“Doesn't live up to the hype” 3 of 5 bubbles

Palmetto's Smokehouse & Oyster Bar
Ranked #20 of 115 Restaurants in Clemson
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A truly unique casual dining experience, boasting South Carolina Low Country and Cajun Cuisines. Great BBQ and Seafood options. Belly up to the Oyster Bar and get some fresh Raw or CharGrilled Oysters shucked to order with several flavor options...VooDoo, Dragos, and Redneck Rock-a-fellers...Sure to please oyster lovers and newbie oyster eaters! Homemade southern side dishes, cornbread and desserts. Must try the Skookie, a fresh chocolate chip cookie baked on a skillet while you dine topped with ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Weekend Specials include Ribeye steaks, Ribs, Shrimp 5 Ways, Peel & Eat Shrimp, Smoked Meat Sampler to name a few. Try our New Orleans Bottomless Brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30-2:00 featuring Bottomless Mimosas at our Clemson location ONLY!
Greenville, South Carolina
“Doesn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have several friends that love this place, so I decided to go and try it out. We sat at the bar and were served our drinks in Styrofoam cups, which is odd for a sit down causal dinning experience. Server was friendly and fast, probably because we were two of 10 people in the restaurant at 7:00pm on a Thursday night. Hmm... I ordered the shrimp and grits. It was unique and tasty since a different kind of grit is used. The prices were a little high for being landlocked in the small town of Clemson, I have seen lower prices and fresher food in Charleston, SC. If you're looking for something to remind you of the low country, this place will for about 5 minutes. I'd be willing to give this place another shot, but it will have to be a while. Recommended? As a last resort.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank mdance93

Upstate SC
“Keep Walking, there are better places to eat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Ate there last night for the first time before going to a baseball game. The first thing we noticed was a bag of frozen okra in a chair as you came in the door. Our drinks were served in styrofoam cups which should have been a clue to the scale of service to expect. My grandson picked an appitzer of fried Mac and cheese for us. The server brought out 3 huge balls of fried Mac and cheese and about 1 tablespoon of sauce. I have had Mac and cheese balls before but they were served individual sized. 4 of us shared 2 of these and that was enough. Our entrees included shrimp and grits, BBQ sandwich, sliced brisket and low country boil. Everyone said their meal was OK. I had the LCB and it was poured out of a bucket onto folded paper in front of me. The shrimp and potatos were OK. The sausage was two huge hunks of fatty something, not quality keilbosa like I would serve. There was a small container of artificial butter and their Swamp Dust (Old Bay) on the side. The corn on the cob was cold. I mean out of the refrigerator cold. We noticed the table behind us sent their corn back and we finally flagged down a server to send mine back. He grinned and said "your corn cold too?". We waited and waited for our check and my corn. While I was signing the receipt the server came up with two ears of corn in a paper bowl. I told him he could eat them hisself. You may want to take a fly swatter with you as well. They were buzzing around us while we ate. My bet is this place will not make it till football season.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ruvidu
Clemson, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Giving them one more chance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We have eaten here five times because it's very convenient for us and we love seafood and barbecue and southern cooking. We still don't know what to expect. Even when we order the same thing twice, it can vary greatly. We're going there tonight so this will be their final chance. Sometimes the food is absolutely delicious and sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not good at all. Once I ordered something that was not made at all as the menu described, mentioned this to the waitress and she told me I was wrong, and then as we were leaving came to tell me I was correct. Four of the times, they've tried to seat us at a table with the sun shining in that would be very uncomfortable. We ask for a different table and they comply but aren't nice about it. The service has always been poor and last time the waitress called each of us honey or sweetie the two times (taking our order and bringing our check) we saw her which was off-putting. Hopefully, tonight it will be delicious. I'm hungry!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Longhairedsally
Clemson, South Carolina
“Palmetto Smokehouse and Oyster Bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had a pleasant overall experience here. Our waitress was very friendly and very helpful. The menu is full of options for all tastes and is off good value. My only complaints were that my bbq had way too much sauce on it and that my macaroni and cheese was hardly warm when i got it. Next time i go I will order something else, but I will be going back. The boiled peanuts they served before the meal were also fantastic!

• Visited March 2014
Illinois
“Good food - fair service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Went last Friday night around 5:30 pm. Very happy we were there early because when we were leaving there were a lot of people waiting to be seated. Very small place, but great atmosphere. We had the pulled pork and soft shell crab. The grits are seriously amazing. Food was really good, but the wait staff is quite young - probably because it's right across the street from the university. They are not very professional and even though we were early and the room was not very full, they still tried seating us at a table that was ill-placed. Would still recommend though.

• Visited March 2014