“Great hotel experience!”

Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Illinois
“Great hotel experience!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel only one night and I wish we could have stayed longer! When we checked in we were told we were "guests of the day" and were upgraded to a suite at no additonal charge. The woman who was working at the desk could not have been kinder or more welcoming. The suite was lovely! Everything was immaculate. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mellisa A, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hello mainelover99,

We wish you could have stayed longer too! But don't worry, we've been here for 16 years and don't plan on going anywhere; so we will be here when you get back! If you need an excuse to come back Columbia has tons of fun activities to offer from private sailing lessons on the lake, dinner cruises, award winning Zoo's and museums, tubing down the rivers and several state parks. Not to mention shopping and eating good too!

We appreciate you taking the time to stop in and stay and for your kind review. Our crew works hard here to keep things above top notch- rather being a friend in town to a housekeeper! We hope you can find the excuse to come back again soon!

Best wishes on your travels,

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We checked into a wonderful lakeview room on the 4th floor of this hotel and were surprised to find the amenities were on par with some of the finest hotels in which we have ever stayed. There was a beautiful view of the little lake, which had a walking path around it. There was a full bar area with fridge, separate sink, microwave, and good coffee and tea. Beside it was a large dining room table. The living area was large with 4 chairs and a big window overlooking the lake. I spent most of my time there with a book and a glass of wine. The separate bedroom was large and had an adjoining bath and spa tub. The hotel was nice and quiet and the breakfast was good. The only small thing missing was a microwave in the dining area for those who wanted to heat up their muffins.

We dragged ourselves away to walk around the lake, eat barbeque and take a tour, but honestly, I would have been almost as happy to stay in the room and relax.

Room Tip: I would recommend a lake view on the 4th floor even though you have to pay extra to guarantee it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bedandbreakfastfan,

So glad to hear you had the opportunity to experience one of our King Master suites, by far the best view in the hotel! The bay window with fainting sofa is one of my favorite places in the room as well! That suite is fantastic, it is like an apartment almost and very much worth the $30 up-charge!!!

I'm not sure if you asked the breakfast hostess about the microwave, but we do have one, it is just located behind the front desk. When we remodeled the lobby/breakfast area we lost our designated spot-but we do have one. We welcome you back anytime-hopefully soon!

Safe travels,

Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After driving ten hours this hotel was a welcome oasis on our journey back home. Check in was fast, the room was well appointed and spotless. After unwinding from the drive I took the dog for a walk around the lake at the rear of the hotel. There is a paved walkway that that circles the lake which is home to several species of aquatic bird. It took about 20 minutes to walk the full circle and return to the hotel. We chose this hotel via the internet because of its pet policy. It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. We will probably stay there again next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 70JimH,

First, I would like to thank you for mentioning you chose us for our Pet Policy. We know families who love their pets often have to sacrifice in their own accommodations to keep their pets with them. Not here, not with us! I'm glad you choose to stay! I often say, when selling the hotel, I believe our location is awesome and a great asset to have. We love being nestled on Lake Harbison- with the walking trails to our outdoor living room with TV and fireplace we are often a blessing on the road! Thank you again for your time in posting a review. Take care & see you soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel always does well with service and comfort. The breakfast is decent and there are a few staff members that are consistent which always improves the service. They allow pets now and will keep all of the visiting pets on the same floor as to not disturb guests without pets. Too bad hotels can't do this with kids. Kids tend to be far more annoying then pets. On this particular stay, it was Easter morning and the hotel put out little plastics eggs for kids to have one or two. A mom came down with her kids who each had baskets and they collected ALL of the eggs. It was very nice of the hotel to attempt to have a small event that morning. The location is excellent. I never have to rent a car or taxi. They have bicycles and there are paths with tunnels that will lead you over to the mall. If you need to go east of Harbison, you need to be a little experienced in the traffic pattern. There is an excellent British pub on the east side of Harbison back near the Walmart and movie theatre. They usually have "Duck Rabbit Milk Stout" on tap which is a hard to find stout from a small brewery in N.C. If you take the bikes, bring your own small lock or pick one up at Home Depot which is walking distance from the hotel. The hotel does not offer locks for the bikes. Directly across from the hotel is a Hooters and Applebees however, I rarely go there because the British pub and a few other unique restaurants are accessible and of a much better quality. There are also beautiful walking paths behind the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear TA Traveler,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us over Easter weekend while visiting Columbia, SC. The British Bulldog Pub is one of our staff's (& our regulars) favorite places to go!! I'm sure they appreciate the shout out! Since going Pet friendly last year we have learned a thing or two and hope we've figured it all out. We actually have 1 floor which we do not allow any pets in the rooms at all. We heard your request about the bike locks and have since added it to our shopping list to keep on hand, it was a good suggestion. We take everything to heart-so thank you! Hope to see you back again soon enjoying the Pub & the birds around the lake!

Take care,

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is one of my best experiences with a hotel. Everything about it was awesome. The room was in excellent condition, the location is awesome, and the bed was so comfortable! I would stay here again if I have to be in this area again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear fellow traveler,

We appreciate your time for submitting a review and also for choosing to stay with us. I love our Hampton Bed Experience and talk about it all the time when selling the hotel. From the Serenity mattress by Serta, to the clean and fresh bedding with duvet and insert to our fluffy down free pillows; who wouldn't want to experience it! When choosing to stay at a hotel you should expect a few things bare minimum- a clean & safe place, a comfortable bed and good service. We hope you experienced all of them and more! Hope to see you again soon!

Hospitably,

Raleigh
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was a wonderful experience - and completely unexpected! I knew when I pulled into the parking lot and saw the complementary bike "cruisers" out front for guests that this hotel was going to be step-up than normal. The lobby is beautiful, the cookies are warm, and the coffee is hot! I regularly stay in Hamptons for business, and this is the nicest one that I have been in, since going to Daniels Island in SC. There, I expected a resort-feel....in Columbia, I didn't expect it - but received it. The staff was great, the hotel is beautifully equipped and in a great location. It was early March and too cold to swim - but the pool area is beautiful...a great spot for families in town for the weekend! Not your run-of-the-mill hotel - this place has the feel you would expect at the coast or in a tourist area. Very nice - - and the price is excellent for the value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mellisa A, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hello Max25Oliver,

We are so grateful you had the opportunity to stay with us while on travel in Columbia, SC. You review was fantastic, thank you so much for letting us know we delivered! It is our goal for all of our guest to have such an amazing visit that we become part of their regular travel when in Columbia! We welcome you back anytime!

Safe travels,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

we stayed for a long weekend for my daughters wedding. All the staff were great. Even the lady that cleaned up at night around the conference room area couldn't have been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Well done!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed nice, rooms overlooking the lake were lovely.
Dear Shirleylane,

What a fun weekend we had with you & your guest! Thank you very much for your kind review. I know you put a lot of work into planning your daughters wedding with Nicole, our group sales coordinator. Although a busy and eventful weekend it appears your family and friends not only enjoyed the beautiful wedding but the hotel accommodations & hospitality suite you arranged for them. We know we probably will not have the opportunity to host a family event again any time soon but please know you're welcome back anytime!

Best wishes,