“Yes, this is nice but,.....”

Town & Country Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Madison, Wisconsin
“Yes, this is nice but,.....”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Checked into our room. Found out that the $15 coupon for the restaurant, if you make the reservation directly with the motel, was just for the whole room and not per person. Breakfast is $9 per person. So, I will end up owing $3 plus tax for breakfast each day. But, it looks like it is a nice buffet meal. Ticks me off that I have to pay $2.50 for a coffee for breakfast. A buffet meal but you have to buy your coffee????? The assorted juices are free so I think I’ll get a lot of juice and maybe drink it. What really ticks me off is that the waitress comes around, after you seat yourself, and asks if you want coffee. She does NOT tell you that this is an additional $2.50 charge. Just asks if you want it. Why the deception here? Do they need the money so bad that they will, in effect, steal it from you? Is it worth $2.50 to piss you off so you will look for another hotel next time you visit? There is a hell of a profit when you charge $2.50 for a cup of coffee. We travel a lot and many hotels have free coffee 24 hours a day. It is very stupid, to me and, out of principal, I will look for a different motel next time we visit. I don't like encouraging motels that set out to screw me out of my money.

Our room is pretty nice. Very modern. Easy to connect to internet. Separate shower and bath. Marble tops on the furniture and the bathroom vanity. They have a nice toilet and I am going to look around for new toilets when we get home. These actually flush and they don’t give you a modified, unintentional bidet treatment with every flush.

Room Tip: There is a free coffee maker in your room and you can switch the decaf for regular coffee at the des...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thevisitorcenter
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Regarding the breakfast you may have noticed that you were eating in a large, busy full service, open to the public restaurant with waiters, china, silverware etc... As in all restaurants food is provided for a charge. We do provide Keurig coffee in the guestrooms for free to our guests who prefer that option. If the server made a mistake and forgot to inform you about a separate charge for coffee then that is our fault and we owe you an apology and certainly did not do that on purpose. We have been in the hotel business for four consecutive generations here ion Charleston and place supreme importance of the opinion of our guests so please accept our most sincere apologies for this error.
Erin T. England - Director of Sales and Guest Satisfaction

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We stopped at the hotel on our way to a cruise. The staff was very friendly. The lobby was comfortable. The breakfast buffet was average. The location was convenient. Our only complaint was the cleanliness of the room. The coffee pot was dirty and had not been cleaned from the previous guest's use. The comforter on the bed was reversible. When we pulled it down, there was a white substance on it. The comforter was dirty and had just been reversed to cover up the white substance. The manager was apologetic and offered us a discount on our next stay, but we passed and told her we would not stay there on future visits to the area.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Mabacata
I am terribly sorry to hear of your experience in our family owned and operated hotel. I can assure you that our comforters are of the highest possibly quality (not typical in this price range)and are laundered after each guest as I personally supervise this activity. Additionally each guestroom is inspected by the executive and the assistant executive housekeeper before being released for occupancy again. Please contact me so I can make this right for you.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This place is a great value when you consider all factors against the cost! Location is a close 15 min from the center of historical Charleston. Everything about the hotel is recently updated. The rooms are bright and elegant with bar, microwave, LED TV, and the beds are truly grand! The toiletries in the room are top quality, no skimping here! Parking is included, convenient and well lighted. The access is well-controlled with occupant security an obvious focus. Rooms are well-insulated and we had no "outside" noise issues. We booked early and received the daily $15 voucher that could be used in the bar or Trotters dining room. Breakfast buffet was very nice, nothing exceptional, but it was nice and you could have a made to order omelet. The service staff all were nice and accommodating and seem to be well-trained. I mean, our experience was VERY nice. I WILL absolutely recommend this to any of my friends and family. If there was any downside for someone, you might consider the 15 min drive to downtown, but with the parking available in December, we did not find this a concern. Also, I do not generally write reviews, but this place deserves the credit I think.

Room Tip: I did not rate they Kids activities, since I did not experience that aspect. As well, did not rate t...
Green Features: They indicate they use environmentally sensitive products and "recycle". I could not validate that, but they do urge you to "reuse" towels for your stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gene D
Thanks for taking the time to write such a fantastic review and for doing that even you said that you do not normally write reviews but felt that we deserved the recognition. I will pass your sentiment along to the staff who take great pride in their work.
Port Saint Joe, Florida
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel was very nicely furnished and very clean. It provided great access to old Charleston. Very well priced for this area. Had a dining room for breakfast and additional meals. On site laundry and business area. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor away from the conference rooms if available
Green Features: As most they used environmentally friendly product packaging and tried to minimize water and material waste
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don S
Thanks for letting us know that you would definitely stay with us again and were impressed with the value we provided. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.
Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel really provides value for money. Good location and service together with well maintained facilities, good sized room and ample free parking makes staying here really worth it.

