“Would stay again”

Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson
Ranked #58 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“Would stay again”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located off interstate. Has shopping center, fast food restaurants , and Walmart all in the same location. It was a bit difficult to find because it is behind the shopping center. Check in was very fast. Has elevators. Rooms were decent but a bit outdated. Clean for the most part. Can't complain about the cleanliness. Kitchen was equipped with everything I needed to make a meal. That was a huge plus. Overall I would stay again if I had to. Was traveling alone with my daughter and did feel a little unsafe because I had a room that faced the highway that was on the opposite side of the office it is a very big building.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Brittney W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our location, your clean room and your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I apologize that you found your room to be a bit outdated. Your comments will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
West Dennis, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is one of the best places I stay. The price was excellent. I highly recommend it. Staff was friendly pleasant and very helpful. Located near everything you would need, ad Fort Jackson was right across the highway.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Joe - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the service our staff provided and our hotel's location. We hope to see you again soon.
Marshall, Michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Making a reservation at Extended Stay online or at this location apparently doesn't matter. I have stay at this location 7 times in the past 20 months for the US Army. Every time I've made a reservation and arrived there is a problem. This last stay, I booked online 4 1/2 months out from my stay. I arrived to a very rude clerk telling me the problem is I keep requesting a king room. (I am 6'6") Finally an explanation. The online site does not stay updated to this locations vacancies. The (acting) manager explained that my reservation for a King bed could not be honored because they only have 3 king rooms. All others are being converted to queens or 2 full beds because of "more corporate customers request them" If this is so, why are the kings always taken? Also since I booked so far out they would not move the guest(s) out of my RESERVED room if they had to extend their stay. My contact with guest relations and the District manager wasn't helpful either. I was told when a king room became available, I would be moved. I am 3 weeks into a 4 weeks stay and have not been offered another room. Oh if you need laundry services, google a Laundromat in the area. This location has been saying "any day" the part will be in so it can be opened to guests. A friendly clerk (from another location) was nice enough to tell me, the last manager lost the key to empty change from the machines. ( No locksmith in Columbia I guess).
This place might be ok for short Ft Jackson graduation stays but not much more.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an odd number room. Even numbers is an excellent view of I-77 but you don'...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank David D
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
David - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the booking and maintenance issues that you have experienced during your stay with us. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our maintenance policies and reservations policy to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback is very important to us. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, cfj@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We came for a graduation at Ft. Jackson. As far as location, excellent, right across the road from the base. In appearance it looks good, however it was far from clean. The outside of the fridge, the counters and table were grimy. The table was polished and shiny over filth. We took hot soapy water on a cleaning cloth and scrubbed the filth off. There were hairs left in the tub and even on the kitchen counter from previous guests. The fridge had yellow grease running down the front and sides. Only one window opened far enough for fresh air, but the screen was missing. The other window with a screen only opened about 6 inches. The carpet and flooring looked newer, and the room was painted smoky yellow, my guess is the color was to conceal the smoke stains which was very apparent on the cabinets and fridge. The bed was comfortable, but we put our own linens on for safety. If you stay here make sure to ask for toilet paper and any extra linens once you have checked the room. Our room had a small portion of toilet paper left on the roll with no extras to replace it. They provide dishes but no dish soap or dish rags. And the dishes and glasses needed to be washed before we used them. This is a pet friendly, smoking allowed hotel and it shows. Don't get me wrong, I have pets and I smoke, but extra cleaning is necessary for both instances, and I don't believe there is any reason to smoke inside. NEVER AGAIN will I stay at an Extended Stay.

Room Tip: Read all the "Reviews"
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellen N
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The cleanliness issues you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am retraining the housekeeper who cleaned your room. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I loved how close the hotel is from base since I went to BCT graduation. The staff was friendly. The only thing I had problems is that the bathroom tub was clogged. The room was clean and I liked that it had a small kitchen, bed was comfortable. Also, they didn't have extra sanitary items in the room; you have to ask for them. So make sure your room has the items and that everything works ;). For a short stay, it was fine for me. I didn't visit the breakfast but my mom did, it is what is says it is, a grab and go, so not many choices but there is a nice breakfast place a mile away, kind off a strip mall, taking a left at the exit from the plaza.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has the items and that everything works ;). For a short stay, it was fine for me...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Meybelina P
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We moved down to Columbia for work and are staying in a hotel until we find something. We have been staying here since Nov 29th. Our stay has been very nice. The new manager is excellent and will do anything for you to make your stay as enjoyable as it can be. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I gave it a 1 because for starters when we made our reservations we asked for a queen bed, when we got there only room left was two twin beds. I heard the reason from my sons friend that the reason a toilet did not stop running and destroyed two rooms, including his. When we got to the room it looked nice at first. My wife pulled back the covers and pillows and noticed black specks. I told her it looked like plastic. when she went into the bathroom, I pulled back my pillow. In between my pillow I found where a mouse was nesting! I didn't tell my wife because she would freak out!! Only room left at the hotel and area due to not only our sons graduation from recruiting school but graduation from boot camp at from FT. Jackson. I told the office staff in the morning, they were very apologetic but did not offer any refund

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chuck G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Chuck - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the level of cleanliness in your room is very disappointing. We are very sorry for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am working with my staff to deep clean your room and improve our cleaning procedures overall.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cfj2@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.