“NOT just Ok!! This place is GREAT!!! Love staying here!!”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #31 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have stayed several times before and will always stay here when in the area! The service is great and the treatment you get from the front to the back of the hotel is the same--great service!! Sometimes parking is a little tight but--that means they do a great job cause everybody wants to stay there!! The 3 floor bar is awesome --the view is super nice at sunset and just a great place to sit for the evening. This should be a 8****

Room Tip: Not a bad room that I have found
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband took me to Charleston for a quick birthday getaway and we decided the Charleston Marriott would be nice based on the reviews. Now don't get me wrong the hotel is just fine, in fact the lobby and lounge area are very nice. The location is good as well just across from the Ashley River. My issues however are more with the service than the hotel itself. So being a Silver Elite I know that perks are minimal compared to a Gold or PLatinum, however other Marriott's I've stayed at have taken my Elite status into consideration and done what I've asked for which isn't too much. When I made the reservation, as usual I asked for a corner king room on a high level with a view and then added that it was my birthday, like I've done in the past when taking my hubby away for his b-day or travelling for my own. Well I didn't expect fireworks, hwoever I did think that since we were staying in the middle of the week and the fact that the hotel was not full, would allow for them to grant my request on at least room location. When we checked in there was no bellman at the front entrance or anywhere to be seen for that matter, and when we walked into the lobby after fighting for parking since they had a conference going on, there was only 1 person at the front desk who did not even greet us. I gave him my name and he found it and checked us in, stating that it was nice room with a great view. Ok well hearing this I assumed we'd gotten the type of room I requested. Well we were on the 9th floor, so yes high floor, however we were BESIDE the corner room and the great view was one of the parking lot, meanwhile the corner room would have given us a full view of the river. So BUMMER, I was not happy. NO extra pillows or towels like I requested and I always get these when staying at a Marriott. This was the first time we hadn't. I was very disappointed. The front desk clerk didn't even acknowledge that it was my birthday.
Anyway so as not to ruin the trip my husband convinced me that the room wasn't THAT bad, just not great. Well the bathroom is TINY and the shower had some midew, which I was just not up to par for a Marriott. The ONLY redeeming feature of this room were the double showerheads in the very small shower. The bed was ridiculously hard, and I am still recovering from back pains after sleeping in it for 2 nights. Very unusual for a Marriott which usually has great beds. The sheets were not as pristine white as usual and my husband found hair in the bed that was neither mine nor his. I found a spot on blood on a section of the sheet and the pillows were dingy. Well seeing as just being in the room was making me very unhappy we decided to go out and get something to eat, being new to the city we decided to visit the concierge for suggestions. Well she wasn't much help we told her wanted seafood and she gave us exactly 3 options and could tell us nothing much about their menu or anything else in fact.
Well upon coming back to the room I thought the hotel would redeem themselves and at least send a slice of cake, a happy birthday note or something to my room. Surprise suprise.......NOTHING! Now we may have been spoiled by every other Marriott we've ever stayed at, including the JW Marriott in New Orleans just last month for my husband's birthday who not only sent him something special to the room on 2 nights but met every one of my requests, and handwritten notecards. I told hubby I must have been spoiled all the other times and that Charleston just didn't do that. So disappointed.
Well we went to the pool the following day and although they have lots of towels and chairs available, the pool is located in the front of the hotel literally right by the front doors. This was just an awkaward location for a pool. And while it was a good size, it needs to be completely repainted on the bottom, The bottom was grungy to say the least and there were 2 very large dark spots in the middle, that everyone seeemed unsure of and avoided. So we didn't stay long which was just another disappointment seeing as it was a sweltering 97 degree day with no breeze.
The last straw was on the day of checkout, normally your folio is delivered well before you even wake up and then you can call down and just advise you'll be checking out......no fuss no muss. Well wouldn't you know it, no folio/receipt when we got up and got ready at 10am. I called down to advise we were checking out and the front desk perosn sounded surprised. So just as we were leaving I stopped at the front desk to get a copy of our receipt, the front desk manager is the one who i spoke to and he didn;'t know how to print it out, at first printing a blank sheet with just my name and room number and when I asked for an itemized receipt he looked at me like I had asked him to jump through hoops. The front desk SUPERVISOR had to come and help him out. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I was so upset at this point I just walked out of the lobby shaking my head.
Anyway by this time we were just ready to get out of there, the only good thing about this trip was each other's company and I can honestly say I will not be recommending or returning to this Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Check-in was after 9pm and I was initially greeted well, but before the check-in was finished, I began feeling like I was being looked down upon. When I asked for a cart for my luggage, as one was not visible, the young lady told me she would have to get one as they keep them locked up. Seems they have a problem with them going 'missing' sometimes...? I guess if the valet is not present the carts are not suppose to be available? The young lady then advised me where to find parking and that she would bring me a cart to the back entrance. Well, I waited but no cart so I walked all the way to the front and found the other young woman working the front in the process of putting the cart up...? Why wasn't I offered a cart at the front entrance where my car and luggage were when I checked in?

