“Differences of opinion.”

Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“Differences of opinion.”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Let me start by saying this hotel is easy to get to, though GPS helps, and it is clean and attractive in a fairly standard Hampton way. Staff was pleasant and got us checked in quickly. The room was clean and very quiet, and all amenities were clean and working properly.
My wife and I had a difference of opinion on my two fairly minor complaints, which she said were nothing. You can judge if they would bother you. First, upon checkout, the two women at the desk were carrying on fairly animated, loud conversations with male guests loitering at the desk. The conversations continued as we checked in, distracting both the desk clerks and me. As a former hotel employee, I believe that the guest(s) with whom you are conducting business should be your sole focus. Everything else should cease until you are finished. My second issue was that, upon returning to the hotel later in the evening, all I wanted was a cup of tea. There was no hot water urn and, after waiting 15 minutes, I gave up. The lack of a back-up switch out and assure little or no wait is just poor planning, resulting in poor service. My wife said I was too critical, however; she noted that her earlier tea water from the lobby urn tasted of coffee. She can't stand coffee, so that was inexcusable to her.
As I said, our issues were minor and may not bother others, but I also know I am not the pickiest traveler out there. Overall our experience was very good.
To return to a high point in closing, I stupidly left a couple of good shirts in the closet, and didn't realize it until we were all the way up to Maryland. My wife called and spoke to Laura, who very nicely located the shirts and arranged to mail them to me, tacking the postage onto our credit card charge. She must have handled it immediately since I got the shirts in good condition one business day afterward. Many thanks.
BTW, this property is close to a number of dining choices, as well as the plethora of shopping centers along Harbison. This will be a top choice for future visits to Columbia.

Room Tip: Even rooms near ice and vending are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MellisaAyer, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear HowlnBubba,

We are grateful you took a moment to share your experience with us and all of our viewers. We like to know about all guest experiences, no matter how particular they may be. It takes all suggestions to keep us at the top, as our property is always a high ranking award winning hotel within the Hampton brand. We are glad to hear the accommodations and overall service et your needs. We do encourage our staff to be playful and always remind them no matter what, they are always on stage. We have already shared your observations and experience with the team as an opportunity to learn. We do hope you will plan to return again soon.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had 4 families staying one night, on a Friday evening, when traveling from TN before we headed to the beach the next day. We booked 4 rooms and when we arrived we found an absolutely unique hotel tucked in against a lake, with a park-like setting. The outdoor area had a wonderful medium sized pool tucked in against an outdoor grilling/living room type area, replete with outdoor fireplace and big screen TV under a cabana-like area with great couches and chairs. A great family setting and very close to things like the mall and Greenwoods discount wine, but in a nicely quieted setting due to the large number of trees that line the roads.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear auklazer,

We couldn't have described our hotel any better ourselves-thank you for your kind review. Many times our guest are surprised to find our quiet little hotel to be such a retreat in the middle of such a busy exit. It really is all you need. You should see the lake in the fall! Please know you're welcome back anytime!

Safe travels,

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Just what you would expect from a Hampton Inn. Warm welcome, friendly staff, comfortable rooms and breakfast. Hotel was recently updated and done well. Loved the pool and outdoor seating area. Only complaint I have, and it may just be me, but the eggs were eh!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear dlaw10263,

Thank you for your outstanding review. It is always so delightful to hear about our guest experiences and to learn we continue to impress upon our guest. It means a lot of our staff for your time in posting a review to share with our future travelers. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards,

Gaffney
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here as I was at a training for work and they offered state employee discount. The stay was amazing! The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. I don't think I had an updated room but it was still very nice. The location was close to everything and had easy access on and off 1-26. I would definitely return for business or pleasure!

• Stayed May 2014
Hello jordannat,

We are very grateful you had the opportunity to stay with us while on government training business while in Columbia, SC. Our staff strives each day to make our guest feel welcomed and cared for, it’s awesome you had a chance to see us at our best. All of our guest rooms have been fully refurbished as of May 2014-from ceiling to floor, with the exception of our bathrooms. Everyone has been very pleased with the new modern appearance. If there is something your room was missing we would like to hear the suggestion as to how we could have made the room more accommodating. We do hope to welcome you back again soon!

Coastal NC
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the night so we could attend the Bruno Mars concert. The hotel was clean and quiet. The carpet was a bit interesting in design but it looked newer and clean. We stayed in a king room on the 6th floor, our room and bathroom were a great size. We used points for our night and were treated well. There are several restaurants and a mall nearby.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AnnaP,

We hope you had fun at Bruno Mars!!! Our hotel is just 8 miles to the city center, not a bad drive at all if attending a concert or event downtown. So glad you had the opportunity to experience one of our newly refurbished rooms!! We greatly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review.

Jacksonville, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful! They helped to change our reservation when we arrived so that we could have two adjoining rooms. Clean hotel and beautiful location. Really liked the jogging path around the lake. Would definitly stay at this Hampton Inn again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Concord, NC, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2014

If you need a "home away from home" on business in Columbia, SC, the Hampton Inn at Harbison is the only place I will stay. The staff are friendly and will go above and beyond to be sure your stay is a pleasant one. The rooms are clean and fresh smelling...making it easy to snuggle down in the clean sheets and comforter. Be prepared to be pampered! Enjoy

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Patty M,

We are so delighted you had the opportunity to visit our property and stay while in town!! We love being "home away from home" and look forward to welcoming our regulars everyday-hope you become a regular soon!! I will be sure to share your positive review with our staff and management team.