had to call the tech services number and did get good help. The continental breakfast was just fine. BUT, why do these hotels have to use those fake eggs!! and I think the sausage was fairly cheap. I would have liked less choices and better eggs and sausage. A friend traveling with us had a room that was near the street and heard sirens off and on all night. Our room was quiet. Fitness room nice and pool nice.
...btw, reviews for pizza and Mexican restaurants were not good, and we didn't want to drive to the recommended, average priced tavern, so we walked to Publix and got "supper" to eat in the dining area of the lobby. Had a fun indoor picnic.

Room Tip: rooms facing streets are noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

92ncca,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm glad the set up of our rooms worked so well for you! Next time you're passing through Columbia, we hope you'll look to us again to meet your travel needs.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

This place was great! I checked in late and they had suggestions for dinner as well as a nicely stocked mini store. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room! The hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful. The continental breakfast was great! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Liz S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback! I hope you get to visit Columbia again soon and will look to us for your hotel needs

Jacob Toda