“Avoid The Vacation Station in Downtown Charleston” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charleston

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
NW Florida
55 helpful votes
“Avoid The Vacation Station in Downtown Charleston”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

Stay away from 229 Meeting Street, The Vacation Station! Avoid this whole block. Sidewalk hawkers will try to lure you into a 45 minute presentation promising free tickets to any of the city's attractions. The high pressure presentation is for travel club services that you will find are next to worthless. We fell for it and signed a contract that we cannot rescind. Our "free" carriage ride and Fort Sumter tickets ended up costing us over $3000!

37 Thank BPinMEFL
Los Angeles
6 helpful votes
“Charleston is a treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

Being a born and bred S Californian, I clearly felt the difference in how history and the area is preserved and kind of revered versus where we are. Visit some of the churches and the synagogue garden which is truly peaceful. We loved and appreciated the buildings, gas lamps, the gardens, the food, the tours. My husband and 7 year old daughter and I went from 12/26 to 1/2 and it was fantastic despite not being there during the prettier seasons. Also, the people there are incredibly gracious.

We recommend SNOB restaurant for both food and service as well as their cooking store, Charleston Cooks. Bull Dog Tours with Fran for a terrific ghost tour and Magnolia Plantation for the Audobon Tour. Also good is Josephs for lunch, (a locals spot).

We stayed at the Renaissance and it would not be my first choice next time. I would recommend and pick something much more customer friendly and/or authentic like the Vendue Inn. If you going for 4 star, you can do much better than the Renaissance. The most helpful people were truly the parking valets- after that.... On the other hand the conceirge at the Holiday Inn - dont know about charm, but the service sounds great there too. I would rather have stayed there.

We also stayed on Folly Beach for a few days and that was wonderful too. Fred Holland Realty for renting an ocean front condo was easy to work with and we got a great location.

Somerset UK
259 helpful votes
“Charleston Strolls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

Charleston is a wonderful city with so much to see and do by foot, carriage, bus and water and you'll be spoilt for choice. On the recommendation of the hotel concierge we opted for a walk with Charleston Strolls and I'm glad we did. Our guide, a retired schoolteacher, took us on a 2 hour stroll through streets and alleyways away from the bustling city centre. Very informative, welcomed questions, and would thoroughly recommend.

Bloomington, Indiana
28 helpful votes
“Charleston, in general...need to dig a little deeper...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

I don't feel as if I can give the city of Charleston a completely fair review, as we only spent about 24 hours there. The restaurant and attraction I wanted to review is not yet featured on trip advisor, but I thought I would throw out a few insights about my recent experience...

The evening we got in, we chose to eat at A.W. Shucks restaurant. We were looking for a reasonably priced, authentic seafood 'dive' - if this is what you, too are searching for, I do NOT recommend. Perhaps we caught the restaurant on an 'off night'??However it was Friday night so it seems they would have been prepared ...our server was nice, quick, and very helpful. The food....ehh...oysters were not steamed through all the way and some were mushy. Crab cakes were heavily seasoned with red pepper, overpowering the flavor. The icing on the cake??? While leaving the restaurant, after the meal, my father actually witnessed a man in the restroom, wearing a cook's apron, leave the bathroom after going #2 and NOT WASHING HANDS!!! EW!

Parking was a nightmare on this particular night - I recommend getting wherever you need to go early for this reason.

The next morning, we debated on going to a plantation or doing something war-related and chose to do a boat tour to Fort Sumter, where the first shot of the civil war was fired. Now, here was a gem, totally redeeming Charleston in our eyes after the unsettling experience from the night before. This tour was done as part of the National Parks service, so prices were very reasonable compared to the other private tour companies ($30 per adult). For a 2 hour tour (~30 min boat ride out to the fort, 30 min back to the mainland, and then an hour to walk around the fort and tour the on-site museum). Adults $16 ($14.50 with military ID). I saw more dolphins in the bay that morning than I did in an entire week in southern Florida and the FL Keys!! Wow! I was so impressed. The history talk was nice and the museum was great - I highly recommend this experience. Call early - they only have about 5 tours per day and I am sure they fill up. It is right near the aquarium with a pretty cheap parking garage. Great views of both shores and the bridge.

So that is all I can say for Charleston - There were a lot of old homes and architecture, however there are many new buildings sprinkled in and lots and lots of tourist shops.

1 Thank lyoung88
Atlanta, Georgia
30 helpful votes
“Great place to visit for quick get away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

The first day I arrived,I was afraid I made a mistake spending my valuable time on this little place.I think doing too much research had me looking for the negative! Got there later in the pm so had not gotten to look around,We usually go to Europe,but this time decided we will stay close to home in Atl,Ga.The next day we got out and did the buggy ride,and saw the sites and I fell in love with this charming place.It has wonderful,friendly folks,and is very beautiful.Great food everywhere,beautiful hotels,picture perfect,historical,water views,alot of class.Alot of things to see and do,or just walk around and chill looking at the natural beauty.We loved the history and wish we could have stayed longer and seen more.I love this place!! Reminded me of Palm Beach,Bermuda,and Boston.Art gallaries were first rate,tours of homes were very informative.I didnt feel like this was the tourist town it is, but a place the folks really want you to feel welcome..opps not like Palm Beach! Thanks for a great time and memories!

1 Thank europeantraveler1953

Been to Charleston? Share your experiences!