“Great hotel breakfast”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #23 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Wife and I stopped in the Midlands (restaurant in the lobby of the Marriott) for breakfast before leaving the hotel. What a terrific experience. We were cheerfully greeted by Rebe, our server, who proceeded to create a welcoming relationship and flawless service. There was a wide variety of choices (including made to order omelette), and the quality was excellent.
The lobby of the Marriott is newly renovated. In addition to Midlands, there is a sports bar with multiple large screens for watching as many as four events simultaneously.
We recommend Midlands for breakfast (ask for Rebe).

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, good views of Columbia.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Bob S,

Thank you for taking the time to share such nice comments about Rebe and our awesome restaurant Midlands". I am very happy to read that our team showed you such excellent service and food. I hope to see you back soon and wish you save and exciting travels.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel during the snow flurry in late January. During one of the nights that we were snowed in, the staff was considerate enough to open up a dinner buffet for the guests... My stay at the Columbia Marriott reminded me of a 1980s movie about red rum, and too much work and no play, "Some places are like people: Some shine and some don't". This one shines :)

1  Thank Gerry T

Dear Gerry T,

Thank you for weathering the big storm with us in Columbia. This was one challenging week for all of our guests and associates. Thank you for sharing such nice comments about our team, they truly deserve it as they all worked so hard. I am very glad you did not have a "Shining" experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to our typically beautiful weather.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

When traveling, there's one thing that always makes or breaks a business trip. Do they go the extra mile to make you feel at home? Whether you are checking in at the front desk by Josh Yelle or quenching your thirst at the bar by Roxy, you feel at home. I've enjoyed all of my stays at the Columbia Marriott and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Be prepared to be pampered. Oh, and they have Pappy at the bar.

Dear JohnD7332TX,

My team and I appreciate your loyalty and that you choose to stay with us. Josh and Roxy are true stars and I will share your comments with them. Please say hello to me next time you are here, I'd love to thank you personally. Have safe and exciting travels.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This recently renovated hotel is lovely. Staff was very welcoming. Lorraine at the front desk was very helpful, assisting us with making our reservation by cell phone, as we were traveling. Eugene welcomed us as soon as we drove up, assisting with our luggage and providing great hotel information, as well as local information. Every time we saw Eugene during our stay he always greeted us and asked if he could assist us. Check in went smoothly, again assisted by Lorraine. The room was nice, clean and quiet. We ate dinner at the hotel several times and appreciated the variety of selections. The breakfast buffet was also good. Jeff Kaplan, the Food and Beverage Director, greeted guests and made a point to greet us, whenever he saw us. We did not use the pool or spa, but the area was enclosed and looked inviting. We are looking forward to a return trip to Columbia and the Columbia Marriott.

Dear spcadp,

Thank you for taking the time to share such nice comments about the Marriott Columbia and her amazing staff. I am so glad that you have enjoyed our recent renovation and that Lorraine, Eugene and Jeff all left such a nice impression on you. My team and I appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you back very soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Kindest Regard,

Reviewed January 29, 2014

As a Marriott Platinum Premier rewards member, I have stayed a lot of different Marriott properties around the globe. I have to say the staff at the Marriott in downtown Columbia is one of the best that I have encountered. Josh at the front desk is always friendly and helpful. Matt and Jill in the bar fun to hang out with after a long day.

The hotel was recently renovated and is one of the nicest I have stayed at recently.

The only complaint is the parking garage attendant but she is not a Marriott employee so I don't hold that against them.

Highly recommend to stay here when visiting Columbia.

Dear Andy W,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share such nice comments about your recent visit with us at the Marriott Columbia. As a Platinum Elite traveler, you truly understand what a great experience should be. My team and I appreciate you loyalty to Marriott and for taking the time out to recognize Josh, Matt and Jill. We are working closely with the city to continue to improve the garage, I am confident you will see more improvement very soon.

joel Darr

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Second trip to Columbia in two weeks. First one I stayed at another establishment. I will try to resist comparisons, but suffice it to say I will choose the Marriott.

Greeted by Eugene as I drove in. He took excellent care of me and my car. No issues at front desk and though I was before 3, easily and quickly checked in.

No issues with any elements of the room, save for the bathroom. Tiniest water closet - barely room to get out of shower without stubbing toe on commode. Door will barely shut if someone is in the bathroom. Towels tiny and scratchy. They also provide shower gel but no little pouf to apply it, which we all know is what makes it foam.

So, I really dislike the bathroom, but the room was otherwise quiet and comfortable. Could use more outlets okay the desk, but serviceable. Bed slept well- not too hot not too cold.

The gym was very crowded. There was only one machine left of 6 when I arrived at 6 AM and it stayed crowded the entire time - folks being turned away or having to wait a long time to grab a machine. Also, all of the gym towels were gone, so folks were borrowing towels from the pool area (which looked large and good of you want to swim). I will say the elliptical I was running on is made of plastic and so shakes if you run too fast (under any tension). I found that disconcerting, and wonder if that happens to all machines.

Buffet breakfast is okay. Lots of options, but have to ask a couple of times to get hot rather than warm coffee. Eggs were a little runny. So, nothing spectacular, but will get your day off to a start.

In sum, it's large; it can be impersonal and a little sterile, but I found all of the staff to be accommodating and friendly and it was an easy place to stay. I'll likely stay again on my next trip (but see if I can find a room with a bigger bathroom).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Itravelforfood,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your visit with us. I will be sure to pass on your complements to Eugene and his team out front. I will address your feedback regarding Breakfast and the Health Club. Please note for your next visit, we have a partnership with the YMCA across the street that allows our guest to use their facility free of charge. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to you coming back soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel almost every week for a year. As a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member I have come to expect a lot from my hotels. This one is at the top. Rooms are comfortable, with recently upgraded bathroom amenities. The food is actually good and the bar well stocked. Most importantly the service is 5-star quality. The staff is brilliant, particularly Josh, Christian, and Chelsea. Stay here whenever in Columbia.

• Stayed: January 2014
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear mazeltovjp,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am so happy to read the Josh, Christian and Chelsea impressed you enough to be mentioned personally. I agree with you, I think our food in Rocks is outstanding. My team and I very much appreciate your loyalty and look forward to you returning very soon. Have safe and exciting travels.