“Nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
spammmenot
“Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Excellent stay. Worth another stop. Breakfast was great. Easy location. Staff very friendly.

Parking was the only down spot. Always a walk, doors on the far side of the hotel where parking is available are locked so you must walk around the hotel in the heat/rain/whatever.

Room Tip: We faced the ball park. Interesting seeing the games from afar, and a small bit of fireworks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Spammmenot
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor and the nice comments. I do appreciate the walk from the parking lot...unfortunately, the building layout and parking lot cannot be changed. We do lock down the doors for security reasons at night, but guestroom keys can swipe to open. We also offer valet parking at the front entrance at very reasonable cost to assist with parking.
Thank you for being a customer of Marriott Hotels and look forward to seeing you again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is a great alternative to staying in the historic center and is a fraction of the cost. It's only about 2 miles from the center and they have a shuttle for which you can buy tickets ($6 round trip) at the front desk. The hotel is updated throughout. The beds and pillows are so comfortable. The fitness center and pool are nice. We enjoyed the rooftop lounge which had a nice breeze in the evening and reasonably priced drinks. You could also self park in the garage for free. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank deenmachine
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for the comments...we appreciate the feedback and so glad you enjoyed your visit to our property. Have a great summer and hope to see you again in future.
Little River, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Everyone, from the desk clerk, concierge to the restaurant waitress, was professional, helpful, and welcoming. The room was large, clean, and well appointed. One small disappointment, though, we were charged for wi-fi during our stay.

We'll be staying there again, for sure.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your nice comments about your experience at our hotel. We strive to be an excellent service & friendly hotel staff and its great to hear...we made a good impression on you! Thank you and hope to see you again in the future.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My entire family now is infested with scabies. me, my husband, my six month old, and 4.5 year old. The customer service while staying here was HORRIBLE the rooms are dirty! stains on the walls. Rooms smell like mildew and carry water condensation all over the windows. Hotel from HELL!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon A
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am sorry about the skin condition your family has come down with. Scabies is an infection that is generally transmitted from person to person. If you feel you were stricken at hotel, I would trust we would be notified so that we could handle the situation with your family and also notify our pest control company to clear that particular guestroom (if there was an issue). I would not want any other guests to be effected by issue. According to your review, you were guest in May, but I am not aware of any claims for scabies. I am sorry if you were affected during your visit to Charleston, but without any sort of details or notification about issue, it is difficult to respond. Please notify hotel about details of issue at your earliest convenience.
Thank you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the Charleston Marriott for memorial day weekend and I am left sort of speechless. Not necessarily in a good way, nor a bad way, but just confused I guess. The hotel lobby and rooms were nice and seemed updated, but the area is near the Citadel and near what appears to be a semi-forgotten about area in Charleston. We had numerous small issues with our room, which were fixed by the staff so no need to make note of those. The room was not too clean, had stains on the sheets, furniture and windows, only the sheets were addressed the next day.

The one thing I guess I am trying to say is that even though the hotel seemed updated and new it still had an eerie feeling about it and you could tell that it gets left in the dust when it comes to Charleston charm. If you get this hotel for under 150.00 a night, I'd say it's a fair deal, anything more than that you're better off paying a little extra to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the Citadel if you want something to look at.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hustedms
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is located outside the "historic district", but we also price ourselves accordingly and create a better "price/value" for our customers. We also provide on-property free guest parking, which none of downtown properties provide. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.
Avondale Estates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a Marriott semi-regular and Rewards member but I impulsively decided to try Priceline to see if I could get some "fancy bargain" for a fun July 4 long weekend trip with my husband. I did just about everything wrong you could do on Priceline, but it still ended up a winner, thanks to the Charleston Marriott.

I "won" a room at this Marriott but for not much more, I could have booked a very nice room directly. I dreaded being stuck in a crappy room due to the Priceline booking since it was costing the hotel. I emailed the hotel's marketing director and GM and made a very nice plea for a nice room for my and my husband's special weekend. Boy did she EVER come through.

We got a very nice corner room, King size bed, very private, nice riverview with a BALCONY, 9th floor. Wow. I was so amazed. Later, one of the desk personnel told me that they held that room specially for us. I can't thank them enough for making a potential "fail" into a winner.

The hotel is very attractive, has a decent little gym, nice pool area, a cool rooftop bar on the 3d floor overlooking the river, the rooms are well appointed and the beds "heavenly" comfortable.

And the staff is amazing - from arrival to checkout (desk people, bartenders and servers, staff attending the pool, and any staff member you just passed in the hall or lobby), everyone was friendly and extremely helpful. The adorable woman who was no bigger than a minute at the front desk not only got us a cart for our bags & my husband's guitar, she took it up to the room herself.

And, I loved the area - yeah, it's not in the hubub of downtown Charleston (which can get pretty noisy!) but it's a very short drive to downtown. Use your nav app to find a parking garage or lot off the main drag & walk a little - it's good for you.

I'm a runner/walker and I loved walking & jogging around the area - I felt completely safe - ran along the river, through the Citadel campus and around Hampton park - very charming, older homes and shady (meaning from trees, not from sketchy people) neighborhood streets.

Next time, I'll direct book but I would most definitely stay at this lovely Marriott again.

Room Tip: Corner king balcony on a higher floor - 9th to 14th - can't be beat. We were over the rooftop ba...
1 Thank jlfv
Thank you for being a loyal customer of Marriott and the nice comments about your visit. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and we appreciate all the great comments about our service and staff....Thank you very much!
Hogansville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our stay here was very enjoyable. The hotel and room decor was not your standard Courtyard look so that was refreshing. Nice courtyard area where they had live music for the 4th of July. Outdoor bar on the 3rd floor that was perfect at the end of the day. Very accommodating staff and drivers. The shuttle service to the downtown area was very convenient - we used it every day. Only negative is the size of the pool and sunning area. We weren't able to use it any of the days we were there as it was always full.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with the water view are great.
1 Thank SlisTraveler
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about your visit and I'm sorry you weren't able to take advantage of our new pool area. We did enlarge the sundeck to accomodate alot more people. Thank you for your business over the holiday weekend and hope to see you again in future.