“For Customer Service - Look elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate

Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate
Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Columbia
Suffolk, VA
“For Customer Service - Look elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The front desk manager (I think her name is Vera), had a [--] attitude. My bed was hard as a rock, so I got maybe 3 hours sleep. I asked her if they had a cushioned mattress pad, but she said they didn't. When I returned from touring the sites, I asked a different manager and she gave me a cushioned mattress pad that I put over the existing one. It made a significant difference, but the bed was still very firm. I questioned Vera in the morning why she told me there where no mattress pads when in fact I got one that evening. She told me there were none because they were all being washed. What a whopping lie. The note in the room stating guaranteed satisfaction might as well have been written on the back of a napkin. Besides this point of NO CUSTOMER SATSFACTION and NO FRONT DESK SUPPORT, I will additionally support why such a low rating, and question what the rest of my trip will look like as a Choice Hotel Armed Force Member. I am retired so my schedule is flexible. The bed was hard as a rock, the pool was closed and not usable due to lack of maintenance the continental breakfast would not even match Super 8, and the bathtub/shower is very narrow and slippery (even with the non-slip pad provided). The room was clean. By-pass this comfort Inn & suites. There attitude may be bad because they are close to an Army base and can give solders a less than great service and lodging because they don't complain for fear of reprisal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I called this hotel after a horrible situation somewhere else. This hotel was like a palace compared to the "other place" I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a place to stay for a visit to the army base for graduation. The staff was friendly & professional - the rooms were clean - the sheets were changed everyday - the coffee pot was clean and the fridge too was clean. The breakfast was ok because it was more than I would do at home on a day I have so much to do. There are restaurants close within a couple of miles each direction on the main street. I would stay again with-out a question.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband was scheduled to graduate from basic in December. Due to a scheduling conflict, they sent him to AIT (Advanced Training) a week before graduation. Myself, my parents, sister-in-law and 2 kids had all bought tickets to see the graduation. We made reservations at the Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate. Even with the change of orders form, they would not give us a refund for the rooms. Not even a voucher. Maybe if all soldiers families boycott this Comfort Inn, they will go out of business and learn to treat military families better.

If you know the military, nothing is ever set in stone. He has had 2 seperate change of orders since December and we have not had any problems with other hotels or airlines in getting reinbursements.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lauramm81
Pembroke, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our soldier was due to graduate from basic school in December 2012 but the Army pushed up his graduation a week. We had paid for 2 rooms in advance. We were notified about 2 weeks before the trip (6 of us including 2 babies) and we notified these anti military people and asked for a refund due to his order change and or inability to change our airline tickets. They said no. We sent letters and emails and got the bureaucratic response...No refunds.
We were out over $600.00. BTW my wife and I both retired from the US Navy and our son is on active duty with the Navy in the Middle East.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank docatty
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Amy (daytime Front Desk Auditor) made the stay all the rage. I did not want to stay at first because I was put in a smoking room although my Priceline profile is nonsmoking. She showed me that Priceline DID NOT send over request. She gladly found me a room in their sold out hotel. Amy comes across a little aggressive but she is the sweetest person you can know.

It was kind of an older property and had a musky order. Other than that, the housekeeping department kept the property IMMACULATE. I travel 60-70% of my life and never have I stayed in a hotel that is kept this clean. My stay at a 5-star property before coming here paled in comparison when comparing cleanliness of the towels, bedding, floors, and furnishing in the room. I think the head housekeeper was Ms. Pearl. She wasn't very approachable but interestingly enough, Amy could get her to do anything to make the guests stay better.

I will stay at this hotel again. Not because it's better than the other properties around it but because of AMY. She helped me weeks before my actual trip. She took time to help me calculate the difference between renting a car versus taking a taxi. Her insight into that fact alone saved me $150 on my overall trip. The breakfast is very good. The host for the breakfast, sorry I can't recall her name, was the most pleasant morning person; only 2nd to me. Her "Hello, good morning, help yourself..." were effortless. The property is literally off exit #9, only a brief 5 minutes’ drive from the front gate of Fort Jackson. By the way, there's a Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart, and (my favorite) Dollar Tree off exit #12 (front gate exit for Fort Jackson). There are many places to eat within 5-10 minutes’ drive, depending on your taste buds. When in doubt, just ask Amy or anyone at the front desk. They are very knowledgeable about the area. Have fun!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Saint Joseph, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

If we were living in a bygone world where the internet weren't so important, this would have been the perfect place to stay -- good rooms, nice beds, agreeable staff . . . . but (and this is a disturbing trend I've run into lately), when I went to the front desk to report that I couldn't access the internet in my room, they simply gave me the 800-number of their "tech support" office, who would, ostensibly, "walk me through" connecting with the internet. This, of course, makes me think that THEY think that I'm some doofus who just bought a computer from a corner vendor before walking in their door. But, there was no option with them, so I humored them and called the number . . . . waited for the "next available representative", and when he answered, was promptly disconnected. So, I spent the rest of the evening, either sitting in the local McDonalds or in the motel lobby, where I could get a signal.

Having traveled for many years, and having stayed in probably hundreds of motels, I'm fairly sure that their problems could have been solved by a simple re-boot . . . . which they were unwilling to do. In the end, I don't like to have service "outsourced", when it should be handled locally by people who should care about their customers' satisfactory experience.

Room Tip: If you do the internet, ask to try it in the room before you complete your move-in . . . . there see...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Hotel is nice / average! The beds / pillows were very comfortable. The rooms were clean. No complains! Bathroom needs little cosmetic work with tiles ! We had a problem the first night with the toilet, but it was fixed ASAP, after reporting it! Staff is very friendly and were nice at all times, especially the Breakfast Hostess deserves a compliment for her friendliness, keep the Area nice & clean, and provide the Breakfast great Job she does! The Breakfast was nice, a varierty for everybody something! I would recommend this Hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs near the Breakfast Area and Pool, it was quited!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends