“Redeemed by Great Customer Service--Marred by irresponsiblity”

Carolina University Inn
Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Texas
“Redeemed by Great Customer Service--Marred by irresponsiblity”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I was on a trip to a conference held at the Clarion Downtown Hotel in Columbia, South Carolina. I missed my initial flight scheduled to arrive at 5pm and called the hotel at 3pm to inform them that I would be on a later flight arriving at 11pm. The office clerk informed me that the shuttle stops running at 10pm so I would need to take a taxi. So far so good. Little did I know that upon my arrival at 11pm my reservation was canceled. If it was not for the kind words, patience and professionalism of Veronica, Clarion Downtown would have lost not only my business in the future, but that of my university.

Recommended on the redeeming graces of Veronica.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
South Carolina
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Can't explained how nice and clean the hotel is, the service was excellent, late breakfast on the weekend until 2 am, parking is good, I will stay there every time I come to SC

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Hilton Head, SC
Reviewed December 16, 2009

My daughter graduated from the University of South Carolina and we had 14 people for which accomodations were necessary. The staff at the Clarion was great! They provided transportation for our entire group to graduation and to dinner. We also ate in the restaurant and the staff and food were great--and affordable. Everyone in our party was talking about how nicely they had been treated by the staff. I would definitely stay there again. The rooms were good sized, clean, and the lobby provided a cozy spot for our group to visit without trying to get everyone into one of the rooms. Thank you Clarion, for making our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank broomel
summerville
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights. This was an extemely home feel hotel. The staff was incredible and very friendly. There are some really nice exterior corridor rooms but they actually look porch entrance rooms. And they are budget friendly as well. The restaurant serves a cool 10pm to 2am Fri /Sat breakfast buffet. It was great for a late night meal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CarrieS09
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Nothing impressed me about this hotel though nothing really horrified me either. Half of the hotel is motel-style rooms with outside entrances and half is in a big central building. I stayed in a motel-style room and it was a bit disappointing. I never had very much hot water (showers ranged from tepid to just barely warm enough, never hot). The water pressure in the sink was quite low and never ran cold (so if you wanted to drink it, it was always kind of warm). The drop down ceiling tiles over the shower were somewhat water-stained; also there were stains on the bathroom floor. None of this was really gross and horrifying but neither did it feel like I was staying at a nice hotel.

The bed was pretty comfortable with nice pillows. There was free internet that worked fairly well. It is an easy walk to downtown, the legislature, and the USC campus.

I suspect the rooms in the main building are better. My friends who stayed there said they never had water problems. Also I suspect its quieter in that building -- the parking lot got a bit loud in the mornings with kids, and cars, and suitcase rolling by. So you might try to request the main building.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Greenville, SC
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This was our second time staying at this Clarion. We are now VERY big Choice hotels fans. Because of our Costco membership, we get 10% off rooms at their hotels.

The bed is very soft and the pillows and comforter are heaven. The room is huge! We love the in-room breakfast choices available ($6.00-$12.00 range) and delivered exactly when you want it. I love opening my eyes and having breakfast-in-bed delivered to my door within five minutes! We always order the "American" and can never finish it all: eggs how you like them, bacon or sausage, toast, and breakfast potatos, juice and coffee.

I only have two complaints about this hotel. 1) our room was super clean, but when we opened the door we were assaulted by a waft of perfumey air freshener which faded after a couple of hours, 2) The front desk staff was rushed and not very attentive, due to understaffing.

I would recommend anyone stay at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed at the Clarion for a conference and had a very nice experience. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel a few blocks from the state capitol but it is a healthy walk to any restaurants. We arrived in the pouring rain without a car. The hotel shuttle (which was waiting for us at the airport even though we were delayed) was not available, so we got pretty wet going out for dinner. There isn't any real shopping in the area, although they are trying to revitalize the city.

The shuttle was not available for our return trip to the airport, so the hotel ordered a paid for a taxi, which was a very nice touch.

• Liked — helpful staff and clean room
  • Disliked — location and no views
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)