“Great stay for our family”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great stay for our family”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My kids and I had driven down from phila to meet my husband in Columbia, he chose the hotel but some of the reviews were not so stellar...but my husband had stayed there and enjoyed so when we arrived we too were very pleased. The looby was beautiful some renovation were going on, our room was beautiful and clean, my kids and I loved the pool, one night in the lobby they were serving gourmet red velvet waffles and chicken the kids had 2nd's and the front desk was so helpful and patient with helping us connect to the Wifi

• Stayed November 2013
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear cgirlw,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful comments with the TripAdvisor community. I so happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful new Columbia Marriott. The past year has been a challenge but we are thrilled to have a brand new hotel to share with the people of Columbia. I was also quite impressed with the Red Velvet Chicken and Waffles too, we sold a bunch that night. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I hope to meet you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was our conference hotel for an intensive 4 day meeting on property. I have stayed at multiple Marriotts as well as many other conference hotels. The story here is that what they did well, they did very well, but there were many small things that just left me with a bad aftertaste, if you will.
Shuttle Problems:
Things started out poorly when we called from the airport for our "free shuttle" to the hotel. We were told when we called ahead, we couldn't arrange in advance, we needed to call upon arrival. So we did. We were told by the staff that we just needed to walk out from baggage claim one and there would be a shuttle right there. No shuttle. We waited. We gathered more from our flight - about 15 of us total, all waiting there for the hotel shuttle. We called again - we were told it should be right back. More waiting. No shuttle. We called again. We were told they'd send a cab at their expense. No cab. Finally we walked to the other end of the building, near the door marked for limos, only to find cabs galore and a shuttle that was marked Marriott, but that we were told was just there for show, because it didn't go to the Marriott we were going to. There were at least 25 people sitting and waiting on the sidewalk in a line, likely for the one shuttle that was looping to the hotel. We took a cab. When we got to the hotel, I called inside to see if they'd settle up the cab, but the lines were busy. When one of the party inquired about cab reimbursement, instead of the hotel staff paying for the cab (which they'd promised not only to me, but one of the others in my party that was also calling and waiting for 45 minutes). They told us we'd have to e-mail the manager for that request. They did not my colleague back before we left. I do not know the outcome.
In preparation for our return, we asked the desk if we could book the shuttle for our group for a specific time the next day. We were told yes, we'd have the shuttle for 5. When we went to get on the shuttle, there were other folks waiting as well, and the driver told us it was first come, first served, when we asked him to save a spot for our last member who was in the lobby bathroom. Why tell a group they have a reservation when they don't? More importantly, why run a large conference, where business travelers are counting on the "free shuttle" if you do not have an efficient system? We asked the very kind shuttle driver on the way back to the airport about where folks are told to pick up the shuttle from the airport. Without telling our story, he shared that he has to frequently tell the operators to make sure they are telling folks to go outside of the other door, because the shuttle cannot pick up from where they will tell them to wait. So, clearly this was not a one off problem, but a persistent communication issue.

My Room -
My room was great, almost. The bed was comfortable, the A/C controls worked well, the bathroom was clean and modern. There was a mini-fridge for our use. No safe. There were crumbs in all the drawers. There was lots of dust on the fridge. The alarm clock did not work, at all - you couldn't change the time on it from 12:00. The management called right after I checked in, to see if a prior guest left their Ipad in the room. They asked how things were. I reported the alarm clock. They said they'd send engineering to give me a new one. In my 3 day stay, they never did.

Conference Food -
I was very happy with the conference food we were served while there. It was your average fare,but it was warm, well seasoned and plentiful. Our conference had provided us a continental breakfast while we where there - set up outside of our meeting rooms each morning. This is a great perk that is not offered at most of my conferences. I was grateful to have it. I do think that if Marriott is going to serve a conference group a continental breakfast each morning, they could switch it up a bit. We got the exact same flavors of muffins, pastries, juices and fruit each day. C'mon Marriott..how about chocolate chip one day and banana walnut the next? If you want folks to give you conference business, you can't treat everyday like groundhog's day!

Communication Issues:
I checked in before my roommate did. I left a key at the desk with her name on it. When she arrived, they called the room to ask permission to give her a key. I told them I left her a key. They said "oh, you did?". Good thing I wasn't out or in the shower.

All and All, I'd say the staff were kind, they tried to be helpful, and the place looked nice and was comfortable. It was a decent experience...but it wasn't up to the par of other conference hotel experiences. They need to work on their communication. If we tell you there's an issue, fix it. If you tell us where to go for the shuttle, be there, etc.

Perhaps staying just for sight seeing, where you are not spending all of your time in the hotel, you'll have a much different stay.

