“The SPIDER in our bed ruined it for me!”

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #43 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Greensboro, NC
“The SPIDER in our bed ruined it for me!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at the Holiday Inn Riverview - Charleston, SC. The room wasn't perfect, but for what little time we spent in the room awake, the room served its purpose. We had an awesome view from the 7th floor. The balcony's sliding door was permanently sealed so it was impossible to take in the entire view. The size of room was a positive. The vanity, which was separate from the shower & toilet was also a positive. The cleanliness of the room was questionable, however. Starting from the baseboards, there was a 5" darker color stain that ran the entire perimeter of the room. I'm still trying to determine if it was dampness in the carpet. I dared not touch it to see, I just wore shoes in the room at ALL times. Upside the baseboards (which were carpeted) were places where there was white powdery stuff. I don't know what that was. Perhaps it was an insecticide...if it was, it didn't keep a BIG BROWN SPIDER out of our bed. I was lying in bed on my back talking to my boyfriend. I felt a weird pain shoot from the middle part of my neck to midway down my back. I stopped mid conversation and he could tell something was wrong by the expression on my face. I said, "I just got the weirdest pain in my back and neck." He told me to sit up and he began massaging my back. Maybe about 10-15 seconds into the massage, he gave me a forceful nudge and said, "Get up! Get up!" I could tell he was trying to stay calm as not to freak me out. I leaped from the bed. That was the only time my bare feet had touched that questionnable carpet. When I turned to look, there was a big, thick brown spider on my side of the bed. My boyfriend managed to get the spider up on my pillow and he took the pillow to the toilet where he shook the spider off and flushed it. I'm freaked out at this point, because all I could think was had I been bitten by this spider...and does that explain that weird pain that shot through my neck and back. If so, what kind of spider was it. Am I going to be okay. Will I wake up in the morning! I'm a girl...so yes I had all those thoughts in a matter of a few seconds. My boyfriend got me a replacement pillow from the other double bed which neither of us had slept on. The first pillow he picked up had MILDEW the entire length of the short side of the pillow. GROSS! He threw that one back and got another pillow...a cleaner one. What a way to close out our last night in Charleston. I was worried and my boyfriend could tell I was. He checked my neck and back several times that night looking for signs of a spider bite. He found nothing. Needless to stay I didn't sleep well at all that last night. I was waking up every so often checking for a spider. The next morning as we prepared to dress for our departure, my boyfriend inspected by neck and back a couple more times...no visible sign of a spider bite. As I swept the perimeter of the beds with my foot (with my shoes on of course), rolling from under the bottom of the bed was a BIG WAD of OLD, STALE BACON! And, it wasn't ours because I don't eat pork. GROSS! This room needed a thorough cleaning!!!

At check out we explained to the frontdesk help about the spider in our bed. The young lady was very unresponsive...the most we got from her was widened eyes and an "oh really" then she said, "you're all set." Huh? Was she going to do anything about it? Was she going to followup on my request to call an exterminator? Did she even process what I'd just shared with her. She didn't seem to care. We paid our full bill in cash and went on our way after I got the name of the hotel's management. Upon my return to NC, I called to share my story with Assistant Guest Services Manager C.A. Swinton who seemed a little more empathetic than the front desk clerk. She at least apologized that we had experienced the SPIDER in our bed. That was it!

Wow! If that's satisfactory customer service, then I'm never going to this hotel again! I value customer service! The Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston, SC missed the mark on responsiveness to the customer. I expected that they'd at least offer a partial refund of that last night's stay. That didn't happen. If you value customer service or cleanliness, then this hotel is not for you. Spend your hard earned dollars somewhere else.

- Kisha A., Greensboro, NC

2 Thank CheckUrSheets

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

This was our first trip to Charleston. We had no idea where to stay, and it seemed that most hotels in the city were $300 plus a night and you had to pay for parking. We fell upon this hotel which is only 2 miles outside the city; it seems closer, though. We paid $136 a night and parking was free. We also had a pop-up trailer with us and were able to easily park. The hotel was clean and tidy. It was a little older but updated. We had no complaints. The hotel also offers a free shuttle into/from the city every two hours, so we didn't have to drive in! It was perfect! I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for an affordable hotel in Charleston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Michigander46
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Our room was on the sixth floor facing the city. The view was wonderful and the room adequate and clean. Unfortunately, the restaurant at the top of the hotel had no air conditioning at the time so we couldn't enjoy that experience. But for breakfast I would recommend walking around the back of the hotel and there hidden from view is a Waffle House.

Stone Mountain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Spent the 4th of July weekend at the Riverview. This was my 1st time in Charleston. The hotel is very old yet it seems to have been updated somewhat. The room was decent, the carpet was old, and the wall unit A/C worked well just made a lot of noise! There was an iron an hair dryer and the TV had free HBO.
The best thing about this hotel is the view! The restaurant up stairs has a view that is un beliveable. You can see for miles! The bar is a great place to grab a drink after being out all day, and many locals stop by as well. The pool which is on the roof is just ok, but the beach is a short drive away.
They offer a shuutle to downtown to drop and pick you up every 2 hours. This really does in handy. The location is wonderful, you can find your way to all the points of interest.

This is not a 5 or 4 star hotel but it is great if you need an affordable place to stay. I loved Charleston, any will be back, if I get a decent rate I will be back at the Holiday Riverview!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Mobile, Alabama, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

this hotel is very long in the tooth. the carpet in our room was wet (hope i don't get a fungus) from the poorly functioning a/c. food pretty standard so better bet for breakfast is cracker barrel. leaving the hotel is taking your life in your hands as there is a blind curve to the right with cars traveling a minimum of 60 so rent something you would have used in the old atlanta interstate ramps. no to mention check in time of 4pm is inconvenient.

north carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed here for a conference nearby at The Citadel. The photos show a pristine hotel with great views. However upon closer look, this hotel has clearly seen better days that what it is now.

Check-in was very rude. My colleague and I waited at the front desk. "The" clerk who was on duty was on the phone shuffling paper did not even acknowledge us -- a nod or a mouthed "just a sec" would have done. What really made me upset was that two or three other employees saw us, including a manager, and didn't even ask "are you being helped?"

I was checked into one of the handicap accessible rooms--they didn't give me a choice. I had hoped for a tub and this room only had a shower. Cleanliness was barely acceptable. My view was horrible on the backside towards land. Worst yet, all the balconies you see in the photos have long since been closed off. High point was that the wi-fi did work well.

If I wasn't crashing for just one night, I would have asked for another room. And I do hope this was an isolated experience. Just book with caution, verify your side/view, and check your room out first before settling in.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Altoona, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverview June 12th - 15th. It was just a long girl's weekend, so we were looking for something reasonable. At check in the staff was very friendly and fast. The room was clean and large enough for 2 girls. We did not have much of a view, however we were right next to the pool. We did start out at the rooftop bar, and the staff there was extremely helpful and fun. They have great happy hours on Monday - Friday, and if you are a Priority Club member it is even better. We had Bay Breezes for $1.95 for 2 hours, a very great deal! We found that there are a lot of locals that will come to the bar during the week for happy hour also. This made it nice to get their ideas on great places to go.

The hotel is not within walking distance of downtown, however they do have the shuttle that runs every two hours, and was always right on time. We did wish it ran a little more often, as we had to plan our day around that schedule if we wanted a free ride. Taxis cost right around $7.00 to most places downtown from the hotel. We always took a taxi back to the hotel at night as the shuttle only runs until 9:30 at night. I would definitely recommend yellow taxi, the drivers were all great and showed up very fast. I would also recommend putting the taxi numbers in your cell phone, you will have to call to get a taxi, no flagging one down. We did try out the breakfast buffet on Sunday and was not impressed at all. Not much of a selection, just basic, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, and pancakes. I was really wishing they had some biscuits and gravy. The wait staff again was really great! If you do have a car the parking is great! Plenty of spaces. We rented a car on priceline for a total of $62 for our 4 day trip. The cost of a taxi from the airport is $30 one way, so it was worth it for us to get the car. This made it possible for us to take a trip to Sullivan's Island also.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone that wants a reasonably priced hotel that is clean, comfortable, and not a far distance to downtown. It is also very easy to find if you are driving yourself!

We did find some great places downtown for drinks and food. Hanks Seafood was wonderful, the best she crab soup that we had. Also Henrys had some great shrimp. The griffon had some wonderful fish and chips. last but not least if you like cheap drinks and good company definitely try Big Johns on East Bay. We heard that Cru Cafe was also wonderful, but it was closed the night we were going to try it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends