“Can you imagine steam table food actually being Cold? Eat the Buffet Breakfast Here”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The staff was pleasant and efficient at check-in. The bell staff was very responsive. The hotel is well-located and the bed is comfy. But at breakfast, at 8 AM, the hot food at the buffet was not hot. I think this is b/c the lids on the trays for eggs, sausage and potatoes all were left open. This seemed odd to me (when you cover a lid on a steam table the food stays hot and doesn't dry out), but after I took my food and closed the lids, the attendant (who was very cheerful) came by and opened them all again. So I guess that's policy. I know I sound like a whiney baby but I was hungry and left disapponted. If you want a hot breakfast here I think you're better off ordering from the menu.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Tommyg2230,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment about the Marriott Columbia. I am very happy to read such nice comments about the staff. Your feedback about the buffet food temperature is appreciated and has been addressed, thank you. My team and I hope to welcome you back soon and this fall will be boasting a beautiful new breakfast buffet. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a positive review of the Columbia Marriott based on my recent stay for a business trip.

Starting off with parking, you park in a shared garage with a covered walkway bridge that takes you to the hotel. From there, check in was smooth with a quick recognition of my Golds Reward status. Unfortnatly, the concierge lounge was closed for renovations but that was fine and they offered me a breakfast coupon.

Had a very nice dinner across the street at Vineyard, do I smell a Yelp review brewing? The ninth floor Junior Concierge Suite was nice. The wi-fi wasn't strong in my room but I was so zapped that I didn't feel like asking the hotel to bother about that. I had a good night sleep and a productive breakfast with my colleagues before taking on the day's meetings.

All in all, a good stay. Thank you Columbia Marriott!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed in April 2013 - good size room and bathroom - very big comfortable bed - no mini bar - breakfast was good and sports bar was lively with good drinks choice. Would recommend however nearest choice of restaurants was 15 mins away.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a solid hotel in downtown Columbia. It seems to be well managed and organized. The bar/restaurant was very active and well attended by the hotel guests. Public parking is right next door. It's very close to the University and expressway.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We came to Columbia for 3 days with one of our sons. The hotel has a great location; it is well worth getting out and walking around, especially up Main Street toward the Capitol and the university. First, the staff is very nice and helpful, but not obsequious. I needed a pair of hosiery at the last minute, and they opened up their gift shop to sell me some so I wouldn't have to walk or drive around to find some. The beds are a little on the soft side, but we like a firm bed and we did not get any backaches from these. Thankfully, the light blocking curtains work VERY well and we easily could have slept well into the morning. Our son enjoyed the pool and the room service one night, and the breakfast buffet was fine (though of course, pricey, which is to be expected in a hotel). Our only complaint was the noise from the renovations, which lasts until 6 p.m. Just be sure to ask for the lowest floor possible and you'll be fine. We were put on the 9th floor, and we would really hear the drilling and hammering, but the staff were sensitive enough to figure this out, and offered to move us before we even complained (we accepted). So overall, a very good stay which will only improve once the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Go for the lowest floor possible until renovations are complete.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Even though they are under rennovation (which is actually a good thing) this is a good place to stay. Attentive staff at all levels of the organization makes all the difference in the world. Having kind and helpful people from front desk staff to maintenance men makes all the difference in the stay. Very helpful folks..southern charm and southern hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Unbelievably loud. Crowded with out of control USC "students". It's now 2:25 am and there is noise next door and in hallway. We've had strangers trying to open our door because they are too drunk to find their room. Appalling.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 97edwardc

Dear 97edwardc,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit with us. I am so sorry that other guests were disrespectful of your sleep by making so much noise. My team will do their best to identify possible disruptive guests and keep them quite from the start. Again, I am sorry that you were disrupted by intoxicated and loud guests, I am happy to report that this is primarily a business hotel and this type of experience is rare. Safe Travels!

Kindest Regards,