“Rate Change Mid Stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Atlanta
“Rate Change Mid Stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

We were a family coming for the funeral of a close family member. Location was the key. All be aware....the train tracks are right next to this hotel and trains do come through in the middle of the night.
I booked two rooms, for 3 nights, at a rate of $75.20. The advantage on the website was supposed to be a discount for a 2 or more night stay. No mention of rate change on this site. When we received our "under the door" bill, yesterday. There had been a rate change. Third night of stay was $83.20, which was a surprise to me! I had also booked one room for one night only. I tried to do (add the additional one night room) on line but was "thrown out" of the system, repeatedly. Seems as soon as you attempt to apply or request any other discounts (AAA, AARP) you are gone! When I called and spoke to a reservation clerk, she also had trouble trying to even secure a "Super Saver" discount. It was at least a 15 minute process to get this single room booked.
When I questioned the desk clerk, at the hotel before check out, about the rate change, she also had trouble accessing the information. She finally said it was "across the board" change. I told her, due to this, I would never stay at another Wingate and her reply was, "That's OK". Beware to others! There are LOTS of hotels on Two Notch Road...not all next to railroad tracks!!!
Rooms were OK and seemed clean. They are not all "uniform" though. One King room had a couch and the other two only had a chair and ottoman. Room on the third floor did not have a thermosat for AC/heat....just levels of running fan, which was noisy.
Breakfast is just OK. Belgium waffle maker is the hit. First morning, Monday (3/19) there was no cereal or yogurt. It did appear for the next two mornings.

Room Tip: Second floor or below. Third floor room had no "thermostat" only levels of running fan...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Walla Walla, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

You can't beat Wyndham for their comfortable beds. The room was nice, with a microwave and refrigerator. The computer room was convenient for printing boarding passes. We went out and bought a plug for the bathtub because none of the rooms have a way to take a bath since they don't provide a stopper. There is a nice rainwater-type shower. The fitness room has a treadmill and bicycle. But the seat on the bicycle was broken, so not adjustable and therefore I was unable to use it. There was no remote for the TV in the exercise room and it was too warm. Hand towels were not stocked there either. But all in all we were happy. It was quiet enough to get a good night sleep. It is close to Fort Jackson and freeways. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Yuma, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is a good hotel for the proximity to Ft. Jackson. It's really just missing some detail work. It looks like it's been refurbished recently but done so quickly. Thus some details are done poorly.

The good:
- The hotel was clean. We had no issues with a dirty room or any unwanted rodents. We were on the fourth floor though.

- The breakfast was good. Plenty of bagels, toast, cereal, eggs, sausage, and beverages. I'm not a big breakfast person but it was good for most hotels i've been in.

- The staff was friendly and asked any questions I had. Also, the rooms were very quiet which is a huge plus!

- Very close to the Fort, and the freeway so no issues with getting lost.

The bad:

- The room smelled of smoke (i requested a smokefree room, but we flew in obscenely late). I don't think that it's from that room but the room beneath it. I was not very angry because we arrived very late and didn't have many options. I know that if I did have an issue I think the staff would have changed it. Not an issue to me but I know it can be for others.

- The lower floor smelled musty, but this is likely due to having an indoor spa. Which from my quick glance looked clean, old but clean.

- As I mentioned, the revamp details were bad. Some paint was peeling (in the restroom), the bed backboards had trim that was peeling, and some spot rust was on the towel rack. Easily remedied if there was a way to control the vent in the restroom.

Overall, it's a hotel I would go to again if I had too. Especially at the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dalex916
Friendswood, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Checked into my King Room to find the room has a Tube television. No, not even a older flat screen tv. I was very disappointed. Could not find a list of channels available to surf and due to that, can not tell you what the selection was, because I had no idea what I was watching.

Here is my biggest complaint- their "high speed" internet completely sucks! I ran speed tests on them for 3 days and I was getting .58mb download speed and .10mb upload speed! My cell phone is faster! Due to the incapable speed of the internet, loading photos online was pretty much out of the question.

Yes, they have a hot tub- make sure you bring goggles with you- because there is so much chlorine that if you have the ability to actually stay in the room without being blinded from the acid in your eyes it will be a miracle.

No for the worst part- in the middle of the night I felt something crawling on me- I got up and looked and could not find anything. Upon closer inspection I found what I believe was feces from bed bugs on the bottom sheet. I looked online for what bed bugs would leave etc and I believe the place is infested. The bed bug incident happened on my last night there.

Also, there is a Union Pacific Railroad track literally backed up against this hotel- when a train comes by, the entire place shakes.

This hotel is not worth your money. I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it to a friend. Place pretty much completely blows.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank porquepine
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have yet to have a bad stay at a Wingate. Moderate priced, upscale hotel. Well decorated, has micro/fridge and Wolfgang Puck in room coffee, wireless worked fine, and was free. Solid surface countertops were nice. Beds were good, pillows were disappointing. The hotel was quiet and clean. Decent work desk with good chair. This is a good property which i would stay at again in the future. I give it a 90/100 for the property and 98/100 for value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YepBeenThere
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Need I say more? Broken Fridge, Broken Microwave. My daughter woke me at 1 am to find them crawling on the ceiling. Complained to the staff and their answer was they don't BITE?????? STAY AWAY!!!!

Room Tip: Can't say anything good here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

BUGS in room!! Huge fast-moving roaches!! We bagged everything and brought back our food back into the car. TheY said it was the bugs indigenous to the south, but really? We have been on road trip for two weeks in four different hotels and never encountered them!
Then in the morning there were three roaches -2 inches long that came out under the covers where our baby was sleeping!

Other comments- Arriving at Wyndham after driving from Orlando with two kids and husband- we were tired and exhausted and did not receive a welcome reception from the night receptionist. The outdoor pool was freezing and the 1970s style rug and ancient fridge and microwave was a surprise for a hotel that is part of Wyndham chains. Hair on our duvet - was it even cleaned? I couldn't sleep because I kept hearing all the busy people in the hall through the thin door. At 6:00 am after 4 hrs I couldn't take it any longer. The "free" breakfast was terrible- if you like to microwave oatmeal and have some cheap scones and water down coffee and juice.

This is no where near a "luxury" hotel as some reviewers have noted. I would rate it as two star. Positive note is that the day staff were very friendly and there are no bed bugs. Fitness room had a treadmill, elliptical, and a bike, but no towels or sanitizer.

There are many other hotels in the area- never again for us... Ruined our drive home.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family