“Good Location for USC Graduation”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
bardstown
“Good Location for USC Graduation”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This hotel looks like it was in need of some updates. It has everything one would need when traveling to an important function like a graduation-good location, friendly staff, a nice breakfast buffet but it's definitely dated. Beware if you book with an outside vender like Expedia because even though the rooms are the same price you will not get Marriott points or a free breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Book directly with hotel for the best rooms. Ask for a refrigerator ahead of time if you need one.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marilyn k
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the Columbia Marriott. Letting our other guests in on helpful tips is a wonderful gesture and we truly appreciate it. Please extend our congratulations to your graduate and we hope you enjoyed the ceremony. Come back and visit soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Spent one night here on company business. Check in was efficient and received room key quickly. Room (company paid) was 4016 and didn't have exterior view, rather te window overlooked the hotel lobby and pool area. The 4th floor is right up at the atrium roof so there was metal superstructure just above the window. Indoor pool looked nice

Room had two double beds, very comfort able, but not a lot of room to set up the luggage rack. Nice desk, chair, comfy chair and floor lamp. Good coffee in single-serve maker. Bath & Body Works amenities. Nice towels.

Didn't eat in the restaurant, but some colleagues said the chicken caesar salad from room service was good.

Short walk to State House which is a great place to visit if you have time. Not a large number of restaurants open for breakfast nearby.

I would stay here again but would ask for an exterior (street view) room.

• Stayed April 2012
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful acknowledgement of the Columbia Marriott, its staff and amenities. We’re delighted that you enjoyed a restful night’s sleep and the attentive service you deserve. We hope to welcome you back to the Columbia area for another great stay at our hotel.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and always been very happy with it. My most incredible hotel story happened here. I was in an accident while in Columbia, SC, in October 2011, and staying at this hotel. The staff could not have been more solicitous, kind, and helpful. They drove me to my car. They gave me breakfast on the house. They showed such concern for me it made me cry. Not only does the hotel have spotlessly clean, modern, spacious rooms, all the facilities you'd expect at an urban motel (fitness room, indoor/outdoor pool, etc., etc.), and all the other amenities, they have the nicest staff I've ever encountered. I'll never stay at any other hotel in Columbia.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Your continued loyalty has truly humbled us and we’re sending our good thoughts your way in the hopes that you have fully recovered. It was our pleasure, as it will be in the future, to make sure that you are treated with the utmost respect and consideration, focusing on our commitment to customer service. Thank you so much for your gracious review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Columbia Marriott very soon.
Lawrenceville, Ga
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Extremely nice staff (check-in, house keeping, and dining). The location was convenient (walking distance - up to 1 mile) to downtown spots (eating, Capital, USC...)

Everything (rooms, decor) seemed a little dated and tired.

Price was good, would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you chose to spend some time at the Columbia Marriott and appreciate your kind words for our staff. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location and we look forward to greeting you again very soon.
Murrells Inlet
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Everyone in this hotel went out of their way to accommodate my family in every way. The location is perfect for ball games or another activity that is happening in the downtown area.

• Stayed April 2012
How nice that the convenient location of the Columbia Marriott worked out so well for and your stay was enjoyable. We’re delighted to learn that you received the personalized attention that our staff strives to provide all our guests and we can’t wait to welcome you back again!
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My son and I stayed here while visiting the USC campus. Very nice hotel. Clean, convenient, friendly staff.
It was roughly a six block walk to campus, but not a difficult walk. There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the Columbia airport.
We were waiting around the lobby for the shuttle, and went into Garnets Sports bar and Grille. My son ordered a soda, but I had one with me, so I didn't want anything. I told the waitress we were just killing a little time. When it was time to go, I went to the bar to pay for the coke, and she said not to worry about it...! It's small things like that that make a difference.
i really don't understand the lukewarm reviews. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
On behalf of the entire Columbia Marriott team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and staff. We believe it’s the small details that make such a difference, so we strive to provide each of our guests with exceptional service, quality and comfort, and it’s nice to see we met that goal with you. The University of South Carolina campus is a beautiful place to visit and we’re thrilled that our convenient location made it even more enjoyable for you. Please take a moment to like us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and current Columbia happenings. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the very near future and thank you for your review.
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'm a Marriott Rewards Gold member and I stay exclusively in Marriott and Hilton properties up and down the East Coast for business. I don't consider myself to be an overly picky traveler, just someone who appreciates a clean, quiet, and up-to-date property. And I always expect friendly service because I always reciprocate friendliness.

On this trip, my wife and I stayed in Columbia for a single weeknight a few days ago while in town for a wedding. We stayed here on Marriott points. The only reason I gave this property two stars instead of one is because I didn't have to pay and we did receive very friendly service (Rita checked us in and she was very personable). Other than that, I was disappointed.

The room was very dated and this made me automatically question how clean it was. How clean is dark carpet that should have been replaced years ago? I noticed the plexiglass roof panels over the pool/exercise area had been patched with duck tape many times. The elevators, the common areas, the rather noisy hallways, the parking garage, etc. are mediocre at best. You get the idea.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll look for another property. Hopefully, in the meantime, Marriott will pony up the money to give this worn-out hotel a much needed facelift. Marriott has mostly very nice properties...but they need to hold everything with their name on the door to a consistent standard.

1 Thank pawleyscreek
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Hearing from our guests, whether positive or otherwise, is absolutely appreciated and gives us the opportunity to evaluate what areas need improvement and those where we are succeeding. We hope you and your wife enjoyed the wedding you attended and please pass on our congratulations to the happy couple. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and we would hope to have another opportunity in the future to fully impress you with everything our hotel has to offer.