“Great central location”

The Meeting Street Inn
Ranked #7 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2007

We stayed at The Meeting Street Inn three nights, Sept. 27 - 29, 2007. We paid something in the $230 to $240 (plus applicable taxes, etc.) range per night for a ground floor room with two Queen beds. That price also included a very nice continental breakfast (cereal, fruit, breads, buns, etc., ham bisquits, and typical beverages). Parking is available for hotel guests in a lot directly across Meeting Street that charged $12 per day for hotel guests (free out and back in as often as you want). The Meeting Street Inn is a small "European Style" hotel in an older Charleston-style building (which is nice if you're a first-time visitor). You're paying the premium room price for a central location -- lodging in the central historic area of Charleston does not come cheap.

The front desk staff could not have been nicer. They were first-class. On the negative side the hotel, particularly the outside patio area, and room were not quite as spic and span as you'd expect for the price. (Could that be intentional? Reflecting an "Old South" atmosphere? That's hard to tell.) In late Sept. the temperature in Charleston begins to be reasonable, so we could shut-off our noisy and excessively blowing room A.C. unit at night. I do not think that sleeping in the bed next to the A.C. would be pleasant with the A.C. on all night.

All said and done our experience was o.k., but on account of the room A.C. I'd probably not want to stay there in the heat of summer. I'd also look for a better price. The Meeting Street Inn itself may have suitable smaller rooms than ours, at better prices. Charleston also has a large number of well-located B & B's that ought to be better bargains.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed September 25, 2007

I took my mother and my 6 year old daughter to Charleston for a "girls only" trip and stayed at the Meeting Street Inn. Before I left home I rented a scooter for my mother who has difficulty walking. We arrived at the inn at 11am, and because we needed to take time to assemble the scooter, not to mention we chose the hottest days of the year, we were booked into our room right away - at 11am!!! I was given assistance with the scooter, and some minor construction was moved to allow my mother the ramp access for her scooter. All in all, the service was exactly what I've come to expect from small inns and B&Bs. I would definitely stay here again! Also, the rooms were quaint, yet had all the modern conveniences. And the innkeepers even called and booked our coach tour of the city, and the bus picked us up at the front door! Great service, great inn, great city!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We loved this little place, but I wished they had informed me before we got there that they were performing some renovations. I wouldn't have cancelled, but I'd liked to have been made aware. Okay, now that I have that out of the way. The staff at the desk was very helpful, and joked with my son a little. The rooms were like nothing I've seen before. I love the shades, the high beds, the marble top table in the bath. The long counter in the rear, and the furnishings! My son (5) loved the fact that they provide a little stepper to get up to the bed. He made sort of a game of sliding off the bed and then climbing back up. I'm glad we were on the first floor! Also, the desk person put us in a room right in front of the hot tub, and said the kids will love being right in front of the "pool", we turned the heat off, and so it's sort of a miniature swimming pool. And right he was. The room was down from the area they were renovating, but I would like to have seen the place in all it's grandeur without the scaffolding! Oh, well! We had a terrific time in Charleston anyway. And the room was beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Best place to get the atmosphere and receive good ol' Southern hospitality. Front desk was very friendly and helpful. For those of you who've seen GWTW, reminded us of Aunt Pitty Pat's house in Atlanta. Very nice courtyard with fountain where we ate breakfast and in the afternoon, enjoyed wine and cheese. Our room was very comfortable and shower had good water pressure. Tall 12 foot ceilings, canopy king size and nicely decorated. It is right in the middle of town and within comfortable walking distance to almost everything. We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annalise
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The hotel had an excellent location. The breakfast was mostly pastrys, bagels and cold cereal. Almost everything was bought in premade. There was plenty of coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate around the clock. There was also afternoon wine and cheese which we opted to skip with the exception of the first night. The rooms were clean and had turn down service. For the most part the room was clean, but the tub could have used sprucing up. The room was very dark and somewhat on the small side. But it served it's purpose for us while staying in Chaleston. The people at the desk were helpful and polite and went out of their way to please us.We often stay at B and B's over standard hotels, but we found the Meeting Street Inn to be true to it's name..really an inn and not the feel of a B and B.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LongIslandLisa
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Sp[ent 2 very nice nights at thew Meeting Street Inn. The older inn has real character with a great patio area that reflects the Charleston location. Our room was very nice with a distinctive classical feel that we really liked. The inn location was also great - centrally located in the historic area.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 50+phxtraveler
Reviewed March 9, 2007

My sister and I stumbled on to this place when we decided to explore Charleston. The place is absolutely beautiful. what they call a continental breakfast, is a real breakfast in my opinion. The staff is gracious and friendly. We were lucky and got to meet the owner who shared the history of the place with us. They have a huge wrap around porch over looking the park and water front. The grounds are beautiful and you can chose to eat outside or indoors. We were only going to stay one night , but could tear ourselves away, and had to stay one more. They also serve afternoon tea, and you are welcome to poor yourself a glass of sherry anytime you please...all included in the price.
I don't understand a couple of the reviews I read, because the place is VERY VERY clean and the furniture is beautiful. The windows in the living area, are real tiffany stained glass, and they are beautiful.

When I go back to Charleston, there is no question...I am stay here
I took pictures and will try to add them later

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family