“Find somewhere else !!!”
Review of Columbia King Buffet - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Sushi, Chinese
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Short and simple - old dirty and rundown we didn't feel comfortable when we walked in the door -- ceiling was so old that while we were wailing to eat part of the roof collapsed on another couple dining -- that is when we walked out the door !

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although the atmosphere was eclectic and dim,we barely noticed when we started eating the food. Ranged from sushi to seafood (the baked crab was the best I've ever tasted), to steak Nd salad to all the normal Chinese buffet items. They also have an area to pick up meats veggies and noodles to pick your own ingredients for hibachi plates. We have a very picky 7year old who we usually have to threaten to eat. Not only did she fill her plate, but then went back for 2nds. And who can pass up ice cream for dessert.

1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I read the reviews but my significant other kept saying it was good.. And to my surprise he was wrong.. The food was nasty and place was horrible !! The rolls were hard and just looked nice and buttery to fool you.. I will never go back !!!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I just went to lunch at Columbia King Buffet, and we are both prepping for the first round of nearly debilitating stomach pains. First lets start with the atmosphere. Cold, dark and in need of a whole lot of TLC. The booths were broken, when sitting down the other end jumps into the air like a see-saw. And there were quite a few like that... they are visibly broken from miles away. The staff feel the need to congregate right next to guests and giggle and speak in their native tongue at such a high volume, I had to restrain myself from telling them to get the hell away from me.

The food! So the buffet had your standard run-of-the-mill Chinese/American options. Rice, some bland lo-mein, mashed potatoes, hotdogs, pizza, and a whole bunch of different chicken dishes slathered in different color sauces that tasted like anything BUT chicken. I really do find myself questioning what animal is roaming around my body right now. They had some fried mushrooms on the buffet that were deceiving. At first glance they looked crispy, but when I poked it with my fork at the table it was soggy, and tasted rotten. That half eaten mess ended up in my napkin. Somehow, no matter what was on your plate, everything smelled like fish... even though I don't go anywhere near fish in buffet restaurants. That's just asking for trouble.

We both had gotten to a point that we were dying to get out of there, so as soon as we got our check, we took it to the front counter to pay, and were asked the typical "How was everything?" My husband shocked me with his response... "It was the worst thing I've ever eaten." The girl at the counter continued to make excuses and defend this filthy disgusting restaurant. Never offered an apology for our terrible experience, just tried to counter his complaint with "People come in here every single day to eat, and they love our food."... as she avoided all eye contact and continued to swipe his credit card to charge us full price for this food not fit for a rabid animal.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone. It's disgusting, and I dread the state I am going to be in a few hours from now. Stay far away from Columbia King Buffet.

1  Thank Ashley G
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I think that for "dinner hours" pricing of $9.99/person starting at 4:30 pm there should be more premium dishes available. They charge $26 per person if you add AYCE crablegs. Never saw the crablegs out on the buffet, so they must be special order. No one ordered them that we saw.

Happily the sweet and sour sauce is actually a decent one, not red colored pancake syrup like you get from most buffets. Overall most dishes on the buffet were out too long, a lil dried out and tough. The did put out fresh fried chicken wings that were hot, but could have been cooked a lil crispier/done more to the center.

There were no outstanding "house specialty" type dishes. Everything offered here are typical americanized chinese buffet fares. Sweet and Sour chicken, teriyaki chicken (both styles: cut pieces and the "rat-on-a-stick" variety), pepperd chicken, brocoli beef, hot and sour soup, egg drop soup, crabless rangoons, egg rolls and spring rolls. Even more disappointing was their offers of straight up (and unseasoned) american food: yeast rolls, garlic toast, canned corn, french fries, and wait for it...... wait for it..... tatertots. *sigh*

Sushi was also offered. But I refuse to eat sushi off a buffet. It sits out too long for safe consumption... and its always the same "safe and basic" beginner's pieces like California Rolls and Philly Rolls. *shakes my head*

Even in the state's capitol, one more disappointing ethnic food experience. It would be so much nicer to use this beautiful building (obviously formerly a Steak & Ale) for upscale, menu orderd, house specialty dishes, and for pete's sake -- complimentary hot tea upon being seated... Asian Cuisine.