“Best Birthday Ever”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I came to the Charleston Marriott to celebrate my birthday and cannot be happier about my decision! The decor is gorgeous and the rooms are comfortable and inviting. The restuarant has some great choices and the room service was great! The staff was very welcoming and never stopped smiling. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of visiting the charleston area!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2009

I would not recommend my worst enemy stay at this poor excuse of a Marriott hotel. Upon arrival, was greeted by a lack of bellstaff! This rude Director of Rooms named Lorne [--] was in the lobby, with his hands behind his back just had this dumb look on his face. When I asked where check-in was, he said in a rude sarcastic tone, "It's in front of you"! The hotel did not have valet parking and the parking lot is TERRIBLE. Some kind of construction going on, water and debris all over the parking lot! After having to park in a small pond and soak my feet, I fell in the parking lot. There is a HUGE difference from the asphalt and the pavers! How stupid of a public area to have such a drop. It has been that way for a while, you can tell. I complained to the Front Office Manager, Scott [--], and he acted as if it was my fault I fell. The room was even worse! The room was stuffy and smelled of mildew/mold . The windows were soaking wet. Upon further inspection I found mold/mildew at the windows and curtains and along the walls. How dangerous! I called down to complain and the woman who answered the phone could have cared less and basically hung up on. Finally someone from maintenance came up and kinda laughed, he said most of the rooms were this way. I just told him to leave and I went downstairs. I complained to Lorne [--] and he tried making up this big ole lie about Charleston. Well, I have been coming to Charleston for 10 years and have spent well over 300 nights in hotels and never had this problem. After explaining to him, he basically said you can check out if you want. That's what we did. When I got home, I tried contacting the General Manager several times, but never heard back from him. I could go on, but I think I have gotten my point across!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank atlantatravelforfun
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We came via boat to the harbor, arrived about 6pm to find out the hotel was overbooked! The manager at the time offered to send us to another Marriott resort that would upgrade us to a "luxury suite". After hours trying to find a taxi (and coerce them into paying 4 it), we arrived at the ummm.....Residence Inn in North Charleston about 45min away! Then, spent the next morning trying to get transported back to the Marriott. (of course, had to rehash everything w/ the next manager on duty at both hotels!). When we finally arrived at the Marriott we had originally booked for (which was very nice and our manager then was extremely helpful) we did have a nice stay. Wasted most of our trip trying to figure out how they were going to compensate us ~ it was mentally draining! After hours of talking to taxi's, managers, customer service, packing/unpacking etc....they agreed to pay for the taxi's and rooms. IF you go, make sure you have a room!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2009

The rooms and public areas on this hotel were pretty nice. Our main complaint was that the rumor was super-humid/stuffy (anything you left in the room literally became damp - tough on papers, books, etc.). The location was easily accessible, though you should definitely rent a car if you stay here as it is not within walking distance to the major tourist attractions.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I was there for a total of 5 weeks and really enjoyred it. The rooms are large and comfortable (especially the penthouse). The consierge lounge was a nice feature and room service was very fast and priced pretty good. The only down sides are the parking is pretty tough on the weekends (but, they are building a parking structure - goodbye free parking!), and twice in 2 weeks the fire alarms forced a total evacuation of the hotel. Both false alarms. The restaurant is great.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2009

If you have a car, this attractive hotel with very nice pool and outdoor area serves as a wonderful place to stay while experiencing Charleston, SC. Located on the "river" side of downtown, it has easy access to both downtown and nearby attractions. As a family, we enjoyed the swimming and whirlpool in a nice palmetto tree lined setting. The lobby and exercise room are nice as well. While we were there, they seemed to be expanding the parking for the conference facilities, which should be done by now. The rooms were very nice and updated. An outdoor bar was located on a balcony overlooking the water.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We got this room for $100 per night through Priceline.com. I hate to pay more than $100 for a room but you never know what you're getting. This was so nice. The restaurant/bar area was pleasant and there was a very nice area outside to sit around and chat or have cocktails. The staff was efficient and very nice. The room was very nice and we had a view of the water. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple