“AH-MAZ-ING”

Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 108 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is home to nearly 2,000 animals that represent more than 350 species from around the world. A visit to the Zoo will play host to an array of wild adventures from a diving expedition on a Pacific coral reef to a safari through the plains of Africa to an interactive Outback encounter with a flock of sociable lorikeets. The Botanical Garden boasts 70-acres of unparalleled beauty and is considered one of the America's best public gardens. Dramatic and themed gardens showcase more than 4,300 species of native and exotic plants, providing a living classroom for gardeners and non-gardeners alike. The Garden also is the gateway to natural river views and spectacular valley overlooks. In addition, guests can view structural remains dating back to the early 1800s with South Carolina's textile industry and the Civil War.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The clean habitats wee beutiful and always changing as is the garden! And there were voulunteers that we're just teens that were so knowledgeable as to what items they were talking about! They even had a little game for the kids and it was a GREAT learning expire nice for them!

1  Thank Sam H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,414)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I love the Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, I really do. There is nothing negative about it from an educational or family fun perspective. My kids have attended camps and homeschool classes at the zoo and have enjoyed every minute. I do think it is important to note, though, that the enclosures are very small and the animal housing is on the older side. My family has been to zoos all over the world and while Riverbanks is an amazing place, you may find it more of an entertaining place than an a great example of what an animal sanctuary can be. Again, I love it at the zoo, but feel it is important that everyone know that animals can be kept more naturally in captivity.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We recently brought our 3 year old and 8 month old here and had a fantastic time! We went in February and wasn't sure how active the animals would be but was pleasantly surprised. They had numerous attractions indoors and lots of interactivity for the kiddos. Be sure to check out the pony rides, train ride, playground, carousel, and goat/giraffe feeding. I wouldn't recommend the nectar feeding for the birds unless you look in and see that they're hungry (we ended up throwing our cup away bc none of the birds wanted it). Overall we had a great experience would recommend it to others. Oh, we didn't make it there but there is also botanical gardens attached after walking over to the other side of the river. :-)

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I grew up in Columbia. All during my school years, we would take trips to the zoo. It was fun, but it was old and run down. Not anymore. My wife and I stopped here on our way back from Asheville to kill some time and we were very happy with the visit. The zoo looks fresh and modern, there are numerous types of animals to see, and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly. A must see if you are in Columbia.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

One of the best sights in Columbia, no matter how old I get - going to this zoo is always a wonderful experience!

We have been members of the zoo for many years and no matter how many times we visit we always see something different. The exhibits are constantly changing which keeps us coming back several times a year. You can take a tram across the river to see the botanical garden. If you’re here at Christmas be sure to check out the “lights before Christmas”.

As with any zoo the concession prices are a bit high … we always eat before or after our visit.