The bathroom was up to date and spacious, made it easy for all of us to use it.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Geognut
Thanks for you kind words and endorsement of our family owned an operated hotel. I hope you will come see us again soon and spread the word among your friends and family. We appreciate your business.
Exton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Town and Country Inn and Suites was the perfect for choice for my recent visit to Charleston. I needed to stay close to West Ashley rather than downtown. The exterior of the property does not do justice to the nice sleeping rooms offered. My room was totally updated with modern fixtures, awesome tiled walk-in shower, super comfy bedding, K-cup machine, flat screen, etc., etc. There is a pool area, small fitness room - but the front desk staff leaves my best memory of the place. They are extremely nice and professional and will see to it you are pleased during your stay. This Inn in located on a "strip mall" type highway so I was skeptical - but this is no Motel 6 at all. Very nice option for outside of Downtown.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor away from the highway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
I am delighted to hear that you feel our hotel was "the perfect choice" and that you were so impressed by our front desk staff. We go the extra mile to make sure our guests are happy just as you found during your stay with us. Thanks for the praise and for your business.
Tennessee
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We go to Charleston to visit friends a few times a year. We've usually stayed in downtown, but our usual was booked, so I surfed to TripAdvisor to find a new one. Well, thank Goodness I did. No way will we stay anywhere else!
The hotel is very conveniently located. It's near several stores and restaurants, and is easy in/out. More than adequate parking, even on a weekend.
The room was spotless and very quiet. The room had a full tub and shower, and also a HUGE separate shower with the best in-the-wall nook to hold your shampoos, etc. The bathroom was amazingly large and came with some of the best amenities I've had in a while. They even had a little pack of Q-tips and cotton balls. Who thinks of that? Water pressure was amazing.
The room had super-soft and spotless carpet. The mattress was like a fluffy cloud on top of some wonderfully firm substance. I have nothing to compare it to, so make up your own metaphor/simile. Just make it awesome, because it WAS! The down comforter was just another fabulous cloud. Sigh. I miss it.
The thermostat was very accurate. The temperature stayed spot-on comfy the whole time. TV was large and clear, the remote was actually very clean. Data ports and outlets for electronics abounded! Chair/desk and comfy chairs were all very nice. The nicest touch was a keurig k-cup machine with a good selection of coffees. I don't drink coffee, so a hot cocoa or tea would have been nice, but my friend loves coffee and was very happy.
A couple of exceedingly nit-picky gripes, just so you don't think I'm making up this fabu review: The Keurig was on this adorable little shelf/nook with it's own spot light. We referred to it as The Keurig Altar. And, apparently, very tall people worshiped it. We had to take the Keurig off the altar to add water. We were too short to reach with the Keurig on the altar. Granted, both of us are 5'4" if we're being generous, so... nit picky.
Oh, and the room came with a full-size REAL hair dryer. No mini-stuck-to-the-wall blow dryer. The real deal in a super cute bag! That hung on the only hook on the bathroom door! So, yeah... nowhere to hang the towels to dry them, other than draping them over the rails above the tub that still had dry towels on them. Like I said.. NIT PICKY.
Also, the friendliest and funniest front desk staff I've had in many a visit to anywhere lately. They had us laughing so hard.
The booking came with a free or discounted meal in their restaurant, but we didn't actually have time to use it. Our friends are foodies, so we were too busy going everywhere to eat to use the freebie!

Room Tip: Some bottom floor rooms have cars that pull right up to the window. The black-out shades do a great...
Green Features: Plenty of reminders to reuse your towels, but not militantly stated, so you don't feel like the devil if you leave them on the floor. Also, recycling bin right in the room that they sort, you just toss the stuff in!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank emalemaloo
Wow!! What a fantastic and detailed review of our family owned and operated hotel here in Charleston, SC. Your comment saying "No way will we stay anywhere else!" and that you found our staff so friendly made me smile. We so appreciate your business and look forward to your return stay.