“Not up to Holiday Inn standards”

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed February 3, 2007

My husband and I stay in Holiday Inns whenever possible because we have a priority card and accrue points, etc. We have come to expect a certain standard at a Holiday Inn and this particular one was not up to par. Very old, which is OK, but in desperate need of updating. The bed was oh so uncomfortable. The up side was that it was less expensive than staying downtown, but only about 5 minutes away with a very convenient shuttle service.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SPILulu
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

Reviewed January 17, 2007

Arrived on Christmas Day. Front desk was NICE, and room clean the only good things about this place. Room was said to be non-smoking. There was an ashtray on top of the armoire in the room, and it reeked of smoke. They were obviously doing something in the banquet room upstairs, so from 1 until almost 10 p.m. we got to listen to clunking feet and scraping chairs being dragged across the floor. NOISY PLACE!! Sign me up for another stay..NOT!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Jennyangelo
Reviewed November 12, 2006

This place looks nice from the outside and even the lobby is ok, but once you get to the room it's another story. I've never been to a hotel where I was so compelled to write a review. This place is just plain old dirty. The hotel is a big circle so the rooms feel like you're sleeping in a slice of a pie. the room was so narrow by the door it was so crowded once we got our bags in there.
But the worst part of all had to be the ants. I had a small bag of doritos as a snack from the car ride and I had a couple before going out and one chip fell on the floor. I didn't notice it until the morning when the small chip was COVERED in about 50 little ants. IT WAS SOOOOO GROSS. I was so glad that I was only staying there one night because the Doubletree in historic Charleston was booked that Thursday night.
When I told the front desk about it the guy kind of laughed and said "....uhhhh, ok what would you like me to do?"
I will never return.

Stayed: November 2006
2  Thank mendeshaw
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Well, my new husband and I (we just got married) stayed there on our quite quick honeymoon. I love the location, and the rooms were clean, and very nicely decorated. The view from our room was tremendous...a great view of Charleston. We stayed in a room that was notated as a "Skyline" view of Charleston. The other views from the hotel would have to be just as nice considering all there is to see in and around the Charleston area. We will definitly be staying there again.

There is a roof top dining facitlity that offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so we decided to eat breakfast. When we arrived, we noticed that there was a normal $7.50 breakfast buffet, so that is what we got. Breakfast was very good, therefore when dinner time came, we decided to venture up once again. I ordered prime rib with garlic mashed potatoes, and my husband ordered chicken parmesan with fettucini alfredo. The first thing they brought us were some bread sticks...you could tell by the texture that they had been heated in the microwave. I let that roll off my shoulders expecting one of the best meals I have eaten in months. Finally our dinner arrives. Very gourmet looking, almost too gourmet looking with all of the "fresh" parsley sprinkled on top of everything. Mine looked very good, so when I took a bite, I got a little thrown off. It's seems as though everything was pre-cooked and microwaved as people ordered...not my idea of a good $39.00 plus $8.00 tip spent. Well, completely ignoring the fact that we just spent a good bit of money on food, we returned back to our rooms. Less then an hour later, my stomach was in knots, and then my husbands was aswell. Needless to say, the experience of the hotel was great, but I will be sure NOT to eat dinner there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jlmdpd79
Reviewed August 16, 2006

Aug 10, '06 - Aug 15, '06

Given all the choices to stay in and around Charleston, it was the reviews of this site and others that made my decision for me. Clean, responsive and friendly. Initially, you may think of a Holiday Inn as too comercialized as compared to other hotels in a city like Charleston. Don't let preconceptions prevent you from choosing this hotel.

One of the best features of this hotel is the concierge, Kevin. First, Kevin took about an hour to help us with dinner and tour reservations. After missing a dinner reservation because of traffic, one phone call to Kevin got us a later reservation. He suggested a private boat tour on which we saw Bottlenose dolphins swimming up onto shore...an unbelievable site. Lastly, Kevin took myself and my girlfriend on a late evening tour of downtown Charleston. This he did on his day off and without compensation. I've never found a better concierge.

5  Thank JimmyMac_65
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Our room was awful -- small with peeling paint & wallpaper, and the bathroom had alot of mold, probably the result of the 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water that flooded the floor every time you took a shower. But the worst thing about this hotel was the staff!! Totally unfriendly & unprofessional!! We saw several staff members many times during our 3-day stay, & even though we would say "hello" to them as they passed by, not one of them ever acknowledged our existence. 1 employee liked to hang out by the railing in front. He did not help us with our luggage from the car (5 suitcases) when we checked in, although he was standing right there watching us struggle. When we returned from dinner 1 night in the pouring rain in the middle of a tornado warning, he didn't move an inch to help me out of the car even though he was 2 feet away. Another red-haired female employee (non-disabled) who worked in the office parked in a disabled spot by the door, thus making my disabled husband have to walk quite a distance to get to the front door. I could go on, but these are the "highlights." This was by far the worst experience I've ever had at any hotel I've ever stayed at!!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gettinoutofla
A TripAdvisor Member
Riverdale, Maryalnd
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife an I spent our anniversary in charleston. Based on some of the reviews of this hotel that we read, we didn't know what to expect. Once we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. The location of the hotel is within close proximity of all of the major attractions in charleston and the views from the harborview restaurant were absolutely breathtaking. The shuttle bus to downtown charleston was an appreciated ammenity as parking inthe historic district is horrible. We would recommend this hotel to friends

• Stayed: July 2006