“Back for the Annual Visit”

Ramada Limited Columbia
Ranked #41 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Richmond, VA
“Back for the Annual Visit”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is my fourth review of this property, so this one is just an update. For more detail (and photos), see my previous reviews (2007, 2011 and 2012).

I usually stay at this hotel for one or two nights a year, while attending a Gamecocks football game. The stadium is an easy 15-min drive away (longer, with game day traffic), and conveniently located on a highway exit.

The best things about this hotel are the friendly staff (it's family-owned & operated) and the cheap price ($59 night, including tax & fees).

This time we were assigned a ground floor room. It had nice, new carpeting, and the room smelled like new carpet (not pleasant, but tolerable). The manager told us we were the first ones to stay in the room since the carpet was installed. During our one-night stay (Aug 29), we noticed rooms next door to ours had mattresses in the hallway, so I assume they were having new carpet installed as well.

The room, bathroom and loveseat were adequate and served our needs. Nothing fancy, but I was pleased they still have upgraded soaps from San Francisco in the bathroom (smell citrusy), and I like the newer, versatile showerheads too.

The mattress we slept had a bit of a musty odor... perhaps related to the recent carpet installation. I'm a belly sleeper so whenever my head slipped off the pillow I would be awakened by a musty odor coming through the fitted sheet. It wasn't noticeable otherwise.

The morning breakfast was disappointing. I tried a few of the small donuts and all tasted a bit stale and were a bit tough to chew.

The coffee was also quite weak... like light-brown water... you could almost read a newspaper through it. I mentioned this in previous reviews so I was a bit surprised the management hasn't made any adjustments to the strength of the coffee. Even one additional scoop would make a big difference. Coffee shops don't serve weak coffee, so why do hotels?

Next time I come to town for a football game, I probably will stay here again because the price and convenient location are the most important considerations, outside of getting a good night's sleep ... and not getting grossed out too badly. I appreciate the friendly staff as well. Maybe I'll bring my own coffee.

Room Tip: I've stayed on both floors and prefer the first floor, only because I don't have to haul my...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay P, Manager at Ramada Limited Columbia, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Virginian01,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Ramada Limited in Columbia South Carolina. We are happy to have you as our loyal guest and glad that we could provide you with a quite, clean and comfortable room. We are constantly improving the guest stay by updating our rooms. We have just recently finished our carpet installation to better the customer experience. We do strive to provide a well stocked and fresh deluxe continental breakfast. The coffee we use is Folgers and it comes pre-packaged with filters, we have no way to make it stronger/weaker. Thank you again for taking the time to review the Ramada Limited in Columbia South Carolina.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2013

normally don't write the reviews but was very satisfied so decided to write. clean and quite room. internet worked fine. the young owners seems to care. could not make it to breakfast so can't comment on that

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay P, Manager at Ramada Limited Columbia, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear David B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ramada Limited in Columbia South Carolina. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Ramada Limited. We do provide free wireless internet in all rooms. We also provide a free deluxe continental breakfast where you can make your own Fresh Belgian Waffles. We hope you will get a chance to enjoy the breakfast the next time you are in the area. Thank you again for writing a review of the Ramada Limited in Columbia South Carolina.
Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in dire need of updating and remodeling. Carpet dirty and shower wall patched non-professionally. Outdoor pool empty with lots of growing weeds. Price cheap and you get exactly that. If at all possible select a hotel further down the road.

• Stayed August 2013
Jay P, Manager at Ramada Limited Columbia, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Illinois Travelgirl

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ramada Limited in Columbia, South Carolina. We value your feedback. The Ramada Limited in Columbia, South Carolina was renovated just last year. The outdoor pool is fully functional for the summer months. We strive to make all our guest rooms clean and comfortable. We do hope you give our hotel another chance when you come down from Illinois. Thank you again for the review.