“Very comfortable accommodations”

Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Stoneville, North Carolina
“Very comfortable accommodations”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Came down with a good friend for a Women's Conference at a local church. Check in went smoothly as we were allowed to check in before check-in time. Staff was very courteous and accommodating. No problems with room (2nd floor). Comfortable beds. A/C worked great. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I just returned from Columbia, S.C. and a stay at the Marriott on Hampton Street in downtown Columbia. My husband was staying at the property for the S.C. Primary and my daughter (age 5) and I met up with him for the weekend there. We were enjoying our stay until we returned from an outing and entered the hotel around 5 pm. It wasn't quite dark yet. We entered from the parking deck (a self park deck for Marriott guests) into the Marriott. We used our guest key to enter the pool area right off this entrance because my little girl wanted to see the pool. As we walked through the so-called "secure" pool entrance, a man was sitting at a poolside table and he began speaking to us. I couldn't tell what he was asking - It was inaudible b/c the pool area has a lot of echo. As I reached the second door to enter into the guest room area on floor 2 by the pool, the man got up and began following us into the hotel. We ran down to the elevator. My little girl pushed the up button but I pushed the down button, knowing it was not safe to be going up. I made sure to secure my purse and put my room key in my pocket b/c I heard the man approach us from behind. By some miracle, the elevator doors opened. I noticed the elevator was going up and I decided to make a move to see if anyone was in the elevator b/c we needed to move or do something to get away from this stranger. Thankfully, a woman and a man were in the elevator so we got in. I couldn't believe it but the strange man followed us into the up elevator. I don't think he saw the people in there until he got close. The lady could tell we were terrified of this man by the look in my eyes. She mouthed the words, "follow me." We got off on the 10th floor and as all of us exited, the strange man in the elevator said, "oh man, you're all getting off??!!" After the coast seemed clear, the lady came with us and we all went to the lobby to speak to the manager. I believe the other man called the manager to alert him immediately of this incident so when we got there he was already around the hotel looking for the perpetrator. In the meantime, the guest agent told us that homeless people sometimes make their way into the hotel by the pool b/c the door doesn't always shut properly. The manager then came back and he did not find this stranger. I just want to WARN all who stay at this hotel to beware that this hotel is NOT SECURE. The manager and the worker behind the desk talked with us as we explained the incident. But in the end, I left feeling dissatisfied that they did enough to ensure the safety of other guests. I was really shaken by this, even though I consider myself pretty street smart, having lived in medium sized to large cities all my life. So I just want to send the warning to all others contemplating a stay at this property. It's horrible. They not only need to fix the door by the pool to ensure safety of guests but also keep security cameras in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ReneeValdes
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend for business. Very good hotel. Downtown Columbia, has restaurant, sports bar, store, pool, and nice exercise room. Internet was excellent, room was nice, best sleep I've ever had in a hotel!

• Stayed January 2012
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel is nice and clean and in a decent area, though there is not a lot open after work hours. I wanted to get a water, all of the vending machines were out and the hotel store closed early. There is a great restaurant across the street and some within a mile but not much else within a few blocks. Buffet was nice though pricey considering we did not eat much. Staff was very friendly and helpful

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lv2trvlBoston
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed at this hotel Dec. 31 & January 1, 2012. The room was clean and all one would need. The bed is excellent. Very comfortable, resulting in a good nights sleep. Our AAA room rate included parking and breakfast buffet for two. The buffet is comparable to what you would have in hotels that provide complimentary breakfast. The reason for booking this hotel was to attend the George Clinton concert on Main Street New Year's Eve....which just happened to be right outside this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed here a couple of days on business the week after Thanksgiving. They were fairly busy upon check in but, the staff was very friendly and accomodating. You're best bet is to use the valet when you park here but, the one issue I would have is that the valet area is fairly limited in space and since they were busy and only had 2 valets, there were cars everywhere. There is what is called a "sports bar" in the downstairs area called Garnet's. Not sure I would classify it as a sports bar but, the bar staff was extremely helpful, you can order the full menu here and the beer is cold! The staff was more than willing to suggest menu items, other places close by to eat or any other questions you may have they would help. The rooms were clean and adequate and the front desk late night staff even helped out with making some copies for me after I hadn't made enough. This hotel seemed better staffed and cleaner than some in more major cities.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I booked this with a $50 bid on Priceline in December 2011. This is a huge hotel with a big military presence and special events, so it took a little while to finally check in. My room was clean and comfortable. I thought the one cup coffee maker was nifty. The bathroom was very clean, and I loved the complimentary travel sized Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. I paid $10 for garage parking during check in, but there was no attendant in the garage... maybe that's how another reviewer got it for free. So overall, a good stay, but a lot more bells and whistles than necessary for my taste.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business