“GOOOOOO GAMECOCKS”

University of South Carolina
Ranked #4 of 109 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: University of South Carolina.
Columbia, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“GOOOOOO GAMECOCKS”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a beautiful campus to visit in the fall! The historic Horseshoe is a beautiful and bustling campus hub during the day! The Thomas Cooper Library is a great place to read up on some SC history.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Sami C

• Korean first
Houston, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Baseball”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was surprised with how small of a campus it is. The historic horseshoe area is nice, but as far as college campuses go, it was pretty average.

Usually I try to walk into the visitor's center and find out if there are any tours going on that I can tag along with. I already finished college, so I'm not a prospective student, and never feel comfortable signing up for a tour in advance. But South Carolina is quite stingy about walk-in visitors and they will only let you on a tour if someone else scheduled for that tour doesn't show up. I signed up for a waiting list and actually did get on a tour, but this is just a warning for you. If you want to take a guided tour, make sure you sign up in advance. The tour is very heavily geared toward prospective students, but I expect that. I still got to learn a lot about the university, and our tour guide was one of the best ones I've had on any college campus. Very engaging and friendly and knowledgeable.

My true purpose in being here was to see my own team play the Gamecocks in a baseball weekend series. I was so impressed with everything about Gamecock baseball! Carolina Stadium is truly like a minor league park. I can't count the number of times a Gamecock fan came up to me to welcome me to Columbia, thank me for being there, tell me they're glad to have us in the SEC, and just talk to me about baseball. All three nights, the people I sat next to talked to me about baseball and we exchanged stories about our teams and caught each other up on the strengths and weaknesses of each of the players. I have been going to watch my team play at other universities for a long time, and I can say without a doubt that Carolina fans are the nicest and most knowledgeable baseball fans that I have met. They fill their large stadium pretty full. Truly a great experience for a visiting fan, and it made a Gamecock fan out of me; I'll root for them if they're not playing my team. ;) If it was closer, I'd go more often!

The parking shuttle is great and efficient. Programs and scorecards were free.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank txag08
Wrentham, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Parents weekend”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Beautiful campus,visiting my daughter. Great location in Columbia. Easy walking to restaurants,10min. walk to 5 points area.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank walnut382004
Brookline, New Hampshire
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A Nice Walk on Campus”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I havd a very nice walk on campus the other day while visiting the city on business. The Horseshoe is especially pretty with the older buidlings and tree lined paths.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank foresterc
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“First college library in the U.S. ”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The historic Horseshoe is one of the most evocative places you'll ever see on an American university campus. This old woman cherishes the memories, is grateful for the excellent College of Journalism and Honors program, and still yells "Go 'Cocks!" at an embarassing volume at the merest hint of a good reason, having been a fan long before it was fun. Keep Calm & Trust the Visor! It's good to be a Gamecock.

1 Thank susansname

Been to University of South Carolina? Share your experiences!