“Hotel needs uplift. Just Average.”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Charlotte
“Hotel needs uplift. Just Average.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on this hotel for 2 nights on business. Location is great but as a Marriott Platinum member, it's not the type of property that will "woo" you as it's a bit old and in need of a facelift. Good points: service was excellent from the bell man, to check in to check out. Bad points: my room was small. The double beds were wobbly and I should've asked for a king size room. The parking is attached to an old office building and it takes 2-3 elevators to get to/from it. In summary, it' OK/average.I feel it was not up to the value of a $179 rate. Perhaps if my room would've been larger and beds better I'd think otherwise. I think I'll try the Courtyard or Springhill Suites nearby next time.

• Stayed March 2013
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear JayMoli,

Thank you so much for providing us with such excellent feedback. I am very happy to read that the service team treating you so well. I am sorry that you had a challenge getting from the garage to your room. I recommend using our Valet service as the lobby and guest floor elevators are located very near the hotel entrance. I am very happy to report to you that your comments about the building are already being addressed. The hotel is nearly 50% completed with our room renovations and will be addressing all of the public areas of the hotel and entrance this summer. Next time you come back to Columbia I am quite confident that you will be quite impressed. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to meeting you in person.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been staying at Columbia Marriott for 8 years for business travel and the staff and food/beverage personnel are awesome. They are what keeps me coming back. Some renovation going on now which just makes the property better. Enjoy Garnet's Sports Bar with Liliana, Jill, Ericka, Jules, and Savannah!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear John K,

Welcome to tripAdvisor.com and thank you for 8 years of being our guests. You are not the first and I am sure, not the last, to complement our amazing Food and Beverage team. I am very excited to share with you that we have very big things in the works. The hotel restaurant and bar concepts will bring world class cocktail programming featuring local craft beers, local and premium Whisky, Bourbons and Scotches all accompanies by a unique wine selection. Our Chef has been working hard at perfecting his “New Southern” menu and current feedback from test meals is amazing. Please ask for me next time you are in town so I may say hello in person. Thank you again for your loyalty.

New York City
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friends affectionately call me a "hotel snob" as I've travelled and stayed all over the world in some very chi-chi places. I was very pleasantly caught off guard and thrilled by the down-home service at the Columbia Marriott. The service was so friendly and genuine, I decided to "test" everyone and see if it was just an act

Nope. .

The Columbia Marriott is the real thing. The hotel passed with flying colors on every single level. I'll definitely return and highly recommend it. They really do live up to Marriott's "Spirit to Serve" motto. Just SOME of the notables:

The front desk manager Chris Johnson who went out of his way to make sure our oversized SUV would have sufficient parking

Christian, Tailah, Docia (sp?) at the front desk

Kevin who cleared our table at the banquet

Akasha (sp?) in the gift shop

Bravo to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear LeGrande777,

You certainly do not sound like a hotel snob! Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about our team here at the Marriott Columbia. South Carolina is full of very nice and hospitable people who live Southern Hospitality. I am very fortunate to work with such great people and such nice guests. I will share your comments with the team and celebrate their greatness. I hope to welcome you back soon and look forward to hearing about other travels you have enjoyed.

Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Here for two days for a convention. Room was adequate and very clean. Only negative was that construction was going on so impossible to rest during the day because of sounds of drills and hammering. Staff was very friendly. One weird thing was that gift shop was closed most of the time. The courtesy of the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant was outstanding as well as the front desk I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Mary Kay D,

My team and I appreciate you r taking the time to share your feedback about the Marriott Columbia and our team with the TripAdvisor community. I take your feedback very seriously as your profile shows that you travel quite frequently. I am very sorry that you heard our work in progress while you were here for your meeting, I hope it did not bother you too much. We are trying very hard to keep any noise down when our guests are in their rooms. The feedback we are receiving from guests in our completed rooms is outstanding, and worth the occasional drill sound. My team and I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and wish you safe and exciting travels.

Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The property was by far the nicest in Columbia! Convenient location to all things to do, wonderful facilities, and an very nice staff. When traveling to Columbia, if you require an overnight stay, consider this property for sure! We stayed for just one night, but if it would have been possible, we would have gladly stayed longer.

Room Tip: If you're in the mood, ask the staff if it is possible to upgrade you to a suite, and be sure to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear bagator1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such amazing comments about the Marriott Columbia and our team with the TripAdvisor community. You are obviously very well-traveled so your comments make us even more proud. I am happy to read that you were able to enjoy Columbia and all of the things going on Downtown. My team and I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and wish you safe and exciting travels.

Easton, Maryland
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed in other hotels in Columbia including the other Marriott's and this is the best. It's located in the heart of downtown close to the art museum, great restaurants, the farmer's market, and easy to get just about anywhere (the campus, shopping). Service was exceptional and extremely friendly. It's a very busy hotel and noisy at night. Ask for a quiet, corner room or high floor.

Room Tip: could use a little sprucing up but there's obviously a huge turnover in guests
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear margarita200,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such wonderful comments about the Marriott Columbia and our team. I am happy to read that you were able to enjoy Columbia and all of the things happening on Main Street. The Farmers Market, just outside on Saturday's, one of my (and my Chef's) favorite events for the entire family to enjoy. The Monet and Matisse exhibit at the Columbia Museum of Art, has received amazing reviews from the press and our guests. My team and I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and wish you safe and exciting travels.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The staff was amazing! Everyone was very friendly, from the time we pulled up to ask the bellman where to park to the day we left , I have nothing but praise for them! They were very helpful. Chris J. was especially helpful in trying to get my boys and I a tour of the Gamecocks football and baseball stadiums. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The exercise room had nice equipment. The pool and hot tub were in good condition. The pool was a constant 86* and the hot tub was 104*. Breakfast was tasty. If you have your choice for waitress, Katrina is who you should ask for...friendly and attentive to our needs. Good location for what I needed and downtown Columbia was really clean.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kirk R
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Kirk R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent comments regarding your visit last week. I am thrilled that Chris and Katrina were able to show you such special service. I am also happy to read that our Bell Staff greeted you promptly and that you found Main Street Columbia to be so clean. I think it is fantastic that you had the opportunity to tour William Brice Stadium and our new baseball facility at USC. My team and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope you come back to visit soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.