“good choice, beautiful views, very comfortable, reasonable rates” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #43 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
south carolina
“good choice, beautiful views, very comfortable, reasonable rates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

I am paticular about where I stay and this hotel was a delghtful place. Charleston can be expensive and I found the Riverview Holiday Inn to be less expensive than similar hotels and great amenities. It was clean and comfortable and an awesome view! Don't miss it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank southcarolinaann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
High Point, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

My family loved this hotel! Very clean, and extremely nice staff! The hotel shuttle to the historic district was fantastic --- didn't have to worry about finding a parking place and it was always on time (unusual for shuttles). Easy check-in. We were on the shuttle within an hour of checking in and un-packing. The view from the restaurant is wonderful, particularly at night. Our only complaint was the a/c - noisy at times. Great location for going to other areas such as the beach. Free parking! Would definitely stay again! Great staff!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank HamletBingo
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a trip to Charleston for our 2-year anniversary. From a lot of the reviews we read, it seemed this would be a great place to stay---not quite! It only had 2 elevators for 14 floors, which if you selected too many floors--around 5 (i.e. multiple people on one elevator), it reset and all the numbers disappeared. My husband and I, upon getting to our floor (14), went to get in our hotel room, only to discover we couldn't. In hindsight, maybe we should have fidgeted with the handle of the door a bit more. Apparently there are some doors where the handle is upside down, so one must lift it in the opposite direction of how one would typically open the door. Which of course we weren't told upon check-in, but only after we had gone up to our room, then back down to the front desk, then back up to our room (14 floors). Also, just outside our room door was a place where a ceiling tile was missing--by our second day there, a trash can had been placed below the open area, as it was leaking. So, this obviously got our hotel stay off to a shaky start. I could have overlooked it all, had the room been in order. Instead, the bathroom had patches of black mold along the ceiling and wall, which is incredibly unhealthy to be around, and breathe in. Also, we happened to be staying there the same time as a very large family reunion. A group of young kids on our hall were running around, laughing and screaming at around 10:30pm. When my husband called the front desk, they told him there was nothing that they could do. On Saturday, my husband and I arrived back to the hotel after a day of sight seeing/touring to get ready for our special dinner date that evening. Housekeeping had been to our room and our bed was remade and hand towels replaced. It wasn't until I went to get out of the shower that I realized they hadn't replaced ALL of the towels and I had nothing to use. So, my husband called and asked for more towels, which did arrive quickly.

Overall, my husband and I had a wonderful trip to Charleston---just not at our hotel. We will never stay there again.

1 Thank grits_81
Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at the Holiday Inn Riverview - Charleston, SC. The room wasn't perfect, but for what little time we spent in the room awake, the room served its purpose. We had an awesome view from the 7th floor. The balcony's sliding door was permanently sealed so it was impossible to take in the entire view. The size of room was a positive. The vanity, which was separate from the shower & toilet was also a positive. The cleanliness of the room was questionable, however. Starting from the baseboards, there was a 5" darker color stain that ran the entire perimeter of the room. I'm still trying to determine if it was dampness in the carpet. I dared not touch it to see, I just wore shoes in the room at ALL times. Upside the baseboards (which were carpeted) were places where there was white powdery stuff. I don't know what that was. Perhaps it was an insecticide...if it was, it didn't keep a BIG BROWN SPIDER out of our bed. I was lying in bed on my back talking to my boyfriend. I felt a weird pain shoot from the middle part of my neck to midway down my back. I stopped mid conversation and he could tell something was wrong by the expression on my face. I said, "I just got the weirdest pain in my back and neck." He told me to sit up and he began massaging my back. Maybe about 10-15 seconds into the massage, he gave me a forceful nudge and said, "Get up! Get up!" I could tell he was trying to stay calm as not to freak me out. I leaped from the bed. That was the only time my bare feet had touched that questionnable carpet. When I turned to look, there was a big, thick brown spider on my side of the bed. My boyfriend managed to get the spider up on my pillow and he took the pillow to the toilet where he shook the spider off and flushed it. I'm freaked out at this point, because all I could think was had I been bitten by this spider...and does that explain that weird pain that shot through my neck and back. If so, what kind of spider was it. Am I going to be okay. Will I wake up in the morning! I'm a girl...so yes I had all those thoughts in a matter of a few seconds. My boyfriend got me a replacement pillow from the other double bed which neither of us had slept on. The first pillow he picked up had MILDEW the entire length of the short side of the pillow. GROSS! He threw that one back and got another pillow...a cleaner one. What a way to close out our last night in Charleston. I was worried and my boyfriend could tell I was. He checked my neck and back several times that night looking for signs of a spider bite. He found nothing. Needless to stay I didn't sleep well at all that last night. I was waking up every so often checking for a spider. The next morning as we prepared to dress for our departure, my boyfriend inspected by neck and back a couple more times...no visible sign of a spider bite. As I swept the perimeter of the beds with my foot (with my shoes on of course), rolling from under the bottom of the bed was a BIG WAD of OLD, STALE BACON! And, it wasn't ours because I don't eat pork. GROSS! This room needed a thorough cleaning!!!

