“I thought I would die going through the long Pool room!”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
“I thought I would die going through the long Pool room!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I wish they had told me that they were undergoing major renovations before I booked a 3-day stay. I expected a lot from the Marriott name. There were construction areas on the outside and the inside had nearly all of the lobby totally cordoned off with the poor hotel staff stuck up under the stairs that went to the upper lobby area! The problem was that the elevator was broken that took you from the upper lobby to the main lobby and vice versa. The parking garage in behind the hotel had a walk-through that brought you to the upper lobby. They said we had to go through the long pool room to get to our rooms from the garage pass-through and vice-versa unless we climbed the steps. The 1st morning I had to go through the long pool room was not too bad as there were like 4 men cleaning the pool and pool area, but the 2nd morning when I had to go through the pool room, they had used some extremely caustic chemical that was horrid and I could not breathe, burning the eyes, burning the throat and causing me to have an asthma attack! There was another guest that came up behind me and it was awful, we were both running through to the other side to get out the door to fresh air. I literally thought I was going to die in there! The other problems I had were: 1) had to ask for a mini-fridge 2 times and when they finally brought one it was beat up and missing a leg so it wobbled real bad and so I stuck a plastic fork up under it to keep it from wobbling so bad; 2) the size of the bathroom was tiny with the door opening into the bathroom and only missing the commode by a few inches and you had to close the door to use the commode or to get into the tub/shower; 3) there was no vent fan for taking a shower so the consequence of having to basically close the door resulted in a very humid tiny room that fogged up the mirror; 4) the size of the room does not accommodate a desk with a roll chair in front of the bed - there was not enough room. They need to adjust this design as it does not work for the average individual (I notice in the photos now that they have the desk part rolled over at an angle); 5) the laundry room was closed for renovation. So I had to wash out my laundry by hand in the sink and try to dry them using towel squeezing and then hanging them up overnight and using the iron and/or hair dryer. I did order a breakfast one morning and it was very good (they do not have a continental breakfast area here like they do in most hotels). I did walk around downtown Columbia but was so disappointed in what was available - so many storefronts were vacant and for sale or lease. In looking at the renovated room, I could see that the contractors allowed short cuts like the threshold being cut several inches too short and using a lot of caulk to fill in the gap, etc. I do not plan to stay here again as I don't think the price is worth it.

Room Tip: You may want to get a room on the 2nd floor so you don't have to go up and down the elevators as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MRoseBC
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear MRoseBC,,

My staff and I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry the elevator was not operating correctly when you were here, it is working property at this time. I am also sorry that the pool chemicals were disturbing to you, I will address this with my team immediately. We do take your feedback seriously and I will ensure each issue is addressed promptly. The good news, we are nearing completion of our new Restaurant and Lobby and this hotel will far exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

While the hotel staff were very courteous and responsive, I wish I could say it made up for the current state of the hotel. Upon arrival (after 6 hours in the car), we were disappointed immediately. The entrance to the hotel looked like the construction site of a parking garage. It was partitioned off with curtains, but in a several stories high lobby, it's impossible to hide. The front desk was a make shift podium. Not a welcoming experience.

The rooms are renovated nicely. However, I reserved a suite for 5. A king with a sofa bed and a roll a way. We were initially given a room with 1 king bed. No sofa or roll away. The front desk immediately responded and switched our room. However, the 'suite' was clearly not big enough to accommodate 5 adults as advertised, let alone my family of five. We made it work because at this point we were tired and just wanted to settle in.

Fortunately, we are here for just one night. Otherwise I would switch hotels.

Again, the staff was very courteous. But even they can't overcome the state of renovations in process.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear MollyChina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.com. My team and I very much appreciate you commenting that the service and rooms were excellent. I am sorry the room you reserved was too small for five of you, I will look at our system to ensure we are clear on how many people will fit per room. I am happy to report that our new Restaurant, Entrance and Great Room a very close to completion and when done, we will be the shining star of Columbia. I hope you choose to join us again and see us at our best. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because of the great rate I was able to get. The location is perfect and within walking distance to most downtown attractions. Although the hotel is undergoing major renovations, it is still extremely well kept. My baggage was delayed in Atlanta, but the hotel staff went above and beyond to see if I needed anything while my bags were in transit. The room was very nice and well kept. Free parking on the weekend was a nice plus too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bburton00,

Thank you for sharing such nice comments about the Marriott Columbia on TripAdvisor.com. My staff is very excited to show off our brand new hotel very soon. Please reach out to me personally when you come back so I may say hello. Thanks again for the comments and for choosing to stay with us.

Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed for a wedding and booked a suite so we could have extra space for the children. The suite is very small, once you pulled the sofa bed out that is it, no more room. Also did not like the glass door on the suite since you had no privacy if you wanted it , think the glass door is best though as the room would have appeared even smaller without it. House keeping did not do a good job as the kids noticed the mirror when it became foggy the prior guest had written nasty on it. Room came with breakfast, they did have a waffle and omelet station. Food was average on the buffet but room service was a little better. The pool was very cold and the gym was average.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mdjohnson0819
Dear Mdjohnson0819,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. I am sorry the Jr. Suite you stayed in was not the size of your needs. We do have large Suites with connecting parlors that my fit your needs better next time. I will address your comments with my team to ensure they focus on improvement. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I hope to welcome you back soon.

DC
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I'd like to give it a 3.5 rating but rounding up since my coworker and I were able to get a great rate. So it's a 4 for the price. I'm sure the lowered rate was due to the construction.

The hotel is going through some major renovations - one section is completely gutted. I'm sure it'll look nice once it's done but in the meanwhile, it's a work in progress. I was up on the 8th floor and did not hear any construction noise but I heard other people complaining about the noise who were on lower floors. And of course they seemed to the loudest in the morning.

The garage is next to the hotel and it's not the most welcoming garage but it suffices. The bridge to the hotel from the garage is covered but goes into the part of the hotel that is being remodeled. This meant that the elevator down to the check-in area is very dilapidated and the area you walk through is quite warm. The garage for us was $12/day.

The room was good although the bathroom was a bit small. Towels are still soft (they must have just replaced them). Everything inside is remodeled and overall it looks nice - just wish they would have expanded the bathroom but I know that's a major change. They have a flat screen TV along with the other normal extras. Concierge lounge is adequate although some days were definitely better than others. One day the fruit platter is changed more frequently as is the coffee. The next day the coffee has leftover ground beans and the fruit platter had clearly been sitting out a bit longer than the previous day.

The staff was friendly enough but I didn't really use their services so can't really comment too much.

Dear oundine,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Tripadvisor community. I appreciate you pointing out that the rooms have recently been renovated, that you did not experience any noise issues and that your linens were fresh. We are finishing up a 12 million dollar refresh of this hotel and when completed, we will be quite a nice property. The workers at the hotel have a time restrictions and will not make any noise prior to 9:00am or after 5:00pm I am sorry if your work disrupted your visit and hope you come back to see us soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had a Toastmasters meeting to attend and my husband came along and we stayed at the Marriott because it is our favorite hotel and we have been pleased in the past. Check in was great,Taylor was very helpful. I gave a cash deposit, realizing this best because it can take days getting your money back off a card.

The bathroom was not swept but I did not complain just cleaned it myself. The room was very small, something we were not used to at the Marriott however it served the purpose that we needed it for. About 4:00 am my husband contacted the front desk for more washcloths and was told someone would be up shortly with them. 5:00am came 5:30, 5:45, no one showed up. We decided to leave.

At Checkout I was told that they could not give me my cash back and they requested my credit card so they could put the money on that immediately. Well for some reason I trusted them and gave them the card. BIG MISTAKE. My card was charged $50 not credited. I did not find out until I was back home. After calling my card company I called the hotel and spoke with Rachel who advised me that it would take 3 to 5 business days for the money to be back on the card. I really don't like people messing with my money!!!!. I called back on Monday and spoke with Julie who conferenced called the card company and still have the same results I have to wait to be reimbursed on the card for a mistake that I had no part in. No one offered any compensation for my inconvenience, this is not the Marriott that I know in love. I will post on Thursday whether or not this was cleared up. If not I will be contacting the hotel manager.

1 Thank humblepaula
Dear humblepaula,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about our hotel on line. I am very sorry that you did not find our floor to be in perfect condition. I will address this issue with my housekeeping staff immediately. I am also sorry about the cash / Debit Card issue, you should not have to work hard to get your money back. Since I have not heard from you, I assume all if fixed, if not, please reach out to me directly and I will ensure you are taken care of. My team and I appreciate you staying with us and hope you choose to return and let us show you our best.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel has been renovated in past few years, an old building that has new carpet etc. Good location, but check the Hampton and Courtyard as they are also in same area. Restaurant is being remodeled and should be done in July. Concierge lounge is standard or a little less.