“Just "Meh"”

Ranked #8 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Rochester, New York
“Just "Meh"”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Maybe it was just that we were at the end of our trip and out of money, but I felt like this place was nothing special and no one worked very hard to make us think differently. The room we got was not pictured in any photos as there are a lot of rooms at this hotel, so I was disappointed by our room-- it was clean, but needed updates, and the "terrace" was kind of a joke. We did not partake in breakfast but did go down to see what was available and it just wasn't anything special. The only plus to this place was that it was reasonably priced in a very expensive city and close to King St. and downtown attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
rvs102067, Manager at The Meeting Street Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I could see 3 stars straight through for “Just Meh”, but even they admitted that the price was reasonable in a very expensive city. Maybe we deserved a 4 or 5 star for value if nothing else.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Bloomsburg PA
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just stayed for a week at MSI with my 2 sisters - they shared a double and I had a single. My extensive review follows below:
PROS: Lovely boutique smaller-medium sized hotel created from an original Meeting Street building. Full of charm and wonderful staff. Side courtyard a peaceful refuge from the busy street. Included breakfasts are a treat, varied, and tasty. Wine and cheese/cracker/dip treat from 5:30 to 6:30 are great - and a nice way to chat up and meet new folks - my sisters and I made instant 'friends' each time we stayed in the quaint lobby to share wine and stories. Rooms are large and filled with period reproductions; comfortable beds (but see below); ACs that pumped out lovely cold air; has a small fridge, and balcony w/ wooden shutters instead of curtains. Golf cart to trundle guests from semi-distant parking lot (just a few blocks down) and location absolutely perfect for Charleston. Prices are also exceptional for the area. Large jacuzi/spa in courtyard (had to laugh at 'no diving signs' on wall by spa!).
CONS: Depends upon room - major issue is that cleanliness of rooms is not quite up to snuff - if you can handle shabby chic and are not a clean freak this is the place for you. My sisters' room (316) had been more recently renovated and was just lovely and less shabby than my (315) not renovated room. However, when the sun angled in their room I could see the layer of dust under the furniture - I suspect that the large scaled furniture makes it more difficult to run the sweeper...I could literally see where the vacuum could reach, and were it could not, under the armoire. And unfortunately my room smelled moldy and of mildew and was definitely in a more 'used' state - the AC unit was old, leaking outside, and when we walked around the back of the building we could see where the older AC units had leaked creating an environment for mildew. But when I had the AC unit cranked up for a time it wasn't as bad and not bad enough for me to ask for another room. PHYSICAL DISABILITY alert: the beds are high canopied period beds - lovely BUT for a short person with bad knees and hips a nightmare to get into and out of in the middle of the night for a trip to...well you know. But they are comfortable. Also please note that they have set aside a small area in the back of the courtyard for smokers which is a great improvement over allowing them free reign but I still find it disgusting to have to walk through that area - sorry lost me mum to lung cancer so I have no patience for idiots who smoke but you could not smell it anywhere near the lobby or breakfast area or in our 3rd floor rooms so I'm pleased by that! And keep in mind that they are constantly renovating their rooms - bit by bit so you could always request a 'newer' room if you think these issues may bother you.

OVERALL: Even with the issues noted above I still loved the dang place and especially the staff - truly wonderful (and not fake) folks who seem to really want you to have a great time and to love C town and the Inn as much as they do. Yes, I would stay there again and would send my friends there as well - if you read this Meeting Street folks I just want to say thank you to everyone who took care of my sisters and especially Darren who looked after them when my plane was delayed!

Room Tip: Higher rooms overlooking courtyard get a lovely breeze and view. Ask for renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ArchaeologyDoc
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at The Meeting Street Inn for two nights and if we could, we would have stayed for a month. The staff were the most pleasant and helpful people. Breakfast in the lobby was delicious and different each day. Our room was just beautiful with the four poster bed and the look and feel of being back in the 18th century. It was well worth it to be able to walk anywhere. We had Lee park our car and never drove it again until we checked out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cannon Beach Or
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stay at The Meeting Street Inn once and you will return each time you visit Charleston (and visit Charleston once and you will return many times!). the jewel of the south, the most beautiful city in America, and the perfect inn in which to stay. Great staff, unique rooms, perfect location at the entrance to the market and within walking distance of the many historic sites in Historic Charleston. The morning breakfast on the weekends is also worth a second trip after which a long walk will be in order.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank erroni
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is the third year that we've been to this delightful hotel during the Spoleto Festival. We just LOVE it here! The staff is so friendly and accommodating, and provide a real homey feeling. The rooms are a little dated, but they are adequate, and the location can't be beat. It's right in the center of town, and we can walk to all the concerts. If we are tired, we just take the free bus that circles the loop (and Market St. is on, or close to, all the bus stops). We love the breakfast buffet -- if the hot food isn't your cup of tea, there are always croissants, breakfast buns, yoghurt, cereal, fruit, etc. And the afternoon wine and cheese hour is a hoot, and a great way to save money when going out to dinner, because you can have your "cocktail hour" at your home base. We will go back next year and stay with our friends at the Meeting Street Inn again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B B
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to make a quick trip to Charleston on June 17. After researching many options in the downtown area, I decided on the Meeting Street Inn. Rodney was especially helpful with my reservations and upgraded my room since we were there celebrating our anniversary. Our room was extremely comfortable and the afternoon wine reception was a wonderful touch after driving in. The continental breakfast is more than adequate to start your day. The only thing I would add is fresh fruit during breakfast. I cannot say enough good things about this B&B and the personal service we received from the time we arrived to the time we left. We will definitely return there on our next trip to Charleston.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 302 which had a wonderful view of the market area of Charleston.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clatag
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had another great time here at Meeting St. Inn Love this place. Right in the heart of the market and just awesome. The wine and cheese and breakfast are always a hit and delicious. The staff so helpful and the golf cart rides to the parking lot and carriage tours was a big help. Can't say anything but good words about the place. We had a double room and the mattresses had been just put on that am, our bellman said he had spent all am caring them down the halls and replacing old ones, so we had a new bed and it was so comfy!!! I think this is the best place to stay have been here several times and would highly recommend. Yes there are some updates that could be made to the bathrooms and some may need a little paint touch up, the pool is more like wading pool but the place is charming and romantic. So if you are looking for a romantic place I would recommend this hotel for sure!

Room Tip: For romance , ask for an end room on the street side 2 or 3 floor so you can eat your breakfast over...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family