Columbia Marriott
Sheraton.com
  • Restaurant
$127
$118
All reviewsthe concierge loungeshrimp and gritsfront deskparking garagebreakfast buffetbusiness travelstate housemini fridgeindoor poolomeletsouthern hospitalitysouth carolinadowntownmidlandsvaletconferencebellman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here last week for one night, on business. Room was good, all facilities you would expect from a Marriott are there. Hotel is about 10 minute walk from the restaurant and shopping area, though please do not get too exited.

Had dinner in the Sportsbar of the hotel, good burger, friendly staff, average price. Staff at concierge and reception was also very friendly.

The hotel is just not attractive, lacks personality. I guess it is ok for a couple of nights on business.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
JoelD2012, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Tigerwoods100,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your visit in November. I am glad you found the hotel to meet most of your needs and that the staff treated you well. I am happy to report that the property has started a significant enhancement plan and you will be able to see the difference in our guest rooms as early as this week. We are in the process of redoing every guest room and when that is complete we will be updating all of our public areas of the hotel. We will have a beautiful restaurant featuring New Southern Cuisine, local crafted beers and whiskeys and a completely update meeting facility. We also will be updating the entrance, exterior and the lobby. My team and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Columbia Marriott is a fine hotel, but ironically its location on Columbia's Main Street makes it out of the way and somewhat inconvenient for football weekends (my reason for being there). I checked in on a Friday before a South Carolina football game and checked out the following Sunday. You would have thought there was an evacuation order in effect in the surrounding area the entire time. Nothing -- nothing -- was open in the immediate vicinity. The Vista area and the Five Points area (both several blocks away) were alive with entertainment and restaurant choices, but Main Street and the downtown area around the hotel was dark, and practically a ghost town. The hotel itself was fine. The rooms were comfortable, the staff friendly, and they comped our breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant since the concierge lounge was closed for the weekend. The staff was great -- they opened up the gift shop after it had closed and my wife and I wanted to buy bottled water -- no where around the hotel to do so. The hotel has valet parking, but we parked for free in a municipal garage that was connected to the hotel by a skywalk. Overall, the hotel was nice and probably a good choice if you are in town during the week on business, but definitely not the center of activity otherwise. My rating is based on the location and the fact that I had to pay an exhorbitant rate since it was a football weekend. Definitely not worth what I paid, and I would not stay here again on a football weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Wedgewood,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit to Columbia in October. I am happy to read that you found the Marriott to meet your needs. I am glad to report that many things have happened as of late to reinvigorate Main Street on the weekends. We have a Farmers Market every Saturday just outside the hotel. Main Street Ice rink has been a hit for locals to come and enjoy a skate. The Museum of Art, across the street, has a new world class exhibit, Monet and Matisse. Many new restaurants have opened and the vibe on the weekends is much more electric. Many of our guests have commented to me how nice of a 5 block walk it is to the University of South Carolina and Gervais Street. My team and I very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope you come back and see what's new, very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Darr

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Recently assisted/attended a national conference at this downtown Marriott. Every employee we met was more than helpful. Would stop what they were working on to assist our group and ensure our comfort and needs were met. Did not spend the night, but was able to see one of the rooms. Very clean, attractive and well appropriated

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very nice staff, friendly sports bar. We had an accessible room that was very nice and met our needs perfectly. The hotel was busy but the staff was super helpful and responsive. I would stay again without hesitation.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had a group stay here. The group rate was good. Hotel is a little old, but they have done
a good job of keeping it up. They did not charge extra for parking and there were always
sufficient spaces in the garage. Breakfast cost extra, but it was good and reasonably priced
for the buffet. I would return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends