“No Hospitality here!”

Ranked #7 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Huntington, New York
“No Hospitality here!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My daughter is a student at USC in her second year and I visit her every other month for a few days. I have been staying at another hotel in the area but decided to try the Staybridge Suites. I made my reservations over the phone. My mother is handicapped so I asked for a room on the ground level. When I checked in I was told there was no note in here about her being handicapped and they had nothing available on the ground floor. (The hotel did not look that full) I was told our room was on the 3rd floor. I asked to be as close to the elevator as possible and was told it was 2 rooms away. When we got to the 3rd floor, we were the VERY LAST room at the END of the hall. I did not think that was very nice of them to do to a handicapped person who cannot walk far or well. Our room I must say was very nice. Bedroom is seperated by a door to the livingroom. The kitchen was nicely set up with a 2 burner stove although I did not find any pots. We just dropped our stuff and headed to see my daughter. We came back late and went straight to bed. Beds were comfortable. I took a shower in the am and turned on the ceiling fan above bed. To my suprise DUST BALLS came flying off the fan! I wonder what else they don't take the time to clean... After I stopped sneezing, I went up to look at it & there was so much dust up there. Gross to think that could have been falling off onto me all night!! Back into the shower I had to go. At check out that day I told them about the disgusting fan dust and was not offered an I'm sorry. I was told they will have someone clean it. No sort of compensation or apology was given for the dust or the handicapped services I did not get. I am coming back to this hotel for 4 days in November and I have 2 rooms booked and I am rethinking my stay. I will say they offered DINNER 4 nights a week but I did not eat there. People were filling their plates though. They also offer breakfast. That was good. But, it comes down to having a clean room which is more important to me and also having my handicapped requests taken care of. For those 2 BIG reasons alone I think this is a poor hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank atkempo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Columbia, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear atkempo,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the bedroom and the breakfast.

However, We’re sorry you received poor service from our housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had a horrible experience with a local hotel that did not keep my reservation so I was referred to the Staybridge Suites and I was not disappointed. This place was absolutely wonderful. The staff were kind and welcoming. The rooms were clean, modern, comfortable and with all that, they also provided dinner that included unlimited beer and wine and breakfast for free. What more could you ask for. This place is great and I will ALWAYS stay here when I visit Columbia, SC.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank J S
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Staybridge recently and everything was fantastic. The room was clean and prepared on time, which I genuinely appreciate. I have stayed at other hotels where the rooms have not been prepared on time, and even when they have been, the preparations are rather unkempt. The breakfast was great! The staff was great, too. Housekeeping kept my room clean. Also, the front desk staff was always very polite and Melanie assisted me on multiple occasions, helping me navigate my way around Columbia to various attractions and dining facilities. The Staybridge made my trip to Columbia well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Long Island, NY
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Only stayed here for one night while visiting my granddaughter at USC. Loved the added bonus of a kitchen and seperate bedroom so the early risers didn't disturb those who wanted to catch a few extra winks. Nice hot breakfast and surprise! dinner served Mon. - Thurs! When we were there they had barbeque, baked beans and potato salad. We had already made plans with our granddaughter to eat out so didn't take advantage of it but those who did seemed mighty happy. Would stay here again - no problem!

Room Tip: Great place to stay if you have kids at USC.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I come a few times of year on business, and this is the only place I'll stay. I've tried other hotels in the area before, but none can compare to Staybridge. Downtown shopping and dining is within a short walk.

Their staff is hospitable and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. The rooms are spacious and clean. Their food selections and choices for breakfast and evening snack were excellent.

Only negative is trying to get into the hotel road from the main road - it is a really tough "right" merge and crossing 3 lanes of traffic in a short space.

Exercise tip: If you like to run, it's a short distance to hit the riverside park. From there, a path takes you along the river and down to the locks (down and back is close to 5 miles).

Room Tip: Streetside rooms can have traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NDTGermany
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We ended up at Staybridge after relocating from another horrible hotel and we loved it! It was a little pricey for our three nights, but well worth it. The room was VERY clean, had everything we needed and more, and the hotel had all the amenities you could ask for. We loved the kitchen area in the room and the breakfast provided was great! Unfortunately we didn't get to eat dinner at the hotel, but the kids loved the pool area and free DVD rentals. Parking can be a challenge if you arrive later in the day. We got back to the hotel at 9 and the one and only spot open was at the bottom of the hill. The hotel is right off the highway and can be semi-dangerous/difficult to get out of, but not a huge issue. We will definitely recommend this hotel and will absolutely stay here again when we're back in Columbia!

Room Tip: Back side of the building was very quiet!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank laleurlj
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here while we were moving our daughter in to USC. The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. The staff in the kitchen for the morning breakfast was delightful also!!
We couldn't really find anything wrong other than our air conditioner was a bit noisy. The rooms are so spacious, and the laundry is free!! I highly recommend, and we will be staying here again for parents weekend!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family