“Better than most reviews give it credit for”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #37 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Centreville, Virginia, United States
“Better than most reviews give it credit for”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I recently stayed at Marriott for a business meeting, I like to rate hotels by each section so here goes:)

Pool: Small, but adequate for the number of guests. Its clean and the towels are plentiful. They said they had service for drinks, but no one ever came around, so I did not spend money (that I would have gladly!). Pool water is warm, not really cold, but its July and I expected it to heat quickly in the sun.

Room: Room was nice, beds were comfortable and bed quality is one of the most important aspects of hotel rooms to me. Bathroom was small , not sure there is anything you can do about this, but it was sometimes a pain getting in and out of there. Coffee in room was delish!

Food: Food/drink in restaurants was better than most hotel food I have had at other locations, and service was always friendly and quick. The third floor "rooftop" lounge was relaxing with lots of open space for our group.

Shuttle: AWESOME! If you plan on staying here (because it is less expensive than staying 2 miles away in historic district), then know that the shuttle is always on time, always clean and always cool when its hot outside. The cost is $6 roundtrip per person and the pass is for all day, and they have a cooler of water for you on the way back...remember to tip the driver a few dollars if you ask him to drop you outside the route (which if time permitting they will). I saw numerous parties who asked for a favor without compensating...don't be cheap, its $2 tip.

Room Tip: My room was on 7th, I still heard a little road noise but not so much it bothered me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DebinVA
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review...we appreciate you taking the time to review each aspect of your visit. We just finished renovation of our pool in April and reviews have been positive. We changed from chlorine to salt and installed heater for the spring/fall & winter months for the brave, cold weather swimmers.
Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our 7th wedding anniversary & were totally impressed with EVERYTHING!!!!! Jerri Alan, Front Office Mgr., was absolutely over-the-top accomodating and professional. Everyone from the concierge room staff to housekeeping was delightful and exactly what you dream of experiencing on your vacation. From the decor, the amazing view of the Ashley River & Marina from our exquisite room with a balcony, location, cleanliness, proficiency, & everything in between, my husband & I are addicted!!!!!!! Thank you Jerri for making our anniversary experience at the Marriott one we will never forget!!!!!! See you next year. The Shipleys

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience and your anniversary with us! I'm not surprised to hear about Jere Allen - he is a definite service "champion" and manages our front office operations and services. Thank you for your kind words and your business...look forward to seeing you in the future!
spammmenot
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Excellent stay. Worth another stop. Breakfast was great. Easy location. Staff very friendly.

Parking was the only down spot. Always a walk, doors on the far side of the hotel where parking is available are locked so you must walk around the hotel in the heat/rain/whatever.

Room Tip: We faced the ball park. Interesting seeing the games from afar, and a small bit of fireworks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Spammmenot
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor and the nice comments. I do appreciate the walk from the parking lot...unfortunately, the building layout and parking lot cannot be changed. We do lock down the doors for security reasons at night, but guestroom keys can swipe to open. We also offer valet parking at the front entrance at very reasonable cost to assist with parking.
Thank you for being a customer of Marriott Hotels and look forward to seeing you again in future.
Allen, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is a great alternative to staying in the historic center and is a fraction of the cost. It's only about 2 miles from the center and they have a shuttle for which you can buy tickets ($6 round trip) at the front desk. The hotel is updated throughout. The beds and pillows are so comfortable. The fitness center and pool are nice. We enjoyed the rooftop lounge which had a nice breeze in the evening and reasonably priced drinks. You could also self park in the garage for free. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank deenmachine
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for the comments...we appreciate the feedback and so glad you enjoyed your visit to our property. Have a great summer and hope to see you again in future.
Little River, South Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Everyone, from the desk clerk, concierge to the restaurant waitress, was professional, helpful, and welcoming. The room was large, clean, and well appointed. One small disappointment, though, we were charged for wi-fi during our stay.

We'll be staying there again, for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your nice comments about your experience at our hotel. We strive to be an excellent service & friendly hotel staff and its great to hear...we made a good impression on you! Thank you and hope to see you again in the future.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My entire family now is infested with scabies. me, my husband, my six month old, and 4.5 year old. The customer service while staying here was HORRIBLE the rooms are dirty! stains on the walls. Rooms smell like mildew and carry water condensation all over the windows. Hotel from HELL!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon A
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am sorry about the skin condition your family has come down with. Scabies is an infection that is generally transmitted from person to person. If you feel you were stricken at hotel, I would trust we would be notified so that we could handle the situation with your family and also notify our pest control company to clear that particular guestroom (if there was an issue). I would not want any other guests to be effected by issue. According to your review, you were guest in May, but I am not aware of any claims for scabies. I am sorry if you were affected during your visit to Charleston, but without any sort of details or notification about issue, it is difficult to respond. Please notify hotel about details of issue at your earliest convenience.
Thank you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the Charleston Marriott for memorial day weekend and I am left sort of speechless. Not necessarily in a good way, nor a bad way, but just confused I guess. The hotel lobby and rooms were nice and seemed updated, but the area is near the Citadel and near what appears to be a semi-forgotten about area in Charleston. We had numerous small issues with our room, which were fixed by the staff so no need to make note of those. The room was not too clean, had stains on the sheets, furniture and windows, only the sheets were addressed the next day.

The one thing I guess I am trying to say is that even though the hotel seemed updated and new it still had an eerie feeling about it and you could tell that it gets left in the dust when it comes to Charleston charm. If you get this hotel for under 150.00 a night, I'd say it's a fair deal, anything more than that you're better off paying a little extra to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the Citadel if you want something to look at.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hustedms
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is located outside the "historic district", but we also price ourselves accordingly and create a better "price/value" for our customers. We also provide on-property free guest parking, which none of downtown properties provide. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.