“Mmmmm!”

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 126 Restaurants in Clemson
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 3, 2012

It's just a little hole in the wall, but it is clean and authentic.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We went there for Cinco De Mayo. Either it is a rather large restaurant or we just went late because they had no trouble seating us promptly. The food was good, but basically the same as other Mexican restauarants I've been to. I would recommend it to others.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Typical quality and prices of the Mexican restaurants in the area.

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Food's ok, nothing special. Too many college kids go to party.

Reviewed July 10, 2008

I was surprised to see the positive reviews for this restaurant. In the (probably futile) hopes of finding a decent Mexican restaurant in upstate South Carolina, I've tried Monterrey several times.

While I'll admit that most restaurants in Clemson are dismal at best, the food here is particularly terrible--the refried beans taste canned and the dishes are bland. The margaritas are a strange shade of green and taste overly syrupy sweet. The second time, I couldn't even finish my meal.

Slightly more tolerable (and only slightly) are Pancho's in nearby Central and Super Taco on Tiger Blvd. I'd recommend either of these over Monterrey, although both with reservations.

I should end this review by admitting that I am from Texas, so have a relatively high standard for Mexican food and likely have a different palate than most Clemson residents.