“The restaurant staff was awesome!”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The restaurant staff (L, R, B and M) was great. They really went out of their way to make sure my family had a fantastic time. The hotel was very busy and we still had smiles, laughs and great service. Even went out of their way with an impromptu birthday party. The hotel has a great location, excellent amenities, decent housekeeping and above all a really great restaurant staff.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was the host hotel for the BanzaiCon anime convention in Columbia, so I stayed here so I could have easy access to my room during the event. This is the former Adam's Mark Hotel, and is currently in the final stages of a renovation.

The public spaces are very nice, barring the few areas that still need attention. Black sheets cordoned off part of the lobby that still had construction equipment parked in it. Fortunately, no actual work was happening during the convention to disturb attendees. The convention space was open and allowed plenty of room to move around in. It was also well decorated and well lit. The lobby and restaurant were also attractive and elegant.

So too were the rooms - as long as you don't look too closely. My room was a king bed room, 1016. Stylish new lamps, mirrors, chair, and the big, comfortable Marriott bed certainly suggest upscale, as does the granite bathroom countertop. But for a room that was supposedly renovated over this summer, there's a surprising amount of wear and tear - some things appeared to have not been replaced. The nightstand and desk had the dents and scratches typical of hotel furniture that's been in the room for awhile, but not furniture that would have been replaced during the summer renovations. The metal piece surrounding the inside door handle was badly corroded and obviously wasn't replaced. The bathtub had an area where there was a very obvious attempt to patch and paint over the repair - it did not look nice. There was a pink substance on the grout in the shower area (most likely mold, but I'm not totally sure. I did inform the front desk about this at checkout). Now, the room was clean, bed was comfortable, and it was by no means a bad room, but the little maintenance issues did make the room seem less upscale than it could have been - even if none of the issues (except maybe for the bathroom mold) would have affected the quality of the stay.

The room had a big flat-screen TV with a swivel base, and the wireless internet at this Marriott is free - if you choose the slowest bandwidth speed. They offer three different speeds; only the slowest is offered free of charge, but I wasn't doing any heavy internet use anyway during my stay. There was no refrigerator in my room, although the reservation confirmation email suggested that there would be one. The bathroom was poorly ventilated and would steam up very quickly during a shower. But they did offer to place a rollaway bed in the room at no extra charge, which was a welcome surprise.

I ate several meals at the hotel's "Midland's" restaurant, which offered a nice, upscale setting. I had a burger and fries for each meal, as they were reasonably priced. Most of their dinners were priced a bit too high for my budget.

Every staff member that I spoke with was very polite, professional, and helpful. No complaints there.

But for $114 a night (which was a special convention rate, I might add), it's a bit too expensive to be a good value, especially considering that their renovation project missed some things in the rooms. I've stayed in less expensive rooms that have had extras like refrigerators, and were larger. Now, they didn't have the cool bedside lamps where the base also lights up (which you can order for your home for $325 according to the catalog left on the desk), but I'd rather pocket the additional money.

Despite some of my comments, the Columbia Marriott is certainly not a bad hotel. The staff is excellent, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the decor is attractive and upscale. If you have an event in their conference rooms, the convenience could make it worth it (as it did for me). If you don't have an event here, I'd at least compare the Marriott with Columbia's other upscale downtown hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. The first two nights were the best that I have ever had in a hotel, period. It has recently been renovated, and every staff member I came within ten feet of greeted me & asked if he or she could do anything to make my stay better. The last night of the stay, however, I came back to a room that had the bed made, but the coffee supplies weren't restocked and the dirty towels were removed without clean ones being brought into the room. I cut my finger on the chair in the room because there was a staple sticking out of it. Also, the bathroom sink would not drain. When I reported these issues to the front desk staff (the employee whose name tag said that he was the associate of the year) at checkout, the staff member said, "Yeah, we had problems with our towels yesterday." When told about the sink not draining, he said that he was sorry about it, but he made no effort to note the issue so that it could be fixed. In short, am awesome stay was ruined by a bad finishing experience. Terribly disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Overall an acceptable conference space, food was adequate and service was excellent. Hot tub needs an update as it is not appealing to use. Gym is well kept and offers free headphones in case you forget yours. Room was clean, and house cleaning was very polite.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was going to rate this hotel a three but as I outlined the issues with my stay, I thought it would be better to rate them a 2 or 2.5 star. I hate to do that, but I can't ignore some of the problems I encountered.

