“Staff is Amazing! Hotel is great”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

hotel is remodeling right now in the lobby area... but staff is doing on amazing job on providing the best service ever...
As a Marriott member I've received so many treats when there and I'm very happy with my stay there. Very nice and comfortable room! I strongly recommend

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was the second time we've stayed at this property to visit USC. I'll start with the positives - the staff were friendly and excellent, despite the problems with key system. Now, for the negatives: 1) the property is undergoing a much needed renovation 2) the food and beverage offerings were unacceptable. I ordered a dessert (peach cobbler) which was a microwaved breakfast biscuit with peach pie filling and ice cream. When I mentioned that this was sub-par to the waitress, she apologized but did not remove it from the bill. The breakfast buffet was not worth $25 per person - undercooked bacon, an overworked omelet maker and too few choices for the price. The rooms were not as clean as they should be given the price of the hotel, and the entrances to the hotel from the garage are woefully depressing. Best to make this a low budget hotel since it is clearly not up to Marriott standards.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lisa b
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had a lovely stay at the Columbia Marriott while visiting my son at the University of South Carolina. Christian, who worked the front desk was wonderful! His helpfulness, cheerfulness and expertise was much appreciated. The hotel is finishing up a major renovation. The rooms were completed, but there was still work being done in the lobby area. Didn't seem to cause too much of a hassle. I'm sure the hotel is going to be even more beautiful than it is now. The pillows were awesome!! We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

While I could tolerate the construction, and the dusty vents that caused me to go into an allergy attack in the morning, what I could not tolerate was the lack of wi fi access. When I brought this up at checkout this afm, the front staff said they have been complaining about this to their GM forever and it's not important to him. I also tried to use the computer and printer in the concierge lounge and the printer did not work...and apparently this is an issue too.

Also, the Club Level food is not sanitary. The bread and bagels are uncovered as well as the lox. The fruit tasted old.

Only one night but disappointing...I even got a loud knock on my door at housekeeping while I was in the shower, I got out of the shower and she disappeared.

1  Thank Judy3720
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Judy3720,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am troubled to read your comments regarding internet challenges and the response you received from my team. I can ensure you that HSIA is one of this hotels highest priorities and I am fully engaged in it working at the highest level possible. We did experience one day last week where the vender we pay for the service lost their wireless ability. I personally dealt with the vender and service was restored the following day. While I believe we can do much better, I am happy to report to you that this hotel has the highest level of bandwidth in our market and we are in the process of expanding it. I am sorry someone banged on your door, I hope it was not one of my associates but regardless, I will address with my team immediately. You can rest assured, I will personally evaluate our Wireless connection every day and ensure it is working fully. Thank you again for your feedback, I hope you try us again in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Excellent stay. I could not have been more impressed with the staff or service. I really enjoyed the comfortable room and furnishings. The breakfast and lounge were excellent and well appointed. Our company had a small group meeting and they did an outstanding job of meeting our needs. The place was quiet and comfortable, I couldn't of asked for anything more.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Columbia Marriott for a business trip. I absolutely LOVED my stay. The hotel is in the process of a renovation however it did not bother me at all. This hotel is very charming. My room was clean and comfortable. I usually do not sleep well being away from my family but I slept so well the next morning I was groggy. I have never slept that well at a hotel.

The room décor was beautiful! The staff was excellent. At check in we were welcomed by two outstanding clerks. These two clerks made me feel very welcomed. All of the staff was very helpful. They went above and beyond to help!

The only complaint I had about this hotel is I wasn't able to stay longer. However, if I ever have to go back to Columbia this hotel will be my first pick!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

As a previous reviewer noted, perhaps things will be better when renovations are complete. I admit that the noise and chaos created by ongoing remodeling of the lobby and restaurants could have colored my review. However, it did not help that the first impression that entered my mind upon entering my room was a very pronounced sour smell (not smoke...just something very sour). The room was also quite small for the rate, and furnishings modest (at best). The staff for the most part were friendly and tried to be accommodating. There are other nearby options that I will explore on my next trip to Columbia.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear BocephusSolo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. I am very sorry the final pieces of our renovation were a distraction to you. I am also sorry that you experienced a challenge in your guest room, I have already discussed your comments with my room’s team to ensure they are diligently focused on all areas of the room. I am glad you found the service team to be hospitable, we are blessed to have a great team of associates. I am happy to report that the majority of renovation work is complete and you should not experience any distractions going forward. Again, my team and I appreciate your feedback and hope you come back and see the finished product soon. Please reach out to me directly and I will ensure you next visit is excellent.

Kindest Regards,