“A Hidden Jewel”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Clemson
Greenville, South Carolina
“A Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great experience. The three times I've stayed here were all for business conferences and I'm glad this place was chosen. Great location out of the "college scene" of Clemson proper. It offers clean comfortable rooms, excellent service from staff, and very good food at the restaurant. It's also very convenient to the Clemson Golf Course which we also enjoyed.

When I get to stay here for personal time off I plan to bring my fishing gear since their is ample lakeshore around the property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bartemus
ClemsonCCI, Guest Relations Manager at Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Bartemus, thank you so much for your review of the James F. Martin Inn. We treasure our opportunity to serve our guests and cannot wait to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

As I've visited Clemson over the last 3 years my son has been a student I have come to stay at The James Martin Inn several times. The staff is terrific. They make you feel at home. The grounds are beautiful with many rooms overlooking the lake. The golf course is nearby. The restaurant has good food and a nice group working there. Is it the 'be all, end all' of hotels. No. It is, however a nice property. It supports a good size compliment of workers. It has an easy going way about it that is consistent with the Clemson way. Sure there are some draw backs. No room service and no late night bites. Overall it's a nice place with the right amount of Clemson vibe. Close to town, close to tailgating, a decent golf course and a great group of people.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Chip D
Chip, thank you so much for helping us improve at the James F. Martin Inn. We appreciate your encouragement and concerns. We actually do offer room service, however, and hope you'll try it the next time you visit with us! See you soon!
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

As I visited the Clemson I decided to stay on campus for location purposes and for the full college experience. I was disappointed with the hotel. It is defiantly time for a renovation and some updates. I would only stay there again for convenience but not for the atmosphere.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Lauren W
ClemsonCCI, Public Relations Manager at Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Great news! We are happy to announce that we are in the process of a full renovation. Come back soon and see the new and exciting changes taking place at Clemson's very own James F. Martin Inn.
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I spent 2 nights here last weekend (Nov 9-11, 2013) clean hotel, great staff and beautiful grounds. Golf course on site looks beautiful. The only reason it did not get 5 stars- continental breakfast that came with our room was pretty scarce- we got there with an hour and a half to go with the breakfast buffet and there was next to nothing to choose from- fresh fruit almost ALL gone, no yogurt, you could get a waffle, plain bagel or cereal- muffins and pastries almost all gone too except for the big chocolate ones. Also fitness center- really small only 3 machines, no treadmill. And lastly, walls on the thin side, could hear our neighbors and their alarm clock even woke me up - I was trying to figure out how to shut it off when I realized it wasn't mine! However, room nice size- had a micro and mini fridge (which did hum a bit), bathroom nice size and the proximity to campus great. The best thing about this hotel- the BEDS were GREAT!

Room Tip: make sure you are away from elevator
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank GET_TRAVELING247
We have listened to your feedback and made some adjustments. We now offer a full hot breakfast with your stay (Up to two complimentary per room night) and children under 5 eat free. We have also completed renovations on our fitness studio. We have enlarged the fitness studio and have furnished the room with new equipment. We are currently in the process of room renovations-- complete with sound proofing efforts! Thank you for your suggestions in making our property even better.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The James F. Martin Inn is attached to the Clemson University Conference Center and was recommended to me by the staff at Clemson. I'm sure they've never stayed here however. The first room I was given when I arrived after 10 PM was on the ground floor and had an exterior door to the grounds of the Inn. A single female traveler doesn't necessarily prefer this type of room for security reasons. Food service ends at 10 PM, so no dinner or snack was available for this weary traveler. Additonally, the room had adjoining room access and I could easily hear the T.V. and phone conversation the next door guest was having. So I went back to the desk and asked to change rooms. Fine and well. I was given a different room on the 4th floor also facing Hartwell Lake and a lovely morning scene. No next door neighbors the first night. Not so the second night. My new neighbors had their T.V. on and I was able to hear it very well until around 11 PM when they finally turned it off after I knocked on the adjoining room door and asked them politely to turn it down. I had to turn the room fan on all night so as not to hear corridor noise and my neighbors. In addition the tub drained very slowly and by the end of my shower, I was standing in ankle-high water. No breakfast room service - must go to the hotel restaurant and there is an upcharge for the hot items while the cold items are complimentary. I don't want to insult my Clemson hosts with the truth about the hotel they recommended, but I won't rebook here for my follow-up visit later in the year. There is a new Courtyard by Marriott very close by. I don't know if the view is as lovely, but I'm more interesting in getting a full night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank swankyflyer
Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed here nearly 10 times......a great hotel (very clean and comfortable), superb staff (always friendly and helpful), wonderful golf course (beautiful holes)....and so close to campus. Have had several nice meals at the Seasons restaurant on the property.....be sure to eat there when you can dine outside on the patio by the lake - it's just charming.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HappyTraveler1087
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Martin Inn is surrounded by the University golf course and landscaped hills rolling down to the lake. There are only about 100 well appointed rooms. Your room includes a complete breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the lake.

The restaurant is a great place for a drink or dinner in the evening. If you get back soon enough there will be warm oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies waiting in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north over look the lake. There is a choice of suites and rooms with one king or two q...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business