I will preface any negativity by saying that all of the staff that I encountered with very pleasant. They were amazingly well trained and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

For the actual facility, well there is some major construction going on in the building. It appears that half of the building is being converted into condos while the hotel itself is undergoing some renovation. While such improvements are necessary, I was a bit put off by the timing of the construction. Throughout my two day stay, the elevator to the parking deck access level was out of order. I'm not opposed to stairs, but hauling my bags up and down two flights of stairs was not pleasant.

At one point, I noticed that a good portion of the front lobby was pulled up for some work underneath the tile. This was being done at peak hours. I think the timing is way off on this construction. I was staying at the hotel for a relatively small conference, but there were several other groups in the building. A very large gathering of business folks seemed to be staying there for a conference in house. A large youth sports league was in town for a tournament and were staying there as well. It was poor timing, pure and simple.

The room was well appointed and had been recently updated. The bathroom seemed somewhat small and therefore it was very difficult to get in the room (the door barely missed the toilet). Additionally, the tub was clogged.

My main gripe however was that the room lacked soundproofing. Being that the hotel is situated in an urban area, sound from the street is bound to filter in. But it was LOUD. Even on the 10th floor. Additionally, the door to the room was poorly sealed, thus I heard every door slam on the hall until midnight. I finally had to use my cell phone to play some classical music as white noise.

Since my work picked up the tab for this trip, I can't be too disgruntled. But if I was paying out of pocket, I would have been annoyed. I will say that the rate was decent; it included free parking, free internet, and a free breakfast buffet. I did not avail myself upon the omelet and waffle maker, but he was indeed swamped. I was disappointed to not get a waffle. It's my hotel stay staple. The other offerings were nice though. An oatmeal bar, along with some hot food (cheddar cheese grits, applewood smoked bacon, sausage gravy and biscuits, etc.) were available. I probably wouldn't have paid the going rate (which is $15) for this though, but I am rather cheap sometimes.

My last complaint was the incidentals fee that they held on my credit card. I do have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed by my work. So I was not happy to have my trip charges PLUS a $42 incidentals fee. That, in a word, is ridiculous. $25 should be the maximum any hotel charges. $42 is just grasping. There is a good chance that I will avoid this hotel in future for that alone.

So unfortunately, this is not the best Marriott I have ever stayed in, and I'm not sure that I will be back.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms on the Main Street side would be quieter since Main Street is speed controlled and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2013

hotel is remodeling right now in the lobby area... but staff is doing on amazing job on providing the best service ever...
As a Marriott member I've received so many treats when there and I'm very happy with my stay there. Very nice and comfortable room! I strongly recommend

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was the second time we've stayed at this property to visit USC. I'll start with the positives - the staff were friendly and excellent, despite the problems with key system. Now, for the negatives: 1) the property is undergoing a much needed renovation 2) the food and beverage offerings were unacceptable. I ordered a dessert (peach cobbler) which was a microwaved breakfast biscuit with peach pie filling and ice cream. When I mentioned that this was sub-par to the waitress, she apologized but did not remove it from the bill. The breakfast buffet was not worth $25 per person - undercooked bacon, an overworked omelet maker and too few choices for the price. The rooms were not as clean as they should be given the price of the hotel, and the entrances to the hotel from the garage are woefully depressing. Best to make this a low budget hotel since it is clearly not up to Marriott standards.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family