“Great staff...beds not so much.”

Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate
Ranked #47 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We needed a quick eldest so we could finish the other half of our trip. The late night staff was friendly and helpful. Cleanliness was as expected and the rates were affordable. My only complaint is the bed and pillows. The bed was hard, like brick hard. Also the pillows were like throw pillows on a couch. Fix this and I would stay again. Breakfast was great too.

• Stayed: June 2013
NC148, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise concerning our property during your recent stay with us.

Given the very nature of hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That’s why it’s truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say “THANK YOU”.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night’s stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it’s only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide. At the present time we are working on updating the hotel. Upon your next trip to our area, please stop in to see the changes we are making.

Again, let me thank you for your kind words. We’re committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Sherry Anders

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were traveling with two children, an 18 and a 3 month old. My mother and I went into the lobby to check us in while the mother and children waited outside in the rain. When we walked in, we were greeted by a really careless host who really didn't help up much at all. He said he couldn't find our reservation at first, then he said he finally found it but we were an hour early and we couldn't check in early because, and I say verbatim, 'All our rooms are dirty, yo, so you can't do early check in'.
Okay, we were fine with that, until my mother went to use the bathroom. While she used the lavatory, I went to check the cool pool area they advertise a lot. The door was open and I didn't need a key to get in. My niece is almost two. She's extremely smart, and once we show her where the pool is, she'll go there by herself if not supervised. She could easily have opened the door and gone in the pool with possible dire consequences. I couldn't believe it. I walked in, checked the pool temp. It was cold. I was told it would be heated. I couldn't take my niece in that. The pool area itself looked like it was about 30 years old. The stucco was crumbling off all over, especially the corners of the walls, the room was just dirty and unacceptable for what was advertised.

Then my mother comes out of the women's rest room. She was unable to use it due to blood and feces being all over the seat and floor. I suggest she use the men's room next door, but that wasn't much better. The restroom had urine on the floor, the paper towel dispenser was fallen off on the floor and so we just left.

The walls had large visible blotches of dirt and the lobby was just so less than welcoming. We cancelled immediately and went to the other Comfort Inn across town.

Do not go here if you care about child's safety, or even your own cleanliness. I can only imagine the rooms. ugh. I would not recommend anyone stay here at all. Spend a little more for your health and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get a room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Revoltnepres
Reviewed May 4, 2013

As usual the front desk personnel were helpful and delightful. The lobby is clean and inviting. Parking is inadequate near the front entrance and one is forced to trek around the building to get in. my room was clean and in good order. Now to the items that keep it from being a 4 or 5 rating.
1 Queen Bed, Accessible, Smoking
Mobility and Hearing Accessible, Accessible Tub, Smoking Room, Free High-Speed Wired Internet, Flat Screen TV
It is not hearing impaired friendly. That would entail a button or switch that would light something to capture the attention of a person that is deaf.
The Tub is not accessible. It is a regular tub that one must raise their leg high enough to get over the side. It should have an opening door or to take the cheap way out, a roll in shower.
The TV is not a flat screen model, It is a July 2001 Zenith assembled in Mexico. The only Flat Screens publicly available around that time cost $15,000. This model is as deep as it is wide and has no method of attaching a computer etc.
In summary, it does have a queen bed and a wide bathroom door. It also has the universal handicapped sign on the door. I would have never known of the deceitful practices, but they were virtually sold out when I made my reservation.
As a bonus, they give you a totally disconnected phone for the kids to play with.

Room Tip: Get checked in early.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The front desk manager (I think her name is Vera), had a [--] attitude. My bed was hard as a rock, so I got maybe 3 hours sleep. I asked her if they had a cushioned mattress pad, but she said they didn't. When I returned from touring the sites, I asked a different manager and she gave me a cushioned mattress pad that I put over the existing one. It made a significant difference, but the bed was still very firm. I questioned Vera in the morning why she told me there where no mattress pads when in fact I got one that evening. She told me there were none because they were all being washed. What a whopping lie. The note in the room stating guaranteed satisfaction might as well have been written on the back of a napkin. Besides this point of NO CUSTOMER SATSFACTION and NO FRONT DESK SUPPORT, I will additionally support why such a low rating, and question what the rest of my trip will look like as a Choice Hotel Armed Force Member. I am retired so my schedule is flexible. The bed was hard as a rock, the pool was closed and not usable due to lack of maintenance the continental breakfast would not even match Super 8, and the bathtub/shower is very narrow and slippery (even with the non-slip pad provided). The room was clean. By-pass this comfort Inn & suites. There attitude may be bad because they are close to an Army base and can give solders a less than great service and lodging because they don't complain for fear of reprisal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I called this hotel after a horrible situation somewhere else. This hotel was like a palace compared to the "other place" I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a place to stay for a visit to the army base for graduation. The staff was friendly & professional - the rooms were clean - the sheets were changed everyday - the coffee pot was clean and the fridge too was clean. The breakfast was ok because it was more than I would do at home on a day I have so much to do. There are restaurants close within a couple of miles each direction on the main street. I would stay again with-out a question.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband was scheduled to graduate from basic in December. Due to a scheduling conflict, they sent him to AIT (Advanced Training) a week before graduation. Myself, my parents, sister-in-law and 2 kids had all bought tickets to see the graduation. We made reservations at the Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate. Even with the change of orders form, they would not give us a refund for the rooms. Not even a voucher. Maybe if all soldiers families boycott this Comfort Inn, they will go out of business and learn to treat military families better.

If you know the military, nothing is ever set in stone. He has had 2 seperate change of orders since December and we have not had any problems with other hotels or airlines in getting reinbursements.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lauramm81
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our soldier was due to graduate from basic school in December 2012 but the Army pushed up his graduation a week. We had paid for 2 rooms in advance. We were notified about 2 weeks before the trip (6 of us including 2 babies) and we notified these anti military people and asked for a refund due to his order change and or inability to change our airline tickets. They said no. We sent letters and emails and got the bureaucratic response...No refunds.
We were out over $600.00. BTW my wife and I both retired from the US Navy and our son is on active duty with the Navy in the Middle East.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family