“Sporatic staff, standard rooms”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel has been renovated in past few years, an old building that has new carpet etc. Good location, but check the Hampton and Courtyard as they are also in same area. Restaurant is being remodeled and should be done in July. Concierge lounge is standard or a little less.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am a frequent guest of this hotel and cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff and property!

The hotel itself as been under renovation to update and is up to date. The staff is what differentiates this hotel from others.

Everyone is friendly, helpful, nice and kind. Christian at the front desk is the best! A new food and beverage Director, Jeff, is overhauling the dining options and demonstrates the best customer service skills that I have seen in nearly 15yrs of business travel. The rest of the staff is happy, polite and very friendly.

This hotel is right downtown, so is a quick walk to many restaurants.

Great property!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2013

These hotels have gotten very iffy - since they are no longer the top of the Marriott chain for the most part (I'm in love with the Marco Island Resort) it's catch as catch can. This Marriott has the worst restaurant in the country - once I went over to the wait station and sorted through 10 or 15 napkins before I found one that wasn't so stained I couldn't use it. But the omelet was delicious, the front desk was just great, and the valet staff were fantastic. The Concierge Lounge, not so much. But all in all, you can count on a decent price and a good stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear cindy_weinmann,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Tripadvisor community. I have shared your feedback with my team and commit that you will see more consistency and a much nicer hotel next time you come back. I agree, Marco Island is a great property, my goal is to reach and exceed their quality. I am confident we will get there soon as our renovation will deliver a brand new hotel and fantastic new restaurant and Bar. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for a little more than a week at this Property, And the Front desk staff are the most friendliest I have came across in a while, The Breakfast buffet was very good , There is a Parking facility next to the Marriott which is accessible by a Bridge which is very easy to navigate , Nice pool & workout area. This property is well maintained And is a very easy area to walk to all of the shops and Restaurants that are nearby

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We recently stopped in downtown Columbia on our way home from Charleston. The area seemed nice, the hotel lobby was cool, clean, and looked new. We called from the lobby to make a reservation. After some haggling, I used Marriott awards points to pay for the room - a very nice surprise. The reservations clerk was excellent. Check-in was also good. It went down hill from there.

The room was nice but really lacking compared to our room in Charleston that we had just left. We were on the end of a hall with a large group. They slammed doors until about 2:00 a.m. and then started again around 7 a.m. The maid knocked on our door around 7:30 to see if we had checked out. Then another knocked 30 minutes later. Finally, we checked out at 9 feeling like we were holding the cleaning crew back from their appointed rounds and glad to be rid of slamming doors. One of the noisiest hotels I've ever stayed in.

The room was clean. Bed was OK. Pillows were lacking until we found 2 more in the closet. TV was small and inconveniently located. All in all, it was adequate but less than I expect from a great name like Marriott.

Room Tip: Great location.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Upon arrival I parked in the garage located beside the hotel. I had read there was a walkway from the hotel to the garage but was unable to figure out where it was until later when we wanted to use it to go from the hotel to the garage. There were no signs posted stating at all how to get to the garage. (Here is how: Go to 2nd floor and then toward the pool. Take the door directly in front of you that goes alongside the pool and then turn right after you go through the second door) Our second problem was I had brought along my PS3 to hook up to the TV in order to watch Netflix or you tube on. They have hookups for everything, Marriott even advertises that they do, however the TV would refuse to go to input. I called the desk, and the lady said she would send up their engineer to figure it out, but he never arrived. The refrigerator in the room also didn't work but we didn't know about it until later after we had put food into it. Our final negative mark on the hotel is rather minor and expected with a high class hotel: Even though i had already paid through Priceline, I was told they still must have a credit card on file and would be withholding $150 for a deposit and incidentals. I don't own a credit card so the entire weekend $150 was frozen on my bank account. Everything else wasn't really too bad, lobby, halls, room, everything was new and fresh and the location is nice. I was treated with the upmost professionalism by the desk staff.

Room Tip: Don't expect the TV inputs to work, Parking is free on the weekends in the garage and after 5pm...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is in average condition. The position of the hotel is easy walk from all downtown restaurants and bars. The staff was typical Marriott friendly. The concierge room and food were below average. I would recommend the Courtyard nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business