At check out we explained to the frontdesk help about the spider in our bed. The young lady was very unresponsive...the most we got from her was widened eyes and an "oh really" then she said, "you're all set." Huh? Was she going to do anything about it? Was she going to followup on my request to call an exterminator? Did she even process what I'd just shared with her. She didn't seem to care. We paid our full bill in cash and went on our way after I got the name of the hotel's management. Upon my return to NC, I called to share my story with Assistant Guest Services Manager C.A. Swinton who seemed a little more empathetic than the front desk clerk. She at least apologized that we had experienced the SPIDER in our bed. That was it!

Wow! If that's satisfactory customer service, then I'm never going to this hotel again! I value customer service! The Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston, SC missed the mark on responsiveness to the customer. I expected that they'd at least offer a partial refund of that last night's stay. That didn't happen. If you value customer service or cleanliness, then this hotel is not for you. Spend your hard earned dollars somewhere else.

- Kisha A., Greensboro, NC

2 Thank CheckUrSheets
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

This was our first trip to Charleston. We had no idea where to stay, and it seemed that most hotels in the city were $300 plus a night and you had to pay for parking. We fell upon this hotel which is only 2 miles outside the city; it seems closer, though. We paid $136 a night and parking was free. We also had a pop-up trailer with us and were able to easily park. The hotel was clean and tidy. It was a little older but updated. We had no complaints. The hotel also offers a free shuttle into/from the city every two hours, so we didn't have to drive in! It was perfect! I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for an affordable hotel in Charleston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Michigander46
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Our room was on the sixth floor facing the city. The view was wonderful and the room adequate and clean. Unfortunately, the restaurant at the top of the hotel had no air conditioning at the time so we couldn't enjoy that experience. But for breakfast I would recommend walking around the back of the hotel and there hidden from view is a Waffle House.

Stone Mountain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Spent the 4th of July weekend at the Riverview. This was my 1st time in Charleston. The hotel is very old yet it seems to have been updated somewhat. The room was decent, the carpet was old, and the wall unit A/C worked well just made a lot of noise! There was an iron an hair dryer and the TV had free HBO.
The best thing about this hotel is the view! The restaurant up stairs has a view that is un beliveable. You can see for miles! The bar is a great place to grab a drink after being out all day, and many locals stop by as well. The pool which is on the roof is just ok, but the beach is a short drive away.
They offer a shuutle to downtown to drop and pick you up every 2 hours. This really does in handy. The location is wonderful, you can find your way to all the points of interest.

This is not a 5 or 4 star hotel but it is great if you need an affordable place to stay. I loved Charleston, any will be back, if I get a decent rate I will be back at the Holiday Riverview!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo