“Great Staff”
Review of Columbia Marriott

Columbia Marriott
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and always been very happy with it. My most incredible hotel story happened here. I was in an accident while in Columbia, SC, in October 2011, and staying at this hotel. The staff could not have been more solicitous, kind, and helpful. They drove me to my car. They gave me breakfast on the house. They showed such concern for me it made me cry. Not only does the hotel have spotlessly clean, modern, spacious rooms, all the facilities you'd expect at an urban motel (fitness room, indoor/outdoor pool, etc., etc.), and all the other amenities, they have the nicest staff I've ever encountered. I'll never stay at any other hotel in Columbia.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Your continued loyalty has truly humbled us and we’re sending our good thoughts your way in the hopes that you have fully recovered. It was our pleasure, as it will be in the future, to make sure that you are treated with the utmost respect and consideration, focusing on our commitment to customer service. Thank you so much for your gracious review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Columbia Marriott very soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Extremely nice staff (check-in, house keeping, and dining). The location was convenient (walking distance - up to 1 mile) to downtown spots (eating, Capital, USC...)

Everything (rooms, decor) seemed a little dated and tired.

Price was good, would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

We are thrilled that you chose to spend some time at the Columbia Marriott and appreciate your kind words for our staff. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location and we look forward to greeting you again very soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Everyone in this hotel went out of their way to accommodate my family in every way. The location is perfect for ball games or another activity that is happening in the downtown area.

• Stayed: April 2012

How nice that the convenient location of the Columbia Marriott worked out so well for and your stay was enjoyable. We’re delighted to learn that you received the personalized attention that our staff strives to provide all our guests and we can’t wait to welcome you back again!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

My son and I stayed here while visiting the USC campus. Very nice hotel. Clean, convenient, friendly staff.
It was roughly a six block walk to campus, but not a difficult walk. There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the Columbia airport.
We were waiting around the lobby for the shuttle, and went into Garnets Sports bar and Grille. My son ordered a soda, but I had one with me, so I didn't want anything. I told the waitress we were just killing a little time. When it was time to go, I went to the bar to pay for the coke, and she said not to worry about it...! It's small things like that that make a difference.
i really don't understand the lukewarm reviews. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

On behalf of the entire Columbia Marriott team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and staff. We believe it’s the small details that make such a difference, so we strive to provide each of our guests with exceptional service, quality and comfort, and it’s nice to see we met that goal with you. The University of South Carolina campus is a beautiful place to visit and we’re thrilled that our convenient location made it even more enjoyable for you. Please take a moment to like us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and current Columbia happenings. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the very near future and thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'm a Marriott Rewards Gold member and I stay exclusively in Marriott and Hilton properties up and down the East Coast for business. I don't consider myself to be an overly picky traveler, just someone who appreciates a clean, quiet, and up-to-date property. And I always expect friendly service because I always reciprocate friendliness.

On this trip, my wife and I stayed in Columbia for a single weeknight a few days ago while in town for a wedding. We stayed here on Marriott points. The only reason I gave this property two stars instead of one is because I didn't have to pay and we did receive very friendly service (Rita checked us in and she was very personable). Other than that, I was disappointed.

The room was very dated and this made me automatically question how clean it was. How clean is dark carpet that should have been replaced years ago? I noticed the plexiglass roof panels over the pool/exercise area had been patched with duck tape many times. The elevators, the common areas, the rather noisy hallways, the parking garage, etc. are mediocre at best. You get the idea.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll look for another property. Hopefully, in the meantime, Marriott will pony up the money to give this worn-out hotel a much needed facelift. Marriott has mostly very nice properties...but they need to hold everything with their name on the door to a consistent standard.

1  Thank pawleyscreek
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Hearing from our guests, whether positive or otherwise, is absolutely appreciated and gives us the opportunity to evaluate what areas need improvement and those where we are succeeding. We hope you and your wife enjoyed the wedding you attended and please pass on our congratulations to the happy couple. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and we would hope to have another opportunity in the future to fully impress you with everything our hotel has to offer.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Housekeeping, Restaurant wait staff/grill attendent were very accomodating, I didn't care for bird flying around my table, but at least it never shared my breakfast. The bellmen very helpful and courteous ~ the rooms desperately needed updating, furniture, bedding,bathroom were all old style. No parking lot security ~ my husband was even concerned about walking thru after dark. Covenient location to hospital, but then so is the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Location and staff ~ great, but due to the rates I would NOT go back
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

While it seems our staff and location made parts of your stay very enjoyable, we do regret that you were not satisfied with your accommodations. We strive to ensure that each and every guest leaves feeling that their experience was not cookie cutter, but personalized, and we would love another opportunity to do just that with you. It would be our hope that you would consider staying with us again if you are ever in the Columbia area again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in a Jr. suite. It was perfect for a over night stop. The King size bed is in its own room with a door and then there is a nice living area with pull-out couch. They brought us a roll-away for our 13 yr old son, and our 16 & 10 yr old daughters shared the pull-out. It was a little tight, but worked just great. The room was nice and clean and had a view of the city. We would definately stay at this hotel again. A huge pool and gym on the second level of the hotel. Very nice!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
MarriottColumbia, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

It’s wonderful that the layout of our Jr. Suite gave you the privacy and functionality that you were looking for. We’re thrilled that the Columbia Marriott was able to provide you and your family with an exceptional experience and hope the next time you are able to stay with us will be for more than just one night. With so many amazing museums and attractions close by, your family will have no problem creating lasting memories of your time together. Thank you for your review and hurry back and visit us again.