“Excellent location and super friendly staff”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

easy to park out front while you confirm your reservation and then parking is around the corner in a parking garage. Staff were very helpful and very friendly. Room was very comfortable - had the 7th floor with a balcony...which was a bit of a joke - yes it was there BUT it overlooked the parking garages. Because of elite status we received a free breakfast on Saturday morning at the restaurant, which was very good and very comfortable surroundings. If you are going to the canal walk be sure to drive - even though it is only a few blocks away...it is down/up a long steep incline. Staff were good to point this out to us.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glebo
Cola SC M, Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Glebo,
Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about our staff here at the Columbia Marriott. Your feedback is extra special to us, looking at your profile, you certainly travel a good amount. Yes our balconies can be a bit challenging, but hopefully you were able to enjoy some fresh air while in your room. I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team and celebrate them for taking such great care of you. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon, please reach out to me when you do return. I wish you safe and exciting future travels and look forward to your next visit to Columbia, again, thank you.

Jeff Kaplan
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hotel is located right in downtown Columbia. I have stayed there several times over the last couple years. Over the last year of so, they have been updating the property. The work is finally coming to an end, and I like the results! The staff at this hotel is always pleasant. The bar area is nice. The breakfast is very good. The rooms are comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Dear Darci M,
Thank you so much for the kind words about our newly renovated property! We have worked very hard over the last year to really raise the level of service here at the Columbia Marriott and I am so glad that you see a difference. Your feedback is extra special to us and I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team and celebrate them for taking such great care of you. I hope we continue to be your hotel of choice when returning to Columbia. Safe future travels!

Jeff Kaplan
Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Like the small town feel of Columbia, this is a big hotel but feels like a small one. I was greeted very warmly and jovially by Josh, the front desk manager. Even though the hotel has 14 floors, things were fairly close to one another and it is very manageable. I had an end room, with a balcony that I did not use, but I believe the room to be larger than many others. The bed was comfortable, the amenities were up to standard, and
there is room service. There is a concierge lounge on the top floor, which have a nice selection of predinner hors d'oeuvres cheese and crackers, fruit, alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages.

I really like it here. It was clean quiet friendly and manageable. As is becoming the norm, there were several choices for Wi-Fi speed with increasing price. The Wi-Fi worked fine for me.

I plan on coming back for a longer stay and doing some sightseeing. I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed: March 2014
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Rhapsodyinblue,

Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about Josh and the entire team at the Marriott Columbia. Your feedback is extra special to us, looking at your profile, you certainly travel allot. I will share your comments with my entire team and celebrate them for taking such great care of you. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon, please reach out to me when you do return. I wish you safe and exciting travels and again, thank you.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is a older hotel, but run very efficiently by friendly and competent staff. WiFi was a probably, but it was upgraded during my last stay. Rooms are always clean and housekeeping is extremely responsive for items that a customers may request. The restaurant is very nice with very good food and extremely helpful staff. Regular customers are treated like family and that attitude is pervasive throughout the hotel. I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Robert M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy you enjoyed the service and food at the hotel. I am happy to report that we are in the process of upgrading our wireless internet speed. I have alerted our provider to identify any issues the current system may have as our system should easily support all guests. Robert, my team and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I look forward to meeting you.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I am a reasonably regular business traveller and this hotel is not up to the standard I usually encounter, or up to the standard of Marriotts elsewhere in the World. I understand the alternative options in Columbia are similar so it's not to say avoid this hotel, but manage your own expectations!

On arrival I was told I couldn't use the concierge lounge since that was only for Marriott Gold members. At breakfast the following day, I was told I should have eaten in the concierge lounge as it was only that breakfast that was included in my rate!? When we went there the next evening there was a fairly strong and unpleasant smell.

The wi-fi reception in my room was terrible, constantly dropping on and off. I couldn't work from there. There was no mini bar, so no access to bottled water. There is no safe in the room. The bathroom is small and the hot water takes a while to come through. Don't order eggs benedict for breakfast - in fact do, just for a laugh.

On the plus side the staff are generally nice and competent. The buffet breakfast is good, with everything cooked nicely. My room was always spotlessly cleaned, and check out was the most efficient I've ever encountered! But this is typical of what I expect, and the other areas make this hotel 'poor' by comparison.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear LondonMike1983,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am happy to ready that the Housekeeping quality and Breakfast Buffet were excellent. I am very sorry that your had challenges with the WIFI, we have identified and repaired a router. We have also just purchased 100MG of additional wireless data that will be installed very soon. I am also sorry about the Eggs Benedict, this is one of our signature dishes so I was very alarmed to read your comments. I am happy to report that our new cook has been retrained on the proper recipe. I am also sorry with the confusion of the Concierge Lounge, this is accessible by Platinum, Gold and those who purchase Concierge Level Rooms on Sunday - Thursday, the lounge is closed Friday Afternoon thru Sunday morning. LondonMike1983, my team and I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope you will give us another chance soon, please reach out to me directly and I will ensure you have an exceptional visit.

Joel Darr, General Manager
joel.darr@marriottcolumbia.com

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This hotel should not be branded Marriott. It is actually terrible, though they changed the groundfloor amenities for the better. Where to start?
Rooms are old, very dark, half of the lights did not work, second day, no towels and they took all the glasses away. Roomkey did not work, bad internet connection, though free. Concierge level access was nice to have, but it is a real joke. It smells, actually stinks on that top floor. Bathroom was average, but old too. The bed however was real good. They even managed to make bad scrambled eggs and omelets, unbelievable, not to say they gave them away to somone else, though we ordered. What can I say, I will never go back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Golfandtravelfan
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Tigerwoods100,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit with us. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to discuss all of your feedback with my team and can ensure you that we take your comments seriously. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly and to address the specific issues you had. Please reach out to me via email or phone if you can. Again, I am sincerely sorry that you had a poor experience with and us and hope to have the chance to show you our best. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

joel.darr@marriottcolumbia.com
803/771-7000

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights for a conference being held in the hotel. Very happy with it. Room was a good size, bed was comfortable. Room was clean, though housekeeping could be quite late- 3-5pm in some cases, but they were very happy to work around you if you were in the room when they came around. Hotel was very helpful when we wanted to add 2 nights to our stay at short notice. They have a computer and printer for use for boarding passes, maps etc, and decent free wifi. Good pool, bit small. Only issue was soundproofing between rooms- on one night had lots of noise from next door (either St Pat's revellers or soldiers there for another conference). About 15 mins walk from the bars and eateries of the Vista, but a happy and seemingly safe area. No real complaints.

Dear millenniumperegrine,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share such nice feedback with the TripAdvisor community about the Marriott Columbia. My team tries very hard to make every guest comfortable and show great, caring service. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels!