“Maybe wait til the renovations are done?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #15 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Maybe wait til the renovations are done?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

The expansive lobby is undergoing renovations, so that detracts from the ambiance (and closes the entrance on Main St). Also the garage is a good distance from the lobby elevators to the rooms. You have to walk from the garage and take a grand stairway (or elevator) to get to the lobby level where you find the other set of elevators to the room. On the upside, the adjacent garage has free parking on weekends.

The room was clean, neat, and well-appointed. My only complaint is the A/C was barely working. You could feel cold air coming out, but we dropped the thermostat down to 63 and noticed no difference at all. Had it been a warmer, more humid typical Columbia weekend, we certainly would have had to request another room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillyB32
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear BillyB32,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit to the Marriott Columbia. My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share such positive comments about the service and the room cleanliness. I will have my maintenance team check each rooms HVAC to try and identify the problem you reported, I am hoping we already have fixed it. I am happy to report that the majority of the renovation is completed and there should not be additional distractions during your next visit. For future visits, we do have 24 hour valet if you would prefer us to take care of your parking for you. Again, thank you for the feedback and I hope to get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I reserved 3 hotel rooms for me & my daughter & some of her friends for a mini "get-away". I called the hotel a week before my stay to ensure I would be able to get connecting rooms. They ensured me that I would be able to get at least 2 of my rooms connecting and I could have the 3rd room across the hall. When we arrived, I was told all of the connecting/joined rooms were "having maintainace done to them" and all of the connecting/joined rooms were "blocked off in their computer system" and could not be issued to anyone. I told the front desk attendant that I had little girls & I couldn't leave them in a room alone. He went to speak with the manager on duty & came back & said he would give me a jr suite that had a King connecting suite attached to it. This young man was so very helpful & polite. He went above & beyond to make sure I had what I needed & after continuously thanking him, he said "It's my pleasure Ms. G******. Anything I can do to make your day/stay better. That's why I'm here". I am so impressed & happy with the service I received at the Columbia Marriott in Columbia,SC. And when you check in, ask for Justin M. He is THE BEST!!! I travel alot & stay in hotels often, and I must say, this is the best hotel experience I've ever had. Thankyou to Justin M. & the Columbia Marriott

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Vise27,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize Justin and the service team at the Marriott Columbia during your recent visit. I am thrilled that my team was able to show you and your family a great experience. We are blessed to have such a great team of associates here and look forward to hosting you again very soon. We know you have a choice on where to stay in Columbia and are so appreciative that you choose us. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

GREAT hotel! Loved the atmosphere (they do have a reno going on but it did not affect our stay). Renovations were actually very quiet and unobtrusive,

We loved our rooms (want to buy those lamps, but best of all was the pillows!) I have neck problems and those pillows are worth their weight in gold! Most comfortable nights sleep i've had in a while.

I inquired about and intend to purchase the pillows thru Marriott, I had an extremely well furnished and comfortable suite and the only complaint I have is I didnt have time to stay longer, AND they furnish Bath & Body Works products which are a fav of mine. Didnt get a chance to try the gourmet coffee as I was running late but the presentation was impressive. Sure looked good!
Staff is so warm and nice! We felt so welcome from the time we entered the door.

Had lunch at the hotel both days. EXCELLENT!! I had the Fried Green Tomatoes BLT with Boursin Aioli that was awesome! So good I ordered it again 2nd day! Its obvious food is freshly prepared and top quality, Again, service here was top notch!

Parking is in the attached garage and easy/very short walk across to the lobby, Several restaurants nearby.We were undecided between Liberty Taproom and Blue Marlin. Chose Liberty Taproom because there was a football game coming on. Will def go back,

All in all....I would recommend this hotel, their restaurant (didnt try all of them), and the nearby Liberty Taproom to anyone visiting this area. As far as that goes, I will go out of my way to stay at the Columbia Marriott again myself! NICE leaving a hotel feeling pampered and spoiled!

Room Tip: I had a corner suite, Loved it! I didn't grade the spa as I didnt use it but if its like this re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear jspano,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing such nice comments with the Tripadvisor community about your recent visit with us at the Marriott Columbia. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team and celebrate them. I agree with you about the Fried Green Tomato BLT, it is awesome. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to hosting you again when you return to town. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Vitoria, ES
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We got a room with 2 double beds, and ended up fitting 5 people in the room!We were going to a event in Camden SC and wanted to stay in a nice place. But other friends also ended up getting rooms there.
It was not so expensive and food was great!We were able to park more than one car for each apt we booked.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed the night of August 16, 2013 at this Marriott. While the rooms were very nice, the lobby was undergoing major renovation and the parking garage was cramped and dirty. The "business center" was 1 computer and 1 printer stuck in a corner off the elevator and there was at least 1/2 hour wait to use it.

There was a large group of black males rampaging in the hallway on the our floor, screaming racial epithets, slamming doors, cursing, etc. until 1:30 am - and they started back up again at 5 am so we got less than 4 hours sleep.

The staff was extremely competent and friendly even when errors were made on our bills - the errors were straightened out immediately upon our noticing them but the staff needs to stay on top of these things.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Iva F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your visit with us. I appreciate your positive comments and I am glad you were able to enjoy our newly renovated guest rooms and that our service Team took good care of you. I am so sorry that the group of rowdy people disturbed your night’s sleep. I have shared your comments with my Security team to ensure they understand the importance of keeping the hotel nice and quiet at night. I am happy to report that the majority of public area renovation is complete and our new hotel is coming together quite well. I hope you choose to come back and see us again soon, please reach out to me directly if I may be of service. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Tired Marriott, but under renovation so looking for better things to come. Probably one of the most disappointing $300 rooms that I have ever occupied. Overall service was pretty bad, too - B-team must have been playing.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear ajsheels,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. I am sorry that you did not experience our hotel at her best. I am thrilled to inform you that the majority of construction is complete and our hotel is starting to look quite nice in the public areas to go along with our new guest rooms and Concierge Lounge. I would like to try and resolve your challenges, please reach out to me directly so I may address your issues personally (03) 771-7000. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at this Marriot over the weekend. It is in a fairly good location with a local street market that sets up every Saturday morning one block over. The hotel however is under major renovation. From the looks of it, the renovation could go for a few more months. Staff were very friendly but not sure if I would stay there again until renovations are done.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear fun2travel63,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.com. I am sorry you did not experience our hotel at her best. I am happy to report that the renovations are very close to being complete. We have opened our beautiful new Lobby, Front Entrance and our new Restaurant is unveiling this week. I am glad you were able to enjoy our staff service and the Main Street Farmers Market that is located outside our doors every Saturday. While I am disappointed that your experience was not exceptional, I am happy to report your next visit will be amazing. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and I wish you safe and exciting travels.