“Good value and location”

Carolina University Inn
Ranked #74 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Chicago
“Good value and location”
Reviewed November 15, 2007

The hotel was situated in a great location near campus, near the Capital and relatively close to 5 points or the Vista. The staff were very accommodating, competent and friendly - a true rarity these days. They deserve a raise. The place is not the four seasons but you get good value. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Value, location and staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
new york
Reviewed July 23, 2007

for the price, could be better.
the rooms were dated. only thing was good was that the pillows were just right, and that the bedheads and furniture seems new.
the carpet was dinghy, and the toilet needed servicing everyday.
the towels that they put out, were also dirty, so check before u use.
the shower had a bit of mold. all they needed was to spray bleach on it.
lobby was nice, but the rooms were old.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank erlich5
NC
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I recently stayed at the hotel for a family memebers wedding. The rooms are very outdated and "worn". Furtniture had lots of dings and scratches. . The price was not equal to the room. Still I tried to keep an open mind. The function I attended was nice. I actually called the sales office a few days later to inquire about availabilty for an event I am holding next year. After several calls to a gentleman in the sales office, I gave up...he never returned my calls!! So, after that and the condition of the rooms I would never us this place again!!!! Obviously they don't need my business

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JWery
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2007

Carpet dingy, long black hair in bathroom, mold in bathtub, stained furniture - description on Expedia is that this place was "recently renovated" - if that is correct - I can't imagine what it looked like before. Called for a wake up call - never happened.
Description was 3 Stars. As usual lobby was beautiful - must have been what was renovated.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan G
Myrtle Beach
Reviewed March 6, 2007

The main hotel was great. Rooms were very clean and nice. The parking was horrible and my 12 year old daughter and I were alone and required to park in a Law Firm parking lot about two blocks from the entrance. This hotel has many local functions on the weekends so keep that in mind when booking. They do not issue parking passes for guests staying at the hotel so parking is usually full. I expressed at check in and several times during our stay how dangerous it is to have guests walking that far with no security in downtown Columbia. It would be a good idea to give registered guests a parking pass with priority to the parking lot at the hotel. The employees were more than helpful and friendly. The breakfast at Caroline's (restaurant on site) was delicious although I am wondering why my cc was charged $18.01 when I signed a receipt for $15.01 and left $3.00 in cash on the table for a tip. Not sure that I will check into that as it is only $3.00. We were in town for a cheerleading competition and did hear complaints from other parents about the Townhouse portion of the hotel. I did not view any of those rooms but did request to be in the main building. Overall, a great stay.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed March 2007
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed February 10, 2007

My best friend & I were in town, to see John Mayer on 2/8/07 @ the Civic Center. We travelled from NC. Never been to Columbia, so this was a first.
The Clarion Townhouse Hotel surpassed my expectations. The room was very clean! The thermostat was right on. The queen sized bed was oh so comfy as well as the pillows. The remote to the TV was NOT bolted to the nightstand!
Check-in was a breeze.
This hotel has a restaurant on premise, which was a plus, because when I called the hotel, they gave me 2 vouchers for Free Breakfast. They also have happy hour @ the bar from 4-6 with free hor dourves, so as we enjoyed a glass of wine, we munched on pizza that was delicious. So actually we paid for NO food our for our entire stay, which was excellent!
By the way the bartender's name was Christy and she was an asset to this hotel chain! She was so friendly and entertaining! She deserves a raise. You could tell the regulars loved her as well.
The staff called cabs for us John Mayer concert goers.
This would be the only "complaint" that I may have had. They had a shuttle van that they would not use to carry all of the people to the Civic center for the concert. They were probably around 30+ people. Seems like we all could have pitched in to rent the shuttle instead of all having to pay Taxi fares. But that like I said that would be the only "complaint".
This staff went above and beyond my expectations!
Rosa the cleaning lady was also helpful.
If I am ever in Columbia, SC again, I will most definitely stay at the Clarion Townhouse hotel!

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank bornredprincess
DE
Reviewed November 10, 2006

Location was perfect--we were in town for a college tour of USC. The staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions and directions. Room was decent size and clean. Furniture and bedding could use some updating as it was showing some wear. Ordered room service for breakfast and it was very good and inexpensive. For the price this hotel was okay and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Staff and Location
  • Disliked — Furniture/Bedding condition
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for intereior entry room