“Nice Marriott, but with some small problems”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #22 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Upon arrival I parked in the garage located beside the hotel. I had read there was a walkway from the hotel to the garage but was unable to figure out where it was until later when we wanted to use it to go from the hotel to the garage. There were no signs posted stating at all how to get to the garage. (Here is how: Go to 2nd floor and then toward the pool. Take the door directly in front of you that goes alongside the pool and then turn right after you go through the second door) Our second problem was I had brought along my PS3 to hook up to the TV in order to watch Netflix or you tube on. They have hookups for everything, Marriott even advertises that they do, however the TV would refuse to go to input. I called the desk, and the lady said she would send up their engineer to figure it out, but he never arrived. The refrigerator in the room also didn't work but we didn't know about it until later after we had put food into it. Our final negative mark on the hotel is rather minor and expected with a high class hotel: Even though i had already paid through Priceline, I was told they still must have a credit card on file and would be withholding $150 for a deposit and incidentals. I don't own a credit card so the entire weekend $150 was frozen on my bank account. Everything else wasn't really too bad, lobby, halls, room, everything was new and fresh and the location is nice. I was treated with the upmost professionalism by the desk staff.

Room Tip: Don't expect the TV inputs to work, Parking is free on the weekends in the garage and after 5pm...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is in average condition. The position of the hotel is easy walk from all downtown restaurants and bars. The staff was typical Marriott friendly. The concierge room and food were below average. I would recommend the Courtyard nearby.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Upon entering, yes, the parking garage was a pain. It is obvious the hotel has been recently renovated and our room smelled like new carpet, which was nice. The bathrooms are tiny and when I pulled the curtain back to shower I found the previous occupant's dirty wash cloth still hanging on the towel rack. There were also closet hangers left on the back of the bathroom door and the bag holding the hair dryer looks like its covered in cat hair. I'm wondering if the bathroom was actually cleaned at all! I agree with the previous persons post about the strange sounds. My 5 year old keeps saying the sounds are scaring her. Sounds like running water that never stops. Can't imagine we'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 15, 2013

In the past year, I have stayed in over twenty Marriott hotels. We are reward members at the Platinum Elite level. This location is an abomination, I have never seen another Marriott property that is so filthy. My family had three rooms booked, we gave up one as it was full of dust and mildew. The mirrors were so smeared with finger/handprints that it resembled a crime scene. In one of the other two rooms, the staff had to clean the toilet as it was covered in a previous guest's hair and urine and actually needed a flush. We had driven just shy of 500 miles to get there and were quite tired, so we tried to have dinner in the lobby restaurant. The tables were filthy, the glasses were appalling and the cloth napkins should have been replaced years ago. We left and ate elsewhere.
I spoke to the manager, she said they were undergoing renovations (we saw no evidence) and offered to put dessert in our rooms for later. We declined, we could not imagine eating food prepped in this place. The other Marriotts in town were full, since it was only for one night, we stayed. Be warned.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GOarmywife
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear GOarmywife,

I am very disappointed to read the comments you recently posted regarding your families visit with us. I can not explain nor will I provide you with an excuse for this experience. I can confidently tell you that we are much better than what you saw and commit to using your feedback as a learning tool for my team. I can also confirm that we have recently finished a full room renovation and will soon refresh our lobby and Restaurant. My team and I are very sorry and hope you give us a chance to earn your loyalty back. We do appreciate your feedback and promise to use it to improve. I wish you and your family safe travels.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Courtesy airport transportation and walking distance to several lunch and dinner options. Quiet room and well-suited for business meetings and conferences. When their shuttle back to the airport wasn't available, they paid for a taxi for me - good customer service.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here as part of a business trip - our office in SC swears by the place. It's a nice Marriott. It's undergoing renovations, but service was very good, the breakfast buffet was fine, the on-site restaurant and bar were fine. Fitness center was bigger than normal and well kept. Pool was smaller than normal but indoors.

Two quirky things, one good, one not so good. Hotel mini-refrigerators are notoriously bad at cooling things, but not here. I left a soda in the little thing overnight and it was a solid block of ice by the next morning. (Congrats to the Marriott for finding a great vendor!) On the downside, the pillow smelled a little...I'll go with musty. The place was super clean, so I don't know if there was just a quirk with that one pillow or if there was a problem with the room earlier. Otherwise the place was great. And there's a coke machine in the parking garage if you hate Pepsi.

The location was great - downtown Columbia is really charming and there is a nice restaurant across the street as well as other dining options nearby.

Room Tip: They were renovating the concierge floor. You might want to be sure you don't end up on the flo...
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The staff was pleasant and efficient at check-in. The bell staff was very responsive. The hotel is well-located and the bed is comfy. But at breakfast, at 8 AM, the hot food at the buffet was not hot. I think this is b/c the lids on the trays for eggs, sausage and potatoes all were left open. This seemed odd to me (when you cover a lid on a steam table the food stays hot and doesn't dry out), but after I took my food and closed the lids, the attendant (who was very cheerful) came by and opened them all again. So I guess that's policy. I know I sound like a whiney baby but I was hungry and left disapponted. If you want a hot breakfast here I think you're better off ordering from the menu.

Dear Tommyg2230,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment about the Marriott Columbia. I am very happy to read such nice comments about the staff. Your feedback about the buffet food temperature is appreciated and has been addressed, thank you. My team and I hope to welcome you back soon and this fall will be boasting a beautiful new breakfast buffet. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Kindest Regards,