This wasn't the only instance that supported my feeling, but my overall impression of this hotel is that if you aren't a business customer wearing business attire, you are not welcome. They didn't seem to have a problem taking my money though....

And another comment I would like to make about this hotel. The bathroom only had a shower and with that there was some areas of mold in the grout. The double shower head was dirty, like it needed bleaching along with the grout. And there was a brochure regarding purchasing items indigenous to Marriott hotels, such as the bed and linen. I can honestly tell you that I sleep on a memory foam mattress at home that is 10 years old and it is truly more comfortable than their $2250 king size bed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've stayed at the Marriott Charleston over Labor Day weekend. I chose the Marriott because the other Marriott brand hotel that I booked (Springhill Suites in North Charleston) was filthy and bug infested, so I had to check-out and figured I'll pay extra for a guaranteed better stay at the Marriott.
This hotel was better in the sense that there were no bugs and the staff was very nice. The hotel is old and run down. Our room was clean but the bathroom wasn't. Stuff in the toilet, hair on the ceiling... The ceiling is so low, I could easily reach it without stretching. Very tiny. The wallpaper is peeling and there are moldy spots where the wall is exposed. The room is crowded with the queen beds but the beds were comfortable.
We didn't leave because we had two exhausted kids with us and have already wasted our Saturday dealing with Springhill Suites.. The beds were comfy and clean, which was our top priority at the time.
The area where the hotel is located in is jaw droppingly seedy and flat out scary at night. You'll see run down houses, boarded up windows and thuggish people walking around. This is obviously not the Marriott's fault. I was just surprised.
Overall, the hotel is okay, I guess. The problem is that it was WAY overpriced. I paid $420 for two nights and the level of quality was nowhere near to what one would expect for that price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Is ideal and it is right on the the River Ashley. You can park your car and take the shuttle. We got in after 9:30p and took advantage at a Saffire Restaurant which I will review separately. However, after a drive for Orlando we were ready for dinner and a good nights sleep and that is exactly what we got. We stay on the executive floor so breakfast, the news and coffee was just what we needed before hitting the road to DC.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

It is the people with whom you interact that create the memories of any trip. In the case of this hotel, this personal reference point holds true in spades! Dan at the front desk; Zach & Sam the bellmen & shuttle drivers; Melissa & Beck in the Concierge Lounge all combined to treat my wife and me as treasured guests. And we were traveling on Marriott Rewards Points!! Dan suggested and made excellent dining reservations, Zach & Sam shuttled us quickly there, and Melissa and Beck filled our every relaxing need in the Lounge. Thank you Marriott staff for continuing to make our Marriott experience unforgettable.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor with a view of The Citadel, the park an the river.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in August. Since I'm a Platinum Elite member, we had access to the Concierge Lounge which was a nice treat in the morning.

The location wasn't bad -- it was not in the historic area, but that's a good thing. The free parking was a nice thing, as well.

This is a typical Marriott, but the bar area is nice and was allowed us to see a nice sunset.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple