Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Ranked #39 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Cincinnati, Ohio
“OK hotel”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed here with the family on the way to Hilton Head for one night. The location is pretty ideal - less than 1 mile off of the interstate but within walking distance to a mall and many restaurants. The staff was nice. The room had its pluses and minuses - while the space was pretty big for a room at a Fairfield, the bed was a little too soft for my liking. A nice flatscreen TV and free internet made the room nice. All in all, good for the value, especially for vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2011

In the process of a relocation for my job, I stayed at this hotel for just over three weeks. Where do I begin? Upon arrival I could tell the room had not been cleaned in some time as there was a clear and visible layer of dust on everything and the location at the end of the hall next to storage was just creepy. The bathroom had visible signs of surfaces being cleaned with a dirty rag/sponge/ etc. complemented by short & curlys on the floor. Trying to make the best of it I purchased a few cleaning supplies and took care of it on my own. Relocating I had many personal items in my room. First week in, came back on Friday after work and my room door was left wide open by the maid staff. Luckily nothing was missing however, the sheets were not changed, the sink and mirror were not cleaned, the floor was not vacuumed. I complained and this was remedied by a late in the day swab up by the maid staff and bonus points on my rewards card. I was later told by the GM that the maid was reprimanded and the supervisor fired as this was not the first occurrence of problems. I inquired and was told sheets were changed every three days for stay overs. I waited a week before I let them in to clean my room again as I was quite nervous about leaving my things up for grabs. They left clean towels, took the trash and made the bed; that was it. They did not change the sheets (I have a system, I know!), the mirror and sink were once again not cleaned, tub not cleaned, well you get the picture. I went to the front desk and got fresh linens and changed them myself. Keep in mind, this room is being PAID for, its not a comp so I would have to assume that all amenities apply. Week three same thing. As far as the front desk, aside from the assistant manager, the day shift is run by a gaggle of snotty, immature, just out of HS girls who act like this place is their own little girls club and the guests come second. Ask for an HBO schedule and the snide answer is "its in your room!" Well, April was but not May? Ask about a newspaper and its a bother! Another interface, I stood at the desk while the girl behind sat on a stool texting away and then casually looks up, oh sorry, didn't see you, hee hee. Horrible!! The cable or satellite does not function so if you are on an extended stay, this is not the place. LG would be wise to not sell TV's to Marriott as they are not a good advertiser. I would never buy an LG after seeing the pics on the ones at this hotel. The internet at this place is garbage. Problems with WiFi and direct connection ongoing with little to no assistance from staff or the 800 number. If you need internet access for business, this is not the place for you. At one point in this nightmare I ran into the GM on my floor. Trust me, he is the only one at this hotel who is working hard; he was actually cleaning rooms!! Asked me over and over if I wanted him to clean mine but at this point I just declined. He was very nice and very helpful and I have to say it seems he is the only one at this hotel working hard to get things under control and serve the guests but believe me, he has his hands full. My advice to you Mr. GM is to literally clean house. Replace your front desk and maid staff with mature people who truly understand how lucky they are to have a job and truly understand the meaning of customer service. By the end of my stay I was totally creeped out by this place and ended up taking an apartment I didn't really want just to get out of there. To Marriott Corporate, this place is spiraling downward, your GM needs help. I found out my company just contracted again with Marriott for special rates, but if they ask me about this place I will say, take it off the list. It is unacceptable.

Room Tip: I stayed May 2011, give this place a year then try
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Nice, standard Marriott. Clean, good locale. I recommend for a brief stay when passing through town.

• Stayed May 2011
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Booked with Marriott. com. Location is very convenient, easy to get in/out. Clean rooms, has a MW and a fridge. I used this one for an overnight stay while travelling to Florida with my wife and two kids (girls 9, 11). B-fast has a very wide selection of eggs, yogurts, fruits, pastry.
Shopping nearby, grocery and other stuff.
Would definitely consider next time I travel in this area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Adjuntas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Stayed here for three nights for business in a king bed room. The room itself is not too big; it has a desk, fridge and a small microwave. The hotel is at walking distance of the mall and there are a couple of restaurant options around the area, also the staff was courteous. There is free -basic- breakfast and free wi-fi. I’ve stayed at a couple of Marriott’s recently (yes this is a Marriott business) and so far they all have this basic breakfast where the only “hot” options are frozen biscuits that you can reheat in the microwave. But well at least there are also other regular items like cereal, bagels and yoghurt. I didn’t pay for this room but the suggested price that was in the room says that is $200 a night. Honestly I wouldn’t pay that amount for a simple room like this, not that there was something bad, it’s just that I think you can get perhaps the same for less.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
East Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed here on Friday September 18th for one night and was very happy. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were awesome. We didn't even have to use our regular pillows that we brought with us. The room was spotless and very comfortable. I picked this hotel from tripadvisor and was very pleased. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. The free continental breakfast had a variety of things to eat. My husband had a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit while I had cereal and a muffin. We definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisadental
uk
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Stayed overnight with family in twin queen bed room whilkst travelling from Charlotte to Hilton Head.

Good Value, no frills, clean, comfortable beds, air con, tv, breakfast included.

Would stay again for convenience and cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
TownePlace Suites Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Holiday Inn Express Columbia I-26 at Harbison Boulevard
Comfort Suites at Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
#29 of 94 in Columbia
Residence Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison

Been to Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison? Share your experiences!