“Exceptional design and lighting; outstanding cleanliness.”

SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed December 23, 2011

The design of the room was very efficient, with each task/living area well planned for convenience. The lighting was exceptional, a feature that is so lacking in many hotels.
There is a clean and fresh feeling to the room; I am extremely particular about this, and few places measure up so well. Every staff member was courteous and helpful, as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank worldtravelinggrandm

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Springhill Suites was the event hotel for a weekend in Columbia. It turned out to be a good choice!

The room was Euro-styled, attractive, and made good use of ample space. There are separate living and sleeping areas. The living area includes desk space, a mini-refrigerator and a microwave. HD cable TV appeared on a large flat-screen TV that can be angled to favor either the living or sleeping area. A big plus was separate rooms for shower and toilet. This is handy for more than one guest. There is no tub. There is no closet, only a wardrobe, with plenty of room for hanging clothes but only 2 half-width drawers. There is one additional drawer under the TV. Drawer space works for short stays for one or two people but might be challenging for longer stays or families. A wall thermostat easily controls cooling, heating, and fan. Free wired and wireless internet access is available in the rooms and elsewhere. I used the wireless internet in the room and it worked well.

A buffet breakfast is included, and this service is well done with plenty of choices and staff making sure that everything is as it should be.

Other hotel amenities include an indoor pool, fitness center, and places to conduct business. I didn't use any of these, but they all looked nice. There is ample free parking.

This area of Columbia is historic, and at first looks like blocks of brick warehouses. It turns out that these buildings actually are full of shops, salons and restaurants. I walked to nice restaurants both nights. I got mixed reports on walking the neighborhood after dark, but I didn't experience a problem. The hotel is only a matter of blocks to the center of downtown.

I had one problem of my own making: I left my iPod Touch on the nightstand by the bed. I realized this only hours after checking out and called the hotel. The front desk didn't want to do much besides telling me it hadn't been turned in, and that I could call the manager the next day (Monday). I called first thing in the morning. The manager was in but I got her voice-mail. After waiting hours for a return call, I called again in the afternoon, got her directly, and was told that she would get right on the problem and have someone call me back. By this time, my iPod was long gone. I have no doubt that this would have turned out better if the Sunday staff had made an effort.

This self-made problem was the only negative aspect to my stay. Overall, this is a nice, well-run facility and I would be happy to stay again.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dbjennings
Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife, children and I stayed at this property the night before a South Carolina football game. We had dinner near the Vista which is in walking distance to the property. The rooms, lobby, and bar were fresh, bright, and clean. The hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. We had no problems with our stay. We especially liked the rooms - great little seating area, desk, flast screen tv, coffe maker, etc. The breakfast was good - constantly refreshed and cleaned. We will DEFINITELY stay here again.

Room Tip: high rooms have a great view of the skyline
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MarkinCHS
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Major dissapointment in this hotel. First of all, if you are 5'2 or shorter, do not stay at this hotel, the bathroom mirrors are designed for the very tall, there is a circle in the middle of the mirror that blocks anyone even average height from seeing themselves in the mirror. I had to stand on my tippy toes to see what I was doing, the big circle blocks everything, why not just have a regular mirror like other hotels, that way it is not a hassle to try to see yourself in the mirror. Then the other bathroom has a tiny sink and a toilet, which is absurd, there is nowhere to put any toiletries around that sink, and the mirror in there is in a very narrow corner, again, unable to see or even dry your hair. The showerhead is so high up, I don't think even a tall person could adjust it, but it didn't matter because the water pressure was horrible. Black out curtains were not long enough for the window, and had bright parking lights constantly outside my window. This is just too much work for me after a long drive from W.V., and was never asked how my stay was upon checkout. I will not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel there are better ones
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Spent weekend in Columbia visiting family and stayed at this hotel. Very clean, secure, and location. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: great "free" breakfast
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed overnight (10/13/11) at the Springhill Suites in the Vista district of downtown Columbia, SC.

I was pretty pleased with the experience. The room was large with a comfy bed. All the fixtures were very modern (sliding glass bathroom doors, etc). There are two distinct areas in the room: a living area with a couch and a work space along with small kitchenette (refridgerator/microwave/coffee maker). Beyond the barrier is the bedroom that features a separate toilet "room" with sink and a separate room with a full glass shower and sink.

The high speed internet was fine, but is free only for 24 hours. To access a so-called higher speed for the length of your stay is $7.95/day. Kind of a rip off if you ask me.

I was also not pleased to have an additional "hold" put on my check card for $30. They do inform you at the desk, but geez, when did it become OK for hotels to do this? It's pretty maddening, especially if you're being reimbursed for charges by your company instead of being on a per-diem.

The hot breakfast was so-so. The eggs and hashbrowns were gross! But the bacon and waffles were nice.

I can say that the bar lady went above and beyond while I was there. I had purchased a cupcake for dessert from a bakery in the Vista and wanting some milk to go with it, I went down to the small "store" in the lobby. There was no milk to be had so I went over to the bar on a whim. The bartender very nicely retrieved me a small carton of milk from the breakfast area for no charge. So snaps to her.

Overall, I would stay in a Springhill Suites again.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an upper floor on the parking lot side.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stay at a lot of Marriott hotels for work and play. This is by far the best SpringHill I've stayed at. My fiance and I were in town for the USC/Navy game, so I figured we'd give this one a try since other reviews said that it was a nice, new place.

The place is surprisingly spacious and very modern. Our room was very nice, although the air conditioner was a bit over-zealous. The free hot breakfast was better than most I've had in the past (waffle makers!) and free wi-fi always rocks.

For price/Marriott point value, I highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2011