“Not 100% German, but very good”
Review of Oskars - CLOSED

Cuisines: German
Description: German Restaurant.
Description: German Restaurant.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a German restaurant, but the food selection is not really 100% German. There you can find a blend between low country and German specials, so if you fancy schnitzel or shrimp and grits, you can have them both.
The attention is good but it could be better at the tables. At the bar there is a fair selection of German beers and the ambience is great, which is not very common in a small town like this.
The food is very good but not great, and the prices are not cheap but the size of the plates make up for it, because they are big.
If you are around here at noon, don't bother because they only open in the evenings.

There are newer reviews for Oskars

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was fun to find a German restaurant in the middle of a southern town. It was one of the few restaurants that was open later in the evening and also offered a bar. We absolutely loved the beer and the food...but I am sorry to say that the service was absolutely terrible.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Want a good rest before supper, go to Oskars. There were 18 people in this restaurant and it took over 2 hours to have our supper!!! We ordered our meal and then sat for over 45 minutes before the appetizers arrived. It's not that we were a large party or anything as we were a table of 8. After the appetizers, we again waited for over 1/2 hour before our main course arrived. My wife's chicken was dry and not overly tasty while my crab cakes were hohum ... nothing special. We won't be back.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife, son and I dined at Oskars and was not impressed at all. First off, Oskars claims that it has authentic German food. Since true German food is hard to find I had high hopes to enjoy some. Needless to say, we were disappointed. My son had the Wienerschnitzel which turned out to be an overcooked and overbreaded small piece of veal. I had the Zigeunerschnitzel, an entree that was a piece of pork smothered with an almost unedible tomatoe sauce that in no way tasted like a German dish. The only entree that came close to being an average German meal was my wife's Jaegerschnitzel which was good and nothing more.

The service left a lot to be desired too. After giving our server the order we sat for 10 minutes without any attention. When we saw the server we asked for bread. We were told it would be out of the over soon. 5 minutes later the bread came out but she had "forgotten" the salad. We then got the salads and the entrees came out right after that. The service left much to be desired.

Oskars has a lot of work to do in order to become a restaurant that I can recommend to people. The first place to start is with the service. Servers have to be trained to take orders and make sure that the various dishes come out in a reasonable time for us to enjoy them. The excuse that something is "in the oven" just does not cut it. The next place to work on is the kitchen. If you say an entree is authentic, it better be. Oskars should drop German entrees until they learn the proper way to make them.

Since we now live close to Cheraw, we will visit Oskars again. I do hope that when we do, I can give a more positive review.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were in Cheraw for our high school reunion, so a little pressed for time. Even though we informed our waittress of this, our meal took two and a half hours! Their special of the evening was delicious but at least half of us were quite disappointed in the food.