“Couldn't do enough to make the stay pleasant.”

TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson
Ranked #14 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Couldn't do enough to make the stay pleasant.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Second time I stayed there. It was consistent as the first. Friendly, clean and very comfortable. Staff was very accommodating. I give this hotel *****!
I love that they take pets :). Great breakfast every morning.

• Stayed March 2013
Robert G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Jeanne C,
Thank you for your kind words about TownePlace Suites by Marriot - Columbia SE/Fort Jackson! Our staff works hard to ensure that every guest experiences the best stay possible. We try our best to embody true "Southern Hospitality" and do whatever it takes to make your stay pleasant. While we are designed for longer term stays, we are able to accomodate short stays guests as well and we love repeat guests! Thank you so much for making TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Columbia SE/Fort Jackson your hotel of choice in the Columbia/Fort Jackson area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about 48 days and each day the staff made it feel like home. The daily refresh services of my room didn't leave me worrying that my personal belongings would be tampered with. The staff was always courteous and very accomodating. I asked for a full size body mirror and received one, even when I thought my request was maybe a little far fetched. The breakfast bar area and common area always remained neat and clean as well as the laundry and fitness area. Definately recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the Columbia / FT Jackson area or just driving through Columbia on a road trip. I doubt they will dissappoint!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Robert G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sheree J,
Thank you for your kind words about TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Columbia SE/Fort Jackson! As you know our brand is designed for those longer-than-normal stays, for guests that need a little extra room, or for guests that want a full kitchen so they can save a little money on food costs while traveling. Our staff works hard to ensure that every guest experiences the best stay possible. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you will visit us again very soon!
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I chose this hotel because it had a two bedroom suite with a living area and small kitchen. I thought this would be a perfect place to bring our new Army graduate for visiting with relatives. While the staff were courteous and professional and the grounds well kept, the furniture in the rooms was shabby and worn. The hotel is wedged up among several other hotels, apartments and the freeway making the location most unattractive. I was embarrassed to bring guests back to the hotel room. If you are expecting an "extended stay" hotel I think you will be happy with this choice.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the elevator and in the back away from the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Beckyleedavis,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. The staff of TownePlace Suites by Marriott Columbia SE/Fort Jackson works hard to ensure that every guest experiences the best stay possible. Our ownership is aware of the excessive wear issues with the furniture in some of our two bedroom suites and we are in the process of replacing that furniture. The two bedroom suites are very popular with families visiting for Fort Jackson graduation and see a lot of use. We work to ensure that they are clean and comfortable for every guest. Our location was chosen because it is convenient to area interstates, shopping, downtown Columbia and Fort Jackson. While this may not be appealing to everyone, our location does provide easy access to those things most requested by our guests. The TownePlace Suites by Marriott brand is designed as an extended stay brand and we are very proud that it has been selected to be the number one mid-scale extended stay brand by Business Travel News for the past two years. All our rooms include a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, stove or cook top, microwave and dish washer to make hotel living easier for those who need space and the ability to feel more at home while away from home. Again, I appreciate you taking time to write a review of our hotel and hope you will stay with us on your next visit to Columbia.
Hampton Roads, VA
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were traveling to the area to visit my father who recently had surgery and stayed in the King room for 2 nights. Room was a bit snug for 2 adults, child and dog, however it made do. Upon entering the room, we noticed a strong, musty smell that never really went away, and we were forced to keep the window open to try to air the room out. The bathroom was snug, but had nice sink and sink counter top. The shower head and pressure was good, but the tub was stained and the shower curtain liner was dirty! There is nothing worse than taking a shower while noticing dirt all around the tub, walls and curtain! Yuck! The bed, however, was vey comfy and slept very well. We noticed that we had an ant infestation in our kitchen and they got on our food, dishes and hubby's medications. We complained to the front desk and Justin eventually came to the room and sprayed the area. I guess it was all that could be done that night, and we were grateful that Justin was very concerned about our inconvenience. Breakfast was not great at all. There was a posted note stating that there were no scrambled eggs or hot sausage (and no reason why) and the waffle machine was broken on one day. I have had better breakfast food options and experiences at other Towneplace Suites (especially in Maryland at the Andrews AirForce Base location). Upon check out, I informed the GM-Mr. Gantt (?) of the ant situation and he stated that he had heard about that. While he apologized, he stated that sometimes you don't know when they are going to come out. Really? As a GM, this is your response to a displeased customer? And he only gave a $31 discount on our bill, even after I told him that the ants ruined our food, got into some of hubby's medication and was just overall unsanitary. His response appeared to be a standard corporate response. This was so unacceptable and I will be writing Marriott to complain further. No one should have to share a room with bugs, especially when you are paying hundreds of dollars for accommodations. I am a rewards member and always try to locate Marriott properties when I travel. Again, I am not used to this type of experience at TownePlace suites. This was a major let down. Two positive things, however, were staff member Justin's help and friendly and professional demeanor and the fact that there was not a high priced pet fee for our dog (one time $35 fee per stay). Will I be staying at this TownePlace Suites location again when I return to the area? Probably not unfortunately. Sad, sad day for this Marriott regular.

Room Tip: consider a larger room over King Bed room, as this room was a bit too snug for 2 adults, child and d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Robert G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear DrCKJ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is our goal to have every guest experience the best stay possible. Obviously, we didn't meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we have taken steps to correct every issue you mentioned in your review. While your experience is not a common occurrence, we are human and occasionally there are issues. It is our hope that our efforts to resolve the issues are satisfactory. Please review the email I sent to your email address regarding the other steps taken to provide guest satisfaction. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. My staff and I hope will continue to work to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. We hope you will give us a chance to win your business in the future. Again, thank you for choosing our hotel.
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The staff is great and very pleasant (just like you would expect in the south…) and the property is in great shape. It was great to be on a business trip, visit my daughter at college and sit by the fire pit in the back of the hotel and enjoy the stars and relaxation.
The price and value are worth the stay at this location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rick C,
Thank you for your kind words. The staff of TownePlace Suites by Marriott Columbia SE/Fort Jackson works hard to ensure that every guest experiences the best stay possible. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Frequently we have parents come visit their children who are in school at USC (Go Gamecocks!) or come for graduation at Fort Jackson. We are so proud for you and your children. It is our hope that we can provide a home away from home while you are in Columbia and make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were here three nights in March 2013 with our dog and it was a very pleasant, quite and well staffed and we feel very fairly priced. We had two bedrooms and a very large bathroom. Each bedroom and the living room had TV's and separate a/c controls.

Dear Mary W,
Thank you for your kind words. The staff of TownePlace Suites by Marriott Columbia SE/Fort Jackson works hard to ensure that every guest has the best experience possible during their stay with us. I'm glad to hear that we met our goal. We appreciate that you selected our hotel and hope to have you visit with us again in the future!
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at TownePlace while attending a graduation at Ft. Jackson. The hotel staff was excellent, the room (we had a 2 bedroom suite) was comfortable, clean and well maintained. The breakfast was very good. The woman who provided for our needs at breakfast (sorry I didn't get her name) was so very helpful. Her personality was great - every request we made of her she took care of quickly. The staff was professional, pleasant and extremely polite. Ian, at the front desk, was especially helpful. We were very careful in selecting a hotel for this trip because we wanted our trip to be memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Patricia S,
Thank you for your kind words about TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Columbia SE/Fort Jackson! The staff of TownePlace Suites by Marriott works hard to ensure that every guest experiences the best stay possible. I'm glad to hear we met our goal. It is our pleasure to assist you with your needs or questions. As always, we look forward to your next visit with us at TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Columbia SE/Fort Jackson.