“Great Hotel, Poor Location”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #36 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Hotel, Poor Location”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel is very pretty and modern - seems like it was probably recently updated. Both the common areas and the rooms were tasteful and fresh-looking. Essentially, it's in the middle of nowhere, neither convenient for travel nor for sightseeing. For $6 / a day there is a shuttle that runs every half-hour to take you to the historic downtown. There is no shuttle to the airport. That said, it was comfortable and pleasant once we were there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaVieEnCharmCity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our stay in Charleston was very nice, including our stay at this Marriott. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable to spend a week in, the view from the balcony was amazing!(Ashley River and nearby Marina), and the shuttle was a valuable part of the stay. The cleaning staff did a great job in our room each day.
There were some businesses holding meetings during the day, but overall the place was calm and quiet. Late January-early February must be a good time to be there if you are interested in a quiet environment. The concierge floor was available to us and the food and staff there were excellent. My husband was there for business, so I used the Marriott shuttle daily for a way to and from historic downtown Charleston. Thad was a great help in suggesting restaurants and tours to see in town. The pool area was closed due to renovation, but considering the time of year, it was not an issue. Parking was free which was good considering the distance we had to park some of the time. Overall, a great trip and a great stay and a place we will return next time we visit Charleston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The Forks, Maine
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I almost always stay at Marriott's because they are a good buy, all non-smoking and generally very clean. This one was clean but whatever disinfectant they used permeated the entire room and without access to fresh air, the odor was captured inside. OMG! You could almost taste it. I asked for a fan and they were prompt bringing one up. Didn't help. Also you have to pay for WiFi in your room, $9.95. Free in the lobby but that's a pain. The hotel had helpful and well informed staff and a shuttle to downtown, however they charge $6.00/pp for an all day pass. Overall a nice stay but a few too many bumps....the smell being the biggest problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the Charleston marathon in Jan 2013 and the starting line was in the hotel's backyard so it was the best choice to not have to deal with driving and parking at the start/finish. The location was right near the water with a great view for some rooms. Pool was under rennovation(outdoor) but I took a peek and it looks like it is going to be awesome come summer. Hotel rooms were a little humid and so smelled a little damp. Elevators were good even the busy am of the race and Starbucks in the lobby was a godsend. The fitness center was a tad small for a hotel that size and that caters to business and other travelers. It had 2 bikes, 3-4 treadmills amd 2-3 ellipticalls but one of the treadmills was out of service my entire stay. Not good with 100's of fitness buffs visiting but the warm Jan weather made an outdoor run even more attractive. I didnot dine in the hotel but the restaurant gets good reviews on TA. Parking was a bit of a hassle with most parking in the rear of the hotel but no rear entrance so you had to walk to the sides or front which was a little creepy late at night but the police station was right next door so I had no true worries re safety. Good access to major highways and roads and to local restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: I always prefer lower floors to avoid elevator during busy times.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions last May for the Spoleto Festival. Since my first stay was on Memorial Weekend it was next to impossible to receive a free upgrade (Platinum rewards member). No big deal. However, the noise due to all of the wedding parties was a major issue. I'm all for a good time and didn't get back to my room until around 1:30 or 2 AM but would like peace and quiet when it's bedtime. The biggest upset was that when I checked in there were dirty dishes outside of my room. The dishes weren't picked up until the next day around mid afternoon. I shared this with the front desk staff that was apologetic but nothing was done. I got over it and hoped for the best on my return stay the following weekend. They were able to accommodate an upgrade to the concierge level which was great...or so I thought. Again, upon arriving at my room there were more dirty dishes outside the door. The breakfast in the concierge lounge was the worst ever. I'm from the south which is known for its great cuisine. If you can't make scrambled eggs that are edible, we have a problem! To make matters worst, the toilet didn't flush very well and the shower ran cold more often than it was hot. This is supposed to be an upgrade?! I didn't have these problems in the previous room where I stayed Memorial Weekend. I brought all of this to the attention of the front desk staff who assured me that the manager would be in contact. Never happened. I filed a complaint with Marriott's Platinum service line who claimed a manager from the hotel would be in touch. Still nothing. I plan to stay at this hotel again for this year's Spoleto festival because of its location making it convenient to get to festival activities without the headache of driving through downtown Charleston. I hope the 3rd time's a charm. I'll update this review accordingly. Also, service at the rooftop lounge was very slow and the crab cakes I ordered were luke warm, at best. I ordered the crab cakes in the restaurant downstairs the night before and they were very good. Not sure why there was a difference. This hotel is supposed to be upscale. As a frequent traveler it hasn't met my expectations....yet.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I visit home rarely. When I do, I enjoy the downtown areas that look over the rivers. This property was my 5 year anniversary getaway, and it was amazing! The high floor riverside king was of the quality that would take away anyone's breath. Special thanks to the team of representatives who assisted me in surprising my fiancee. Edward, Janet, and Rachel are the people to ask for at this property. I cannot fully express how much I enjoyed the hotel, but I will surely stay again and recommend the property to anyone looking for the traditional Charleston take on hospitality.

Room Tip: This property has a very solid build, I recommend simply staying and enjoying any room, at any locat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very nice hotel!! Lobby is beautiful! Esp at Christmas time. Clean, comfortable rooms; beds were great. Front deak staff were nice, but hugely accomodating. Restaurant on site but we didnt eat there - and Starbucks on site! We were there on business for one day and night - five of us total. Location was good for us - close to hospitals we were visiting. And so close to downtown so that we could drive around and see some of the history. Love Charleston! Getting a cab to the airport was not particularly easy, but there was a shuttle driver there assisting another group and since they had room, I got a ride with them. Driver was very nice. Also, they had a wine tasting in the lobby that was very good. Would stay there again. Rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business