Room Tip: I had a view of a parking garage and roofs. If you want a better view, ask for one!
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We recently stayed at the Downtown Columbia Marriott for the USTA National Junior Team Tennis Tournament. I called the day before arrival and spoke to Rachel. I explained to her I had players flying in from all over the country and would be arriving haphazardly during the evening for the event. I requested all four rooms be near each other. Even though they were at full capacity, Rachel managed to have the player's rooms all connect with adult chaperon's room across the hall. It was the perfect set-up. All service was top notch! Lilliana at the buffet offered to fill each player's room with balloons when they won a match! Christian at front desk made sure we had enough breakfast buffet tickets for all players! The valet staff was outstanding having our cars ready to transport the players to the various tennis facilities. They even took us all out in a shuttle van so we could watch the Red Sox in the WS at sports bar/restaurant!!!
The hotel was visually amazing and recently renovated. The rooms were clean and well stocked. The buffet breakfast was divine! If you are going to an event in Columbia, SC this is the pace to be!!!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for Rachel, she's a peach!
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The restaurant staff (L, R, B and M) was great. They really went out of their way to make sure my family had a fantastic time. The hotel was very busy and we still had smiles, laughs and great service. Even went out of their way with an impromptu birthday party. The hotel has a great location, excellent amenities, decent housekeeping and above all a really great restaurant staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was the host hotel for the BanzaiCon anime convention in Columbia, so I stayed here so I could have easy access to my room during the event. This is the former Adam's Mark Hotel, and is currently in the final stages of a renovation.

The public spaces are very nice, barring the few areas that still need attention. Black sheets cordoned off part of the lobby that still had construction equipment parked in it. Fortunately, no actual work was happening during the convention to disturb attendees. The convention space was open and allowed plenty of room to move around in. It was also well decorated and well lit. The lobby and restaurant were also attractive and elegant.

So too were the rooms - as long as you don't look too closely. My room was a king bed room, 1016. Stylish new lamps, mirrors, chair, and the big, comfortable Marriott bed certainly suggest upscale, as does the granite bathroom countertop. But for a room that was supposedly renovated over this summer, there's a surprising amount of wear and tear - some things appeared to have not been replaced. The nightstand and desk had the dents and scratches typical of hotel furniture that's been in the room for awhile, but not furniture that would have been replaced during the summer renovations. The metal piece surrounding the inside door handle was badly corroded and obviously wasn't replaced. The bathtub had an area where there was a very obvious attempt to patch and paint over the repair - it did not look nice. There was a pink substance on the grout in the shower area (most likely mold, but I'm not totally sure. I did inform the front desk about this at checkout). Now, the room was clean, bed was comfortable, and it was by no means a bad room, but the little maintenance issues did make the room seem less upscale than it could have been - even if none of the issues (except maybe for the bathroom mold) would have affected the quality of the stay.

The room had a big flat-screen TV with a swivel base, and the wireless internet at this Marriott is free - if you choose the slowest bandwidth speed. They offer three different speeds; only the slowest is offered free of charge, but I wasn't doing any heavy internet use anyway during my stay. There was no refrigerator in my room, although the reservation confirmation email suggested that there would be one. The bathroom was poorly ventilated and would steam up very quickly during a shower. But they did offer to place a rollaway bed in the room at no extra charge, which was a welcome surprise.

I ate several meals at the hotel's "Midland's" restaurant, which offered a nice, upscale setting. I had a burger and fries for each meal, as they were reasonably priced. Most of their dinners were priced a bit too high for my budget.

Every staff member that I spoke with was very polite, professional, and helpful. No complaints there.

But for $114 a night (which was a special convention rate, I might add), it's a bit too expensive to be a good value, especially considering that their renovation project missed some things in the rooms. I've stayed in less expensive rooms that have had extras like refrigerators, and were larger. Now, they didn't have the cool bedside lamps where the base also lights up (which you can order for your home for $325 according to the catalog left on the desk), but I'd rather pocket the additional money.

Despite some of my comments, the Columbia Marriott is certainly not a bad hotel. The staff is excellent, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the decor is attractive and upscale. If you have an event in their conference rooms, the convenience could make it worth it (as it did for me). If you don't have an event here, I'd at least compare the Marriott with Columbia's other upscale downtown hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. The first two nights were the best that I have ever had in a hotel, period. It has recently been renovated, and every staff member I came within ten feet of greeted me & asked if he or she could do anything to make my stay better. The last night of the stay, however, I came back to a room that had the bed made, but the coffee supplies weren't restocked and the dirty towels were removed without clean ones being brought into the room. I cut my finger on the chair in the room because there was a staple sticking out of it. Also, the bathroom sink would not drain. When I reported these issues to the front desk staff (the employee whose name tag said that he was the associate of the year) at checkout, the staff member said, "Yeah, we had problems with our towels yesterday." When told about the sink not draining, he said that he was sorry about it, but he made no effort to note the issue so that it could be fixed. In short, am awesome stay was ruined by a bad finishing experience. Terribly disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Overall an acceptable conference space, food was adequate and service was excellent. Hot tub needs an update as it is not appealing to use. Gym is well kept and offers free headphones in case you forget yours. Room was clean, and house cleaning was very polite.