“The only place I'll stay in Columbia”

Staybridge Suites Columbia
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Williamsburg, Virginia
“The only place I'll stay in Columbia”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I come a few times of year on business, and this is the only place I'll stay. I've tried other hotels in the area before, but none can compare to Staybridge. Downtown shopping and dining is within a short walk.

Their staff is hospitable and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. The rooms are spacious and clean. Their food selections and choices for breakfast and evening snack were excellent.

Only negative is trying to get into the hotel road from the main road - it is a really tough "right" merge and crossing 3 lanes of traffic in a short space.

Exercise tip: If you like to run, it's a short distance to hit the riverside park. From there, a path takes you along the river and down to the locks (down and back is close to 5 miles).

Room Tip: Streetside rooms can have traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NDTGermany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We ended up at Staybridge after relocating from another horrible hotel and we loved it! It was a little pricey for our three nights, but well worth it. The room was VERY clean, had everything we needed and more, and the hotel had all the amenities you could ask for. We loved the kitchen area in the room and the breakfast provided was great! Unfortunately we didn't get to eat dinner at the hotel, but the kids loved the pool area and free DVD rentals. Parking can be a challenge if you arrive later in the day. We got back to the hotel at 9 and the one and only spot open was at the bottom of the hill. The hotel is right off the highway and can be semi-dangerous/difficult to get out of, but not a huge issue. We will definitely recommend this hotel and will absolutely stay here again when we're back in Columbia!

Room Tip: Back side of the building was very quiet!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank laleurlj
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here while we were moving our daughter in to USC. The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. The staff in the kitchen for the morning breakfast was delightful also!!
We couldn't really find anything wrong other than our air conditioner was a bit noisy. The rooms are so spacious, and the laundry is free!! I highly recommend, and we will be staying here again for parents weekend!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights. I really liked the rooms and the staff was very accommodating. They did offer free dinner with beer and wine during the nights we were there and the breakfast is excellent. My only complaint is that the hotel is right off the interstate and can sometimes be a bit challenging to get to and from the hotel during different times of the day. Overall, I would stay there again and would recommend it to other people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed again at the Staybridge Suites, because we had such good luck there last year. Sure enough, they once again did not disappoint us. The desk staff was great, the rooms immaculately clean, and the breakfast well maintained. We stayed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. On Saturday night, with the hotel at almost 100 % capacity (per the desk clerk), the parking lot was full and cars were also parked everywhere on the access street. I went in to the desk at 11:00 PM to see if there was an event that would be ending soon that would free up some spaces. I voiced my fear in leaving our "out of state" SUV on the grass on the access street, and the desk clerk offered me her space. I actually ended up with a space right at the front door. Wow.

With so many people in the hotel, you would think it would be noisy, but it wasn't at all. We slept without hearing anything. Another plus was the housekeeping staff. In the morning we would leave the room to go down and get breakfast. When we returned our bed would already be made and the room tidied. They were really good.

Breakfast on the weekend was a little hectic, but the food was being refilled by two ladies as soon as it was running low. However, I was happy to see the same wonderful woman on Monday morning that had been there last year. Her name is Barbara, and she had gone out of her way to help us a year ago and actually remembered me as soon as she saw me. Breakfast was laid out perfectly -- I should have known she was still there !

Once again a good value for the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nprus
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have found this hotel to be our home away from home when traveling to USC with my daughter. It is clean and comfortable as far as Columbia hotels go. We generally stay in a one bedroom suite which always affords us plenty of room and a full beautiful kitchen. This past stay while moving my daughter to and apt and after my husband and son had left to travel back home, I decided to extend by stay by one day.
I didn't need all of the extra room for myself so I downgraded to an efficiency for the night. The front desk was able to move me into a room right away, but my concern was that this room was right behind the elevators. I addressed this with them and was told noise was not a problem in that room. It is also handicapped acces. which , in this room, caused a lack of closet space. The closet is an open area in the bathroom that is 100% taken up by a large (stained) shower seat). I ended up hanging by dressed in the kitchen and tried to make the best of it. I left for the day and spent a long hard day moving my daughter into here apt. We hit the bed around 11:15 and boy....was I misguided on this room on the 2nd floor. Although the noise from the elevator was audible , but minimal, you CAN FEEL the vibration each time the elevator is moving. There is also a Very large Bright light right outside the window that shined directly into the room. It is the spot light that illuminates their front sign out front. There is no way one can adjust the blinds curtains to fully block the light. It was "daytime" all night long. The train that comes by around 2 am feels like it is coming right through the room..
Needless to say, It was a pretty restless and sleepless night. I addressed the front desk in the morning as I would have preferred to hold off on checking back into a room I preferred if I would have been correctly informed about this room. She appeared unconcerned and as I was walking away went to the office in the back and said "did you hear all that?" If the manager was sitting there the whole time...why not stop out an at least say I'm sorry you night wasn't more restful?
The bottom line...the handicapped rooms behind the elevators (201 I believe) are available for a reason...we will not accept This room again IF we decide to stay at this property in the future. We have always asked for a room on a high floor in a quiet area and none of this has been an issue. Part of this is my fault for changing rooms, but my preferences and concerns were made clear prior to changing rooms and I felt mislead.
Overall this is a decent hotel, front desk is a little hit or miss, breakfast is good and weekday 'dinner'/happy hour is a nice touch. Parking can be a nightmare and turning in and out of the property can be dangerous if you are not aware of the traffic patterns. Bathrooms are a little strange as the regular rooms have a door that does not completely close. The floor will get very wet and the grout is showing a lot of dirt and wear...the actual shower is clean. The kitchen was spotless and this amenity is much appreciated for leftovers and morningtime. My advice is to choose your room wisely.

Room Tip: Choose your room location wisely
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank USCmom_14
Danielle S, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Columbia, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear USCmom_14,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. First, I want to thank you for your kind words about our clean, comfortable guest rooms. We are also happy to hear that you enjoy the breakfast buffet that is available every morning, and the dinner / happy hour that is available during the week. We are very glad that you have chosen the Staybridge Suites as your home away from home, and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your most recent visit. We set very high standards at this hotel so that our guests have a positive experience each and every time they visit Columbia. Thank you for bringing these specific details to our attention. Providing excellent customer service is a very high priority at the Staybridge. We will share your comments and concerns with our team so that we can make changes and better serve our guests in the future. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you visit your daughter at the University of South Carolina. Please feel free to contact our General Manager, Drew Dunston, with any additional questions or comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Staybridge Suites Columbia Management Team
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The parking is atrocious, which is why it doesn't get 5-stars. Everything else is wonderful. I got back from dinner around 9-9:30 PM and there were two spots left in the lot right by the entry to the parking lot, (down the hill in front & around the winding corner.) I can't say anything about the breakfast or the evening receptions because I'm a foodie and don't eat buffet, however, there were lots of people mingling and it smelled great! The staff is very friendly and very helpful. I like coffee in my room and the front desk staff delivered the extra coffee I wanted to my room personally. The room was clean & nicely updated and despite being on a busy road - very quiet. I sleep with a white noise machine at home but had a great night sleep.
Situated just 1 mile from downtown, it's location is very convenient. Travel brings me to Columbia every month - I found my place of choice.

Room Tip: I was on the "busy road" side - NO PROBLEM with the noise! Any room will do.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business