“A decent hotel”

Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Providence, Rhode Island
“A decent hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend get away. The hotel's staff is one of the reasons I marked the hotel as a good hotel. They are a delight! The hotel itself is OK. You can tell it is an older hotel including the room decor. Our mattress was a bit lumpy and the AC is a window unit versus central air which made it difficult to regulate the temperature. The locations great including a mall, every restaurant you could imagine and a movie theater. If you are looking for a quick visit and inexpensive then this hotel should be fine. I would not recommend for long stays.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonbell F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to complete a review. We are getting ready to complete a room renovation, and hope you all can come stay with us again so you can see the changes.

With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Location is convenient to all the shopping, and the desk clerk was nice. However, the room was damp and had a musty yet slightly sweet smell. We thought it was a weird smell, but we were so tired that we put it aside. We had a terribly restless night, so we were up early and as I woke up, I found a bug on my pillow. We quickly grabbed one of those plastic bags you put ice in, and grabbed up the bug. When I got home, I called a professional exterminator and took the bug to him to identify it. He said it was definitely an adult bed bug and that I should call the hotel manager to alert him. In addition, we had to wrap our bags and clothes in plastic, wash everything in extremely hot water, get the car professionally cleaned, vacuum everything like there's no tomorrow, and we've been nervously watching for signs of other bugs. The exterminator said that there must be a bad infestation to find a bug crawling on a pillow after daylight, and that sweet musty/mildew like smell is a smell that comes from infestation. Needless to say, I called to tell the manager, but I called repeatedly over the course of a week. I talked to an assistant manager, but the manager wouldn't return my calls. Finally he left a message on my phone saying that they don't have any bed bugs at his hotel and we must have picked the bug up somewhere else.

After no satisfaction from the hotel management, I called Columbia DHEC, and they said they don't check hotels for cleanliness or bed bugs. In fact, no one monitors hotels! You stay at your own risk, and no agency checks up on them. I can understand that hotels may occasionally have to deal with a few bed bugs, but if a hotel gets an infestation, which takes time to develop, then they are not taking responsibility or precautions for routinely and frequently inspecting and cleaning. This has been a nightmare, and the manager's arrogant attitude certainly hasn't made it any better. Obviously, we will never stay there again, and I will be extremely careful to check under the mattress and box spring and behind the headboard from now on.

1 Thank gbb2013
Jonbell F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I arrived early on a Monday morning to find an email from a guest stating they had stayed in our hotel, and they had captured a bed bug before checking out of the hotel. They stated they had it professionally inspected when they arrived back in Greenville that night. I attempted to call the number provided in the voicemail, but the number was no longer in service. We called in exterminators to check the room they said they were in, and nothing was found We also incurred the high cost of the inspection as well as treatment of the room, just in case this guest was carrying the bugs with them.
The room number provided was not registered to the person leaving the voicemail, nor could I find where they were ever registered in our hotel. After several day's, I recieved another voicemail from this person, and they then provided another number. They were looking for compensation. I called several times hoping to speak to someone in person, as I was still curious about the name they were actually registered under. I left the person detailed information about our service's findings, as well as how to contact our corporate office if they should have any additional needs.I never heard anything else. I requested Trip Advisor to remove this post when I discovered it, as this person was not a registered guest, unfortunately they declined, stating they used proper protocol filing the complaint.
We strive as a Marriott hotel to meet and even exceed our guest expectations, and take these allegations very seriously. These bugs are in airports,(luggage handling) taxi's, car rentals etc. I advise anyone who may suspect they have stayed in a room with insects, to make the hotel aware immediately, It's to no ones advantage not to do so..
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel charges $20.00 on top of your room charge for "insidentals" when you check in even if you never purchase any insidentals. You have to call back to the hotel and complain go get a refund in the "next few days". What a RIP OFF. Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: This hotel charges $20.00 on top of your room charge for "insidentals" when you check in e...
1 Thank Bud R
I would like to say how sorry I am that you experienced issues, unfortunately, this happens all too often. We have never charged anyone additional monies for the incidental authorization. This occurs automatically when checking into a hotel, or when buying gas. It's never the hotel that is holding money, it is in fact your financial institution. This can be especially time consuming in correcting in cases where persons use their Debit cards for such transactions.
We have detailed information about authorizations at the desk, and make a point to go over those in detail when someone uses debit cards. We always gladly provide release forms to any guest that can not wait for their banks to release the hold.
Again I am sorry for your experience, if there's anything I can do to make up for your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stopped here on our way to Savannah, Georgia. The location is great, next to Mcallisters deli, Five guys and several others-all within walk g distance. Hotel is clean and desk clerk was very nice. The mall is right behind hotel which is nice. Highly recommend this hotel, great value and great stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We really appreciate your feedback, please come see us again soon.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Our recent visit to Columbia, SC was a happy one and our stay at the Fairfield Inn/Harbison was a very nice experience! No matter which member of the staff you came in contact with, they were all very polite, freindly and helpful! A great feeling for travelers! I especially want to mention Caroline who went above and beyond with her warm and friendly manner. Situated close to interstate, restaurants within walking distance and malls, the perfect place to stay if you're visiting in Columbia.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor. Room had two comfortable queen beds.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely let Caroline know you appreciated her. We are very lucky to have her with us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Staff was very friendly at check in, especially at 11:30pm. Room was very clean. Breakfast was okay. The Belgiam waffles, make your own, tasted very strange, but the other selections were fine. If you want a seat, get there early, as the breakfast room is small. Overall nice experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, We appreciate your taking the time to complete a review. We are getting ready to do a complete rooms renovation, hope you all can come back and see us agin soon.

Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The staff in the hotel is very nice. The rooms are clean and location is excellent next to the columbiana mall. The breakfast is complementary and good.

Location is excellent next to the columbiana mall and several restaurant nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Toine M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
TownePlace Suites Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Holiday Inn Express Columbia I-26 at Harbison Boulevard
Comfort Suites at Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
#29 of 94 in Columbia
Residence Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison

Been to Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison? Share